Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Planned Warzone Changes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Planned Warzone Changes
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lhancelot
06.04.2018 , 01:08 PM | #271
Quote: Originally Posted by kissingaiur View Post
I disagree with the fact that shorter warzones is a small change. Look at the big picture, shorter warzones Iíll result in a larger pool to pick from when creating matches. That means player diversity in matches will be a lot better, you wonít be playing against the same premade over and over again. Then add cross faction on to that. Pops could happen instantly, even more player diversity, it could be enough of a player pool then to implement soft match making (which to me could be the intent). Shorter warzone is a great step into the right direction which will result in a healthier pvp population.

This is a great change I donít understand why players are butt hurt about it.
I agree, it's not a small change per se. My sentiment is that it's actually a large change, but I fear a small change towards bettering the WZ experience.

As I said before, I personally rarely think to myself how awful a WZ is due to length of time. As it stands, if someone wants to queue for short matches in the WZs they do have ranked they can queue for.

I'd like to understand how shortening lengths of matches = healthier pvp population.

You might be right, but I fail to make the connection. Faster pops doesn't mean more diversity, slower pops will still have the same pool of players to pick from and let's be honest we all know eachother, anyways.

I just view alterations to the game in the light of 'if it's not broke don't fix it.'

I am open to trying PTS and test the changes out. Maybe shortening matches will be great, but it seems to be addressing an issue no one ever complains about.

Let's fix something that isn't broken, instead of focusing on some other more glaring issues like class balance and staleness of some class performances in PVP.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates

Lhancelot
06.04.2018 , 01:27 PM | #272
Quote: Originally Posted by Mournblood View Post
Fairly off topic here, but you essentially just described (DPS) PTs. If you want lots of punch with little or no DCDs, go play an AP or Pyro PT. Then come back and tell us how much fun you're having with that.
I played merc DPS when it was the posterchild for glass-cannon prior to 5.0. I also played PT from 2.0-3.0 when it was a fairly powerful DPS, in fact I appropriately named my PT back then Overpowered-pt, so I understand how PTs are now compared to their past iteration.

Sorry you don't like hearing it, but mercs have too many DCDs. It's true.

I aint saying strip all of them off to make them as they used to be, I played hundreds of hours on my mando/merc when they had awful DCDs so I understand they don't deserve to have them all taken away, however I personally enjoyed the class better when it had tons of punch and no DCDs compared to how it is now.

The merc class bores me now, and I grow weary of FOTM players on mercs that brag in WZs how "it took all 6 of you to kill me you noobs! lolol." Come on. The class is overperforming in the DCDs department, and you know it.

I agree PTs are too easy to melt with focused damage. PT was once my favorite class, but many changes have made it less fun.

I don't know why both of these facts can't be addressed without you being defensive when it's mentioned mercs have too many DCDs and not enough punch. It's my opinion of course.

Mournblood
06.04.2018 , 02:03 PM | #273
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
Sorry you don't like hearing it, but mercs have too many DCDs. It's true.
I don't really care what anyone says about Mercs. Bioware had the opportunity to nerf them in 5.9 but they weren't touched. But if some players have their way, Mercs would be cast down with PTs, and frankly, good players still manage to kill Mercs. Personally, after 5.5 years of playing melee DPS classes, PT in particular, I got tired of being at a disadvantage the last two years and waiting for Bioware to address that. I rolled a Merc about 2 months ago, and I'm enjoying the hell out of playing a ranged DPS class with some of the best DCDs in the game. If they ever neuter Mercs as they've done with some other classes, I'll simply jump to whatever is better. I've wasted too much time and energy getting upset about balance changes (or lack thereof) that I have zero control over, so for my own entertainment value, I've resolved to play FotM in PvP until either I quit or the game is shut down, whichever comes first.

(And for the record, I'm not one of those players that talks smack in PvP or LOL that it took 3 people to focus me down on my Merc. Honestly, I'm not even as good on my Merc as I was on my PT.)
Mourne, Guild Leader, Grim Determination (SS)

"Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational guild!"

Lhancelot
06.04.2018 , 02:25 PM | #274
I don't really care what anyone says about Mercs. Bioware had the opportunity to nerf them in 5.9 but they weren't touched. But if some players have their way, Mercs would be cast down with PTs, and frankly, good players still manage to kill Mercs. Personally, after 5.5 years of playing melee DPS classes, PT in particular, I got tired of being at a disadvantage the last two years and waiting for Bioware to address that. I rolled a Merc about 2 months ago, and I'm enjoying the hell out of playing a ranged DPS class with some of the best DCDs in the game. If they ever neuter Mercs as they've done with some other classes, I'll simply jump to whatever is better. I've wasted too much time and energy getting upset about balance changes (or lack thereof) that I have zero control over, so for my own entertainment value, I've resolved to play ForM in PvP until either I quit or the game is shut down, whichever comes first.

(And for the record, I'm not one of those players that talks smack in PvP or LOL that it took 3 people to focus me down on my Merc. Honestly, I'm not even as good on my Merc as I was on my PT.)
I understand. But you left out the part, you only considered the part you did not like being, "take some of their DCDs away." I also added add more punch to their DPS.

I aint saying gimp them to the way they used to be, I played them when they were basically like PTs are now, glass cannon punch but zero DCDs. That's not fun when you get focused, it's frustrating.

But they could bump up their punch a tad, and drop some of the infinite DCDs they have now. A great player on a merc is really, really hard to deal with. Add guard and heals on top of that great player and they truly are immortal.

My only issue is if they gimp DPS merc DCDs, they'd probably gimp healing mercs DCDs too. That would be bad. Healing mercs need everything they got right now and some would argue they could use a buff.

