Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I lack the Willpower (Mastery) to unsubscribe.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
I lack the Willpower (Mastery) to unsubscribe.

DocDAM
03.08.2018 , 05:58 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
I got her to look really close to Aubrey Plaza (wasn't going for that, but as it got closer I went with it, and the more I liked it (big Parks & Rec fan)).
Well, we could talk Parks & Rec - like how a character who was supposed to be in a couple of episodes became a highlight of a rocky 1st season and launched him into show and then movie stardom

Or we could go on ad nauseam about Andromeda misqueues

But then we'd be hijacking thread and moved to off-topic.

But, can you load your Ryder here?
My Refer a Friend link here. [Rules and Rewards]

ArdeliaAgain
03.08.2018 , 05:59 PM | #22
Here's what really sucks....it probably can't be fixed for you.

And that's not a knock on you, implying that you're unreasonable (it's your head...not for me to say), or that you can't be pleased. It IS saying that BW probably can't do enough to make you happy.

I've seen it several times...you've not had your expectations met for too long, and been playing mostly due to inertia. All that time you've kept logging in, it's been to something that disappoints you....over time, resentment's been building up. At this point, even if BW did everything you'd ever asked for, it might not be enough to undo that time....it'd probably just feel a day late and a dollar short.

I get it. I don't agree with you on the state of the game...I'm having fun...but I respect that your opinion is different, and I recognize the corner you're in. That sucks.

The one thing every game has in common is that nobody ever plays any game regularly forever, or even just forever. Everybody burns out sometimes, and everybody decides they're done eventually.

Sounds like, ready for it or not, you're there. I don't say this often, but I honestly think the best thing for you is to get out, go do something fun. Easier said than done, but I hate seeing anybody play a game to not have fun.

G'luck man.
When I talk about belief, why do you always assume I'm talking about God?

MikeCobalt
03.08.2018 , 08:29 PM | #23
I do dislike what's happening with SWTOR but at the same time....Don't really want to quit. That Zakuul story, how the companions were handled, Homogenizing our class's into one and other direction decisions based on personal tastes and not necessarily "Star Wars" I think has diminished the population/Income to a Point it seems Hope is more prevalent then Enthusiasm.

Ofcourse I *Hope it'll get better and all this *No News is actually *Secrecy (Although I've seen nothing to support that) but that's Hope right? ........

Ardrossan
03.08.2018 , 11:25 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by PetFish View Post
NB: I'm speaking for myself here and not the entire community.
I realize it's necessary to say that here, but is this common on other game forums? That is, is there a sizeable contingent of insane pedants on WoW's forums who will cry foul if a poster dares to use 'you' or 'we' to describe a feeling they as an individual have? I lol'd the first time I saw someone do that here, but was shocked to realize that it's considered normal.

Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
That still sounds like a form of addiction. 😉
Sounds like someone who doesn't have real addictions or know anyone who does. Naive people, in other words. No, your obsession with gaming is not an addiction. When it liquefies your organs from overuse, get back to me.
Quote: Originally Posted by kodrac View Post
Best to stay off the forums.

MingusPho
03.09.2018 , 10:49 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm-Cutter View Post
Or that girl/boyfriend you can't quite dump, just in case what you saw in them at the start of your relationship comes back.
This.

SWTOR is like having a relationship with someone who has borderline personality disorder---maybe their looks turn you on or something else they do that makes you want them even though they won't ever do right. They'll set your house on fire, empty your bank account, have an affair---you name it. And yet you can't bring yourself to kick them out.

PetFish
03.10.2018 , 12:31 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by ArdeliaAgain View Post
The one thing every game has in common is that nobody ever plays any game regularly forever, or even just forever. Everybody burns out sometimes, and everybody decides they're done eventually.

Sounds like, ready for it or not, you're there. I don't say this often, but I honestly think the best thing for you is to get out, go do something fun. Easier said than done, but I hate seeing anybody play a game to not have fun.

G'luck man.
Thanks for the understanding and kind words, to you and others as well.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ardrossan View Post
Sounds like someone who doesn't have real addictions or know anyone who does. Naive people, in other words. No, your obsession with gaming is not an addiction. When it liquefies your organs from overuse, get back to me.
Addictions aren't just physical and melt your insides and it's pretty narrow and insensitive of you to say something like this.

You're right, though, obsession is *not* the same as addiction, but anything that can be obsessed over can also be addicted to. Some countries, like Korea, even have special programs as part of their healthcare to deal with things like Internet and gaming addictions where there's people that have actually died while playing cuz they couldn't get away to even eat.

