Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Win Traders in Season 9 and Beyond

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Win Traders in Season 9 and Beyond
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
08.07.2018 , 07:15 AM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey folks,

Congrats to everyone who participated in Ranked PVP Season 9! It was a hard fought Season and we look forward to seeing you around the fleet with your weapons, mounts, and flairs. One thing that unfortunately comes up during and after a Season is about players who cheat, and in particular, win trade. These are players who manipulate Ranked matchmaking to play with and against specific players in an effort coordinate winning and losing, allowing them to boost a specific characters ratings. This behavior is against our Terms of Service and is something that players have to endure and we have to combat every season. With Season 9 gone and 10 in process, we wanted to provide a status update on win trading in The Old Republic.

Starting with the end of Season 9, we now have a zero-tolerance policy on win trading.

This action has already happened with players who were caught win trading during S9. For these players, including their first offense:
  • Suspension time, up to seven days.
  • Every character on their account will have their Group and Solo rating set to one.
  • Depending on severity further action can occur, such as zeroing out Ranked Currency or permanent account closure.

In addition to the above bullets we are going to be making some systemic changes to assist in curbing this behavior. In a future game update any character that uses a character transfer will have its Ranked rating reset. We have also continued to make improvements behind the scenes in how we use analytics to track down and action win traders.

I do want to take this time to say thank you to the vast majority of you who continue to play legitimately. Also, to all of you who continue to report cheaters to myself, Keith, and customer support. Please keep letting us know as you spot bad behavior in PvP. Together we can keep Ranked PvP a place where players can compete in a fair environment.

Thanks everyone.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

DarthWoad
08.07.2018 , 07:16 AM | #2
First of all,
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

Starting with the end of Season 9, we now have a zero-tolerance policy on win trading.
That's a yikes from me on that one. Took until Season 9? So everyone who win traded before is okay?

But thanks for the continued support for this, we appreciate you are paying attention to this and trying to make warzones a fun experience. But I have a few questions to ask.

How do you know if a person deliberately plays badly so the other team wins, even though it's very subtle? What about if a player leaves a warzone for whatever reason, does my rating go down still? How do you truly know what a person is thinking?

What about queue dodgers too? How do you prevent this?

What about players who have bad gear? What about players who have just started their first match?

Of course we want to get rid of win traders, but what other measures aside from group compositions do you have to make solo ranked more balanced?
Founder of The Old Republic
Returning to the game? Get 7 days FREE subscription by clicking here

Talon_strikes
08.07.2018 , 07:24 AM | #3
There are still a lot of backfillers, wintraders, exploiters, que decliners, que syncers, and the like left to be taken care of, but thank you so much for this thread, Eric. This is something players like me, TrixxieTriss, merovejec, and others have been waiting for. A lot more needs to be done, but this is a huge step in the right direction. Hopefully more ban waves continue to clean house. Keep it up!

Also, if I may ask, what about those that were actually innocent but were caught in the crossfire of these ban waves? Will they be compensated for being erroneously targeted?
Do you want free 7 days of subscription time? And one free server transfer?
With a bundle of goodies? And obtain these rewards every 90 days?
Then click my referral link and login to an existing account, or create a new one, for these rewards today! Don't forget to bookmark it too!

auroroavalor
08.07.2018 , 07:26 AM | #4

This action has already happened with players who were caught win trading during S9. For these players, including their first offense
-eric
Good to see action being taken against win traders, I have a few questions.

What about backfillers, those who abused the decline system to artificially inflate their rating?

What about botters, players who queue into anywhere between 4-7 other accounts that they're controlling?

And lastly and most importantly, what about those players you've banned under the guise of win trading who did not partake in that action?
Auro
<Carried> I <It's Lit> I <Failure>
How to Sorc Master Blaster
Twitch Youtube

Going
08.07.2018 , 07:27 AM | #5
Pretty good plan, I like this a lot.
Please make sure that you are aware that some illegitimate players are mass reporting players who played legitimately in season 9, and for future season. With the level of punishment you plan to have, resetting or banning from number of reports would be pretty tough on a person who played legit.
There are quite a few who didn’t receive punishment that were very obvious about win trading.
Deceiving Believing - Going - Medsrus

Godlovesugly - Netsrus -Usabuildsufos

Zerileth
08.07.2018 , 07:32 AM | #6

Season 9.... quick to respond....

I'd make a dumb criminal. This stuff confuses me.
Happy Holidays!

Member: 50,000 Club! (soon 49,010 )

TUXs
08.07.2018 , 07:47 AM | #7
Good!!! It's long overdue.

Sadly, my losses in ranked come from being beaten by much better players and my few wins are from being carried
All warfare is based on deception • If his forces are united, separate them • If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near • A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer • 7-day FREE sub • FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Metthew
08.07.2018 , 07:48 AM | #8
I know for fact that you haven't cleared out all queue decliners, though I clearly see you caught at least two out of the four famous ones on Darth Malgus. Nicely done, but not yet enough!

I recently cancelled my sub, but I'll gladly resub if you end up punishing all four of them and denying them rewards
Erhart / Wilhemine | Darth Malgus | <Take a Seat>

omaan
08.07.2018 , 08:10 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthWoad View Post
First of all,

That's a yikes from me on that one. Took until Season 9? So everyone who win traded before is okay?

But thanks for the continued support for this, we appreciate you are paying attention to this and trying to make warzones a fun experience. But I have a few questions to ask.

How do you know if a person deliberately plays badly so the other team wins, even though it's very subtle? What about if a player leaves a warzone for whatever reason, does my rating go down still? How do you truly know what a person is thinking?

What about queue dodgers too? How do you prevent this?

What about players who have bad gear? What about players who have just started their first match?

Of course we want to get rid of win traders, but what other measures aside from group compositions do you have to make solo ranked more balanced?
queue dodge isnt against rulles lol and never was. And yeah there are things devs will never prove. Look at current top 2 pt in sr... this guy had a rename a few months ago but before that he was called big gay. So this guy was queueing with his friend ALL season, and when they got in one team they both played good but when his friend was puted into enemy team guess what happened...yeah he was playing terribly BAD with intention. Literally he was just attacking with auto attack, sitting in stealth too long etc.

There are things which cant be proved. And as you may see, this pt is still top 2 in sr.

EricMusco
08.07.2018 , 08:42 AM | #10 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
To address a few of the questions in the thread:
  • We use a variety of data points to verify players who are win trading, backfilling, etc. We check data against numerous known forms of "cheating" players can use in Ranked.
  • We do not suspend or action anyone based only on player reports. Even if a player has a large number of reports, this does not impact whether we take action or not, all players are verified through data.
  • If someone feels they were incorrectly actioned, they should follow the instructions in the message they received.
  • If you feel players were missed, as always please be sure to report them in-game and/or privately to Keith or myself.
  • We have been taking action starting this morning and through maintenance, the leaderboard is likely not a proper reflection of current ratings (but should be later today).
  • We have always taken action against folks who cheat in Ranked. However, the action we were taking previously wasn't doing a good enough job of curbing that behavior. That is why we are ramping up the action we are taking.

Thanks everyone.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]