Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tank Balance Changes in Game Update 5.9

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Tank Balance Changes in Game Update 5.9
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
04.05.2018 , 01:35 PM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

Let’s talk about the changes coming to Tanks in Game Update 5.9. There are two things that informed the changes you will find below. First, “skank tanks” are greatly overperforming in PvP. This is a player who is using a Tank Discipline but equipping DPS gear. Second, when comparing all tanks (regardless of gear) against the DPS targets we outlined last year, tanks are doing more damage than intended.

The summary of what we are changing in 5.9 is that tanks across the board will be doing less damage. To ensure that this doesn’t have a negative impact on their ability to tank/hold threat, we are greatly increasing their overall threat generation. This will mean that although they will commit less damage to an encounter, holding threat will not be any more difficult than it is today.

We are going to continue to monitor things beyond 5.9 and see if additional changes are needed.

-eric

Below is the detailed breakdown of changes.
Spoiler

Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

CarlGustaf
04.05.2018 , 03:05 PM | #2
and defense is still more or less useless in pvp. thanks for nothing

Just adapt guard, in such a way that the transfered damage gets mitigated by your defensiv stats. so not only endurance is a viable stat in pvp.
Natsu Dragonslayer Eideley
YOLO on T3-M4

Gimp aus Leidenschaft

Hellhog
04.05.2018 , 03:07 PM | #3
I guess this will help technically with asjusting the skank tank performance, how much I guess we'll see, but this also doesn't remotely curve the usage of skank tanks since all tanks are being nerfed across the board. Then again I don't think any tanks that took ranked seriously wore pure tank gear anyway so yea. I wonder what the PvE parse drop will be for each of the 3 classes, especially PTs.
Ayix - Assassin | Ayiq - Mercenary
Twitch - Aeyix - YouTube
All MM/VM Bosses & Timed Runs Cleared

Elssha
04.05.2018 , 03:09 PM | #4
This doesn't fix things at ALL!

The tanks might not do as much damage, but skank will still be the way to go vs an actual tank in PvP, especially from a ranked perspective.

It will be 2.2 DPS + healer + .9 tank (vs 2.9 DPS + healer + .9 tank)... but it will still outperform a "proper" 2 DPS + healer + tank

I thought you were going to make a min Defense req for PvP to cue as tank or (somehow) make PvP defense mean a damn XD

RikuvonDrake
04.05.2018 , 03:10 PM | #5
Very happy to see these adjustments!

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse - Darth Malgus

Ibokagain
04.05.2018 , 03:11 PM | #6
And yet DPS Jug/Guard, PT/VG, Sin/Shadow can still use guard?

Master-Excutor
04.05.2018 , 03:18 PM | #7
Nice now you have no reason any more to play PT Tank in PvE ore better to say,
no other tank as Asssasin good job Bioware.
Dread Master Exutoria
Complexíty, Deposer of The Dread Masters
Gatecrasher Swerty
Exutor, Conqueror of the Dread Fortress

TUXs
04.05.2018 , 03:24 PM | #8
How are you planning to offset these changes for PvE Eric? Will you be boosting DPS players damage for PvE since you're cutting tanks so much?

Tanks already sucked for leveling...this destroys them.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

masterceil
04.05.2018 , 03:27 PM | #9
Yeah, nerf our damage output and do piss for us in warzones. Thanks, team. You want me to just send you my Vanguard's balls in a box?
Appreciate the help/snark in the above post? Click here to help me out!
Celestial ArgonautsCelestial Dreadnauts
Star Forged from the Ebon Hawk cacd.enjin.com

Decidion
04.05.2018 , 03:28 PM | #10
Well, Im sure the thought that DPS is going to have to work that much harder in HM/NiM ops didn't even cross their minds. But this is typical of BioWare. They rarely, if ever, fix the actual problem and just apply band aid after band aid, never addressing the root cause (bad design in the first place).