Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tank Shielding Changes Coming in 5.9.2

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Tank Shielding Changes Coming in 5.9.2
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

yellow_
08.01.2018 , 09:28 PM | #241
Quote: Originally Posted by Rafiknoll View Post
Greeeaaat. I directed all my mats (which got farmed in the nice and slow conquest method in order not to ruin ranked) to my tank as soon as I heard about this, and now I get to shelve it for one more patch.

At least thanks for the heads up, but how long of a time period are we talking about between 5.9.2 and 5.9.3?
but dps gear will still be better

Rafiknoll
08.01.2018 , 11:46 PM | #242
Quote: Originally Posted by yellow_ View Post
I disagree there. I think the damage dealt difference you gain from DPS stats is less than the damage reduction difference you would gain from shield+absorb. At least for objective PVP a defensive tank is better than a more pressuring tank, and in arenas, the "focus tank" tactic won't work anymore, and a good tank who can guard swap very well would not just be burnt through.

KendraP
08.01.2018 , 11:51 PM | #243
Quote: Originally Posted by Rafiknoll View Post
I disagree there. I think the damage dealt difference you gain from DPS stats is less than the damage reduction difference you would gain from shield+absorb. At least for objective PVP a defensive tank is better than a more pressuring tank, and in arenas, the "focus tank" tactic won't work anymore, and a good tank who can guard swap very well would not just be burnt through.
To the hammers in this game, all problems appear to be nails.

Anyway, I'll be going to actual tank also, minus defense as much as possible anyway. As objective based PvPers we see things very differently than those who play a format where killing first is all that matters.

cough I mean, glory to the ranked overlords who know everything!

phalczen
08.02.2018 , 07:13 AM | #244
This bums me out. This was a huge appeal of 5.9.2 for me. I was looking forward to queueing up with my tanks. Looks like I'll have to wait a few months.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

Mubrak
08.02.2018 , 08:39 AM | #245
Quote: Originally Posted by phalczen View Post
This bums me out. This was a huge appeal of 5.9.2 for me. I was looking forward to queueing up with my tanks. Looks like I'll have to wait a few months.
Would you rather have the dps specs that do lots of white damage (Carnage, Engineering, Lethality) lose almost half their damage for a few months? (On the pts, any opponent absorbed white damage unless it was a crit).
Let us turn off that gaudy flashing icon over every vendor's head.
Let us sort our companion list and hide or kick out the unwanted ones!

http://www.swtor.com/r/rszTdG

Lhancelot
08.02.2018 , 09:24 AM | #246
Quote: Originally Posted by yellow_ View Post
I hope this is wrong, or at least the change makes it so a defensive tank is equal to a dps tank.

That would be fine too, then you got choices and one wouldn't be superior over the other. People will always pick the one that is more powerful, so if they ended up fairly equal in performance that would be best.
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Iíd still like to know how you find someoneís legacy name if they donít display it?
Quote: Originally Posted by omaan View Post
Uh you don't know it because it is a secret knowledge of ranked players who use it to see the real appearance of other players through the force.

Pizza_boy
08.02.2018 , 10:42 AM | #247
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

Quick heads up, this change will not be happening for 5.9.2. It is still something we would like to do in a future update (likely 5.9.3) but there are some critical bugs we discovered which prevent it from being introduced in this patch.

I will pass on more info as I have it, thanks everyone.

-eric
Literally critical bugs
Laet
<Failure>

dipstik
08.02.2018 , 11:54 AM | #248
Quote: Originally Posted by Pizza_boy View Post
Literally critical bugs
thats a good one

phalczen
08.02.2018 , 12:13 PM | #249
Quote: Originally Posted by Mubrak View Post
Would you rather have the dps specs that do lots of white damage (Carnage, Engineering, Lethality) lose almost half their damage for a few months? (On the pts, any opponent absorbed white damage unless it was a crit).
Oh no donít get me wrong, I totally think that bug is a no-go. I understand WHY they had to delay this change. Iím just sad that they could not fix the bug in time for August 7, even with four working days to go before the patch at the time of Ericís post.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

kissingaiur
08.02.2018 , 12:14 PM | #250
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
I hope this is wrong, or at least the change makes it so a defensive tank is equal to a dps tank.

That would be fine too, then you got choices and one wouldn't be superior over the other. People will always pick the one that is more powerful, so if they ended up fairly equal in performance that would be best.
Tanks in dps were already tanky without mit gearing. Why would making mit gear slightly more tanky remove the massive benefit to dps gear has? It wonít.
Hothothothothothotho
"I need you all to know that Iíve transcended ranked pvp by reading about it on the forums"
5.6 PvP Operative Healing / twitch.tv/kissingaiur