Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is your basis for opposing a group-searching system in SWTOR?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions

dcarterwww
12.30.2011 , 10:29 AM | #91
I actually prefer Aion's way of doing it. It's a message board type thing where you post exactly what you want and you can apply to it, it shows the amount of members and you can put exactly what you're looking for. If anything I'd prefer that but this game tbh doesn't need anything.

The current LFG tool works just fine.

Saberolson
12.30.2011 , 12:10 PM | #92
There are a lot of things from wow I dont want(gear score and damage meters). A dungeon finder is one thing i would KILL for at this point. After spending 40 minutes doing nothing except staring at the chat box trying to get into a group for a FP, I really would kill for one. Having to find a group does not, I repeat does not increase socializing. It just increase chat spam.

We dont need a group finder, just a FP group finder. I rarly have problems for heroics. But finding a group for a FP, esp as DPS, is a nightmare. I started as a tank, but my guild doesnt need any more, so i went to DPS. But at this point, I may say screw it and finish leveling as a tank just to make it a little easier. But its always the healer that is hard to find.

At least with a dungeon finder, I could go do some stuff while a group was being formed. Even if we still had to go back to the fleet to start it. No sweat. I could live with that. But I HATE sitting on the fleet.

I joined a guild whos avg level is a bit above me, so until I catch up, I have to pug. So please dont tell me to find a guild.

mogishu
12.30.2011 , 12:50 PM | #93
I am not apposed to a group finder provided it is not cross server, but honestly I have no trouble finding a group. It may be different at level 50 since a majority of the population is still not there yet.

My opposition to a cross sever group finder is that it does hurt the community and removes accountability and responsibility for your actions because chances are you will never see that person again.

Same server group finder however I am all for. It makes things easier sure. I believe they could easily add it. They do have the LFG flagging already and making that server wide rather then zone wide could potentially make things easier.
"Fear. Fear attracts the fearful. The strong. The weak. The innocent. The corrupt. Fear. Fear is my ally." - Darth Maul

Synti
12.30.2011 , 12:55 PM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by Graburr View Post
but, athiss is also a lvl20 instance, so you want people around lvl20 - where are these people? taris. so just type /who, put "taris" in the search terms and voila: you see who's in taris and who's flagged. and even people who are not flagged are probably ok with doing an instance, but don't want to sit around on the fleet. so hop in your space ship, go to taris, ask in chat - if it's not 5 am in the morning you'll probably get enough answers to fill 2 groups. then you take the shuttle back which brings right to the instance and there you go.

does it require a bit more incentive to get a group? definitely. but that's a minor issue compared to the advantages (and even that issue can be improved by a more powerful lfg-tool - the way it works in other games).
I've been sitting around doing exactly what you just described, trying to either get some of my remaining Hoth heroic missions done or get a group for Colicoid War Games. There are current 5 people, including me, on Hoth and a whole 3 people on Belsavis. I've whispered them all, spammed my share of General on fleet AND the planets in question, and after two hours I have not progressed one bit.

This is NOT a user-friendly system. In fact, it isn't a system at all. Basically it is just a way to list people in different zones of the game. That's it. The notion that it is fine and dandy to make people keep endless lists of people, make dozens of whispers and waste hours of time to just do one flashpoint is simply beyond me. It is absolutely ridiculous and there is no justification for it.

What is even more ludicrous is that people insist that it "supports and builds the in-game community."

What a load of crap. We had the exact same thing in WoW for years and it didn't build a darn thing. All it did was force people to essentially maintain pages and pages of "friends" that they mostly didn't even know, spam their whispers and run around in cities, inspecting and begging people to go run instances with them. I remember it really well, you honestly couldn't sit still more than 5 minutes without someone whispering and asking you to an instance.

Most people I knew admitted they had no idea who the people on their lists actually were. If they ran a dungeon with someone, they just added them. Other than that, it was simply a cycle of nameless nobodies that they whispered through every time they wanted to run a dungeon or put together a raid, and even with endless people on your lists it could take hours to get a group together. Not to mention the fun when people got bored of waiting and left, or the further fun when people excused themselves during the dungeon itself and you had to go back to the cities to spam some more channels.