Before you call me out I've seen many addictions in my hospital as well as within my own family. It's not just about opioids or anything else you ingest, addictions are much more widespread than that.
Here's my referral link if you want your 7 days and free transfer:
www.swtor.com/r/SYTfDw
Remove Datacrons from Legacy and give them a meaningful % boost that scales with level.
RIP SW:ToR Subscription ... December 2012 - July 2018

LordTurin
03.10.2018 , 12:44 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Ardrossan View Post
I realize it's necessary to say that here, but is this common on other game forums? That is, is there a sizeable contingent of insane pedants on WoW's forums who will cry foul if a poster dares to use 'you' or 'we' to describe a feeling they as an individual have? I lol'd the first time I saw someone do that here, but was shocked to realize that it's considered normal.
It's done because people use the words "we" or "you" to give their argument more weight than it actually has. "We all love how much content BW is putting out right now. In fact, we'd like it if they put out even less!". Well, who is we? Seems a ridiculosu assertion to me, and congrats if you feel that way, but I will certainly call you out for including a decent chunk of the gaming community in that assertion. You are welcome to your opinion, but I'm not going to believe your opinion speaks for the masses without some kind of proof.

Sounds like someone who doesn't have real addictions or know anyone who does. Naive people, in other words. No, your obsession with gaming is not an addiction. When it liquefies your organs from overuse, get back to me.[/QUOTE]

This is honestly just not true, you should probably do some research on addiction before saying stuff like this. I would guess from your tone of post that you or someone you are close to has gone through physical addiction (basically where you are addicted to a substance that is unhealthy for you) which definitely sucks and I'm not going to say that other types of addiction are necessarily worse, but there are plenty of things people can be addicted to that don't physically harm you (gambling addiction is a good example, as eating addiction, and exercising can be one too).
Dragonslayer Mitthendil the Revanchist - Mercenary ||
Mitth'raw'nurudo from Beyond - Powertech || Elenmil the Revanchist - Scoundrel
Click this to say thank you if my post was helpful! :
http://www.swtor.com/r/lGKMGB

DocDAM
03.10.2018 , 08:58 AM | #28
Good replies on the "addiction vs. obsession"! So, it motivated me to do some quick googling. Looks like the Psychology Today includes many behavioral addictions (gambling, etc.), and believes they share some neurobiological features. As for the American Psychiatric Association, the latest DSM-5 includes gambling as an addiction, but is still not officially including the various other bahavorials until further data.

Bottom line: addiction is a definition, and an evolving one at that. Certainly some are much more severe, including the substance-abuse related ones. But that doesn't mean the behavioral ones can't be considered addictions as well.

Personal viewpoint: I'm firmly in the camp that games, and various other behavioral activities, can be considered addictions. And I think these games are deliberately designed to take advantage of it.
My Refer a Friend link here. [Rules and Rewards]

Kraytdragonegg
03.10.2018 , 10:04 AM | #29
I see where you could want to unsub. Personally, for me, 15$/month is quite a bit just for a game. As long as I level all my toons to 70 and they complete all the content I don't really desire to subscribe again (except to see the Theron bit tied up). I liked KOTFE but KOTET felt a lot less fun. If they'd continued the imaginative direction of the KOTFE story it could have been great.

psandak
03.10.2018 , 10:08 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Do you have any fun when you log on? I don't know anyone happy with the lack of development, but what we do have is still fun to play, and the people I play with make it the best game ever. If you don't already, find a group of players you fit in with, and play with them...you'd be amazed at how much stupid fun you can have doing the same **** over and over with the right people.
I have been playing MMOs for 20 years now and it all comes down to this. Sure there were other factors involved but every time I have quit an MMO the final straw was because I stopped enjoying playing with the people.

In addition, my mentality is that the moment I feel I "must" play is the moment I say "I'm taking a break". I do not unsubscribe - because the $78 every 6 months is not a hardship and most of the time these breaks come in the middle of that 6 month period so unsubbing is not really an option - but I simply choose to not play for a few days or a week or whatever. It is only when I "want" to play - and by that I mean that I want to do something specific in the game - that I sign in.

PetFish, not sure if you already do this, but one suggestion would be to remove the credit card from your subscription and only use game cards. This way, you must actively go and purchase a game card and then apply it to your account. This should give you the opportunity to ask the question: "do I really want to do this?" and make a choice not to. If you are already doing this and still cannot stop yourself, then maybe it is time for an intervention, but we - the Internet community - cannot do that.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date