Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Upcoming Matchmaking Changes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Upcoming Matchmaking Changes
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
06.04.2018 , 03:52 PM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey folks,

Matchmaking is another place that we wanted to make some pretty big improvements for Game Update 5.9.2. Below you will find our planned changes:
  • All Warzone and Starfighter queues are now cross-faction
  • The Unranked Warzone queue will now always prioritize Warzones over Arenas. An Arena match will only pop if there are not enough players to populate a full Warzone match at that time.
  • Role Balancing:
    • Matchmaking will never place more than 2 tanks or healers on the same team in a Warzone or 1 tank or healer for an Arena.
    • Matchmaking will always do its best to balance the amount of tanks and healers on each team. If there are 2 healers, each team will receive one if possible, the same is true of tanks.
    • In situations where there are an odd number of tanks / healers, matchmaking will do its best to place the combined number of tanks and healers evenly (example: there are 3 healers and 1 tank, matchmaking will attempt to make the teams 2 healers vs 1 tank 1 healer.)
  • Skill Balancing:
    • Matchmaking will more strongly take player skill into account when making teams.
    • Premade groups queuing for Ranked and Unranked Warzones and GSF will now have their matchmaking skill based on the highest rated member, not the teamís average rating.
    • Galactic Starfighter matchmaking has been improved to better account for player experience along with their currently selected ship loadout.

All of these changes have the goal of making Warzone and Starfighter matches pop more regularly and be more balanced overall. Let us know your thoughts!

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

snave
06.04.2018 , 03:57 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
[*]Premade groups queuing for Ranked and Unranked Warzones and GSF will now have their matchmaking skill based on the highest rated member, not the teamís average rating.

-eric[/color]
Hey Eric, is this based on Solo / Group ranked rating or are we now getting an unranked rating too?

Mournblood
06.04.2018 , 03:58 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by snave View Post
Hey Eric, is this based on Solo / Group ranked rating or are we now getting an unranked rating too?
I had the same question. There is no "rating" in unranked (regular) WZs. Unless they are talking about Valor rating?
Mourne, Executor, Grim Determination (SS)

"Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational guild!"

Jmenks
06.04.2018 , 04:03 PM | #4
Better late than never I guess. I can't complain about these changes too much, unless they just don't work when released lol.

Also curious to what Snave asked as well.

Star Forge
(bot)

Neulwen
06.04.2018 , 04:08 PM | #5
  • All Warzone and Starfighter queues are now cross-faction
Will Imp vs Rep Civil War, Novare and Voidstar matches still exist?
The electrons are singing.

kodrac
06.04.2018 , 04:08 PM | #6
  • The Unranked Warzone queue will now always prioritize Warzones over Arenas. An Arena match will only pop if there are not enough players to populate a full Warzone match at that time.
Awesome

Role Balancing:
  • Matchmaking will never place more than 2 tanks or healers on the same team in a Warzone or 1 tank or healer for an Arena.
Awesome

Skill Balancing:
  • Matchmaking will more strongly take player skill into account when making teams.
What kind of wizardry is this? How does it know if I suck at my class or not?
One FREE character transfer -> CLICKY plus 7 days FREE -> FAQ

teclado
06.04.2018 , 04:09 PM | #7
This looks awesome at first glance.

I echo the question posed by Snave and Mournblood.
SS
Malovo - Marauder

Wimbleton
06.04.2018 , 04:10 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Mournblood View Post
Valor rating?
hahahahahahahaha

EricMusco
06.04.2018 , 04:11 PM | #9 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by snave View Post
Actually, since SWTOR launched players have always had a "rating" behind the scenes. I am hesitant to say rating since this isn't the same thing as your Ranked score, but it's the easiest way to explain it. This is more of a way that we approximate player skill solely for the purposes of matchmaking. This is also the reason we don't expose this information, since it is not really a rating (like Elo, etc).

In 5.9.2 we are making optimizations in how we use this information along with things like role, spec, gear, and more to try to create the most balanced teams we can.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Elusive_Thing
06.04.2018 , 04:13 PM | #10
Actually, since SWTOR launched players have always had a "rating" behind the scenes. I am hesitant to say rating since this isn't the same thing as your Ranked score, but it's the easiest way to explain it. This is more of a way that we approximate player skill solely for the purposes of matchmaking. This is also the reason we don't expose this information, since it is not really a rating (like Elo, etc).

In 5.9.2 we are making optimizations in how we use this information along with things like role, spec, gear, and more to try to create the most balanced teams we can.

-eric
So the skill rating would remain invisible to the players and only utilised by the matchmaker. That sounds pretty alright.