It isn't a realistic system and it builds absolutely nothing, other than blood pressure and crankiness.

Exertim
12.30.2011 , 01:28 PM | #95
Not having a dungeon finder system in-game is a mistake; I could understand if the developers wanted the playerbase to explore and find these instances, but the entrances are all (with the exception of the two on Ilum) located in the Fleet.

Spamming general chat is archaic, time consuming, and most of all, not fun. Especially when you try to fill up a group for over 30 minutes.

Juumanistra
12.30.2011 , 03:40 PM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by Synti View Post
I've been sitting around doing exactly what you just described, trying to either get some of my remaining Hoth heroic missions done or get a group for Colicoid War Games. There are current 5 people, including me, on Hoth and a whole 3 people on Belsavis. I've whispered them all, spammed my share of General on fleet AND the planets in question, and after two hours I have not progressed one bit.

This is NOT a user-friendly system. In fact, it isn't a system at all. Basically it is just a way to list people in different zones of the game. That's it. The notion that it is fine and dandy to make people keep endless lists of people, make dozens of whispers and waste hours of time to just do one flashpoint is simply beyond me. It is absolutely ridiculous and there is no justification for it.

What is even more ludicrous is that people insist that it "supports and builds the in-game community."

What a load of crap. We had the exact same thing in WoW for years and it didn't build a darn thing. All it did was force people to essentially maintain pages and pages of "friends" that they mostly didn't even know, spam their whispers and run around in cities, inspecting and begging people to go run instances with them. I remember it really well, you honestly couldn't sit still more than 5 minutes without someone whispering and asking you to an instance.

Most people I knew admitted they had no idea who the people on their lists actually were. If they ran a dungeon with someone, they just added them. Other than that, it was simply a cycle of nameless nobodies that they whispered through every time they wanted to run a dungeon or put together a raid, and even with endless people on your lists it could take hours to get a group together. Not to mention the fun when people got bored of waiting and left, or the further fun when people excused themselves during the dungeon itself and you had to go back to the cities to spam some more channels.

It isn't a realistic system and it builds absolutely nothing, other than blood pressure and crankiness.
Very well said.

Ultimately, the pro-Dungeon Finder group will win on this point, simply because of demographics. Unless Bioware can conjure a steady flow of new subscribers -- or folks rolling multiple alts -- to keep the pyramid-like level distribution of the launch, eventually you're going to have the torrent of warm bodies that allow the current "system" to operate cut off. When finding groups for Esseles/Black Talon, Hammer Station, and Athiss becomes half the chore it is to find them for Maelstrom Prison and Colicoid War Game, tunes will change with amazing speed.

But I can certainly wait until then. Bioware's got a full plate at the moment and, so long as the new subscriber torrent continues, the facade of functionality in the group-finding system can vainly persist. But an automated, cross-server flashpoint grouping system is inevitable, and peace should be made with that fact sooner rather than later.

Bonewhite
12.30.2011 , 04:37 PM | #97

Don't have one. Of course, I'd prefer a chat-based LFG system (like CoX) with some great filters and comments rather than WoW's fairly mindless random matching.

No one ever discusses alternatives to Blizzard Approved(tm) though.

Hairyzac
12.30.2011 , 05:19 PM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by Carakangaran View Post
I spent more than two hours spamming the Fleet General Channel and whisping various players to find some people to explore the Foundry.
I've been doing this for several days, and there's no way to find anyone anywhere.

It's NOT FUN. Period.

It's not fun not being able to explore a flashpoint, it's not fun being stuck on the Imperial Fleet to find someone to play with.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but even if a LFG tool is not fine by you, it's sometimes necessary to have something to find people to play with.
Those of us playing on early access servers mostly have no issues finding groups. Just give your launch server time for people to level up. Last night everyone and their mother was forming groups for Boarding Party and Foundry on my server.

Boarding Party is LEGIT fyi. Toughest FP yet!