I think class balance can be very subjective. It depends on what meta (4v4 or 8v8) as well as skill of players you are talking about. It's hard to balance all the classes to function equally in all forms of PVP as well as being equal in the hands of all player types.

There are only a few classes I really think jump out to me that need changes, and most of the changes I'd prefer seeing would be to buff weaker classes and not nerf stronger ones.

Vissionary
06.04.2018 , 02:26 PM | #275
And for the record, I'm not one of those players that talks smack in PvP or LOL that it took 3 people to focus me down on my Merc.
<--- Guilty, I just get chatty when I am nervous, or free casting, or running for my life, or tired, or bored, or I like your outfit, or I've seen you around before (I think I may just be chatty TBH)... but I play a combat medic so it usually takes 5 people to focus me down, anything less and I feel bad lol.

Also, Hi Mourne!
Satele Shan's #1 Big Spoon

Mournblood
06.04.2018 , 02:51 PM | #276
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
IBut you left out the part, you only considered the part you did not like being, "take some of their DCDs away." I also added add more punch to their DPS.

I aint saying gimp them to the way they used to be, I played them when they were basically like PTs are now, glass cannon punch but zero DCDs. That's not fun when you get focused, it's frustrating.
Right, but you've been playing the game long enough now I think that you know all too well what a slippery slope nerfs tend to be, and it wouldn't take much to make Mercs like PTs are right now. The bigger picture here is that there is always going to be a FotM. This has been true in every single MMO I've ever played (I've played 10 MMOs, including this one). It took me a while to come to terms with it, but I've come to accept that and just roll with the balance changes, such as they are. In end, it's about what's fun for ME that guided my decision to roll a FotM class, and eventually, that will change to something else. As long as Sorcs/Sages don't be become demi-gods again like they were the first 6 months or so of this game, I've got everything else covered.

Quote: Originally Posted by Vissionary View Post
<--- Guilty, I just get chatty when I am nervous, or free casting, or running for my life, or tired, or bored, or I like your outfit, or I've seen you around before (I think I may just be chatty TBH)... but I play a combat medic so it usually takes 5 people to focus me down, anything less and I feel bad lol.

Also, Hi Mourne!
Hi Vision!

In your defense, you're not toxic. Yes, you do heckle sometimes, but other times you are just being social. I've told you in the past that it never bothers me, I just lack the ability to multi-task and say hello back (especially when I was playing one-handed for a few months).
Mourne, Guild Leader, Grim Determination (SS)

"Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational guild!"

Rion_Starkiller
06.04.2018 , 03:03 PM | #277
Quote: Originally Posted by snave View Post
You're not overestimating, people are making vacuum comparisons and aren't looking at the real game implications.

If you have a "losing" team and they cap 1-0-1 (with your team having one and the enemy the other) you always lose because the body count needed to stall them will more than make up any stall duration, this is different to before where you could stall the 0 or neutral node to win the game. If you're 1-0-1 in your favour, as in you control the two nodes, then you still win in exactly the same way. So basically this removes the only win condition when you're vs a "stronger" team while keeping the rest the same. It also encourages brain dead zerging because kills win games now amirite!

Contrary to some of the people posting here, 1 or 2 players stalling a superior number of players with superior dps / comp and actually playing the map is far more skilled than just spurting your dps advantage everywhere.

They bioware'd it.
Is that your premade vs enemy pugs? because that's not skill, that's farming objectives from noobs.
-Beruhl
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Soonô
Quote: Originally Posted by Trolltar View Post
I believe he's quoting a frequent contributor to these forums. His name is Strawman.

Kazz_Devlin
06.04.2018 , 03:29 PM | #278
Quote: Originally Posted by kissingaiur View Post
I disagree with the fact that shorter warzones is a small change. Look at the big picture, shorter warzones Iíll result in a larger pool to pick from when creating matches. That means player diversity in matches will be a lot better, you wonít be playing against the same premade over and over again. Then add cross faction on to that. Pops could happen instantly, even more player diversity, it could be enough of a player pool then to implement soft match making (which to me could be the intent). Shorter warzone is a great step into the right direction which will result in a healthier pvp population.

This is a great change I donít understand why players are butt hurt about it.
yeah but thats predicated on the fact that you have a diverse pool to pull form when 95% of the pop is playing I win classes the odds of pulling diverse classes in don't necessarily go up. So basically if you have a high population of players playing the typical defacto I win classes Merc|Sniper|Jug| Sorc heals the odds of pulling those class from the pool are high.

EricMusco
06.04.2018 , 03:41 PM | #279 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

There have been a lot of great comments in this thread about the currently planned changes. Based on that feedback here are a few additional changes:
  • Novare Coast
    • Any characters who leave the starting area prior to the match starting will die.
    • Players will no longer be able to cap a point outside of the intended 20m range (weíre looking at you, Phase Walk)
  • Void Star
    • Characters who attempt to hack through the hangar doors to place a charge from inside the hallway, will die.
-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Lhancelot
06.04.2018 , 03:49 PM | #280
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

There have been a lot of great comments in this thread about the currently planned changes. Based on that feedback here are a few additional changes:
  • Novare Coast
    • Any characters who leave the starting area prior to the match starting will die.
    • Players will no longer be able to cap a point outside of the intended 20m range (weíre looking at you, Phase Walk)
  • Void Star
    • Characters who attempt to hack through the hangar doors to place a charge from inside the hallway, will die.
-eric
I wonder how many times this happens. I don't want to jinx myself, but I have never seen this happen lol.

Anyway, sounds like a lot of death for hackers in the game. GG.

Hey Eric, Snave wrote a nice post, in case you missed it, it is here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=950101

Perhaps you and the devs might find some nice ideas in his thread too.