Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Winter/Spring 2018 Roadmap Update

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Winter/Spring 2018 Roadmap Update
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

olagatonjedi
02.21.2018 , 01:05 PM | #611
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
Those are called normal content updates -- SWTOR used to release those in addition to the larger expansions. That it has now become an "either / or" situation is a pretty clear example of the game's decline in terms of resources and support.
Im going based off the words of the actual devs, not your version of it.

TUXs
02.21.2018 , 02:13 PM | #612
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
Those are called normal content updates -- SWTOR used to release those in addition to the larger expansions. That it has now become an "either / or" situation is a pretty clear example of the game's decline in terms of resources and support.
You know what's kinda striking to me? Oricon was released as a patch (2.4), not an expansion. We got a whole new world with reputation to grind, daily missions to complete and 2 FULL Operations as a freaking patch...comparing that to what we get now is disheartening. After a full year, Keith still couldn't release just ONE full Operation...
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

LordFell
02.21.2018 , 02:16 PM | #613
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
Im going based off the words of the actual devs, not your version of it.
Good?
...but we haven't even been told we're getting an expansion. Not in any form.

SolarSaenz
02.21.2018 , 02:24 PM | #614
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
You know what's kinda striking to me? Oricon was released as a patch (2.4), not an expansion. We got a whole new world with reputation to grind, daily missions to complete and 2 FULL Operations as a freaking patch...comparing that to what we get now is disheartening. After a full year, Keith still couldn't release just ONE full Operation...
2.4 was like the game's best update, IMO.

As to why 2.4 could release all the content it did (Oricon story, oricon dalies, and 2 FULL ops) and why SWTOR couldn't even release 1 complete op in a whole year (2017), I *HEARD* that development for 2.x stuff was in the works long before it was released. So, if that's true, it sounds reasonable (at least to me) that the oricon stuff was being worked on when SWTOR had the staff it did during development and/or close to launch.
Again, that is what I *HEARD*, which may or may not be true.

Also, take into consideration that if rumors are true, SWTOR doesn't have the resources ($$$ + personnel) it once had since supposedly the large majority of the resources are now allocated to Anthem .

So if those two things are true, then I don't think it's hard to imagine why 2.4 released the amount of content it did and why 2017 couldn't see the release of one FULL op.

I doubt I'm telling you anything you didn't already know or hear before.

SolarSaenz
02.21.2018 , 02:29 PM | #615
Quote: Originally Posted by LordFell View Post
...but we haven't even been told we're getting an expansion. Not in any form.
There are some YouTubers out there who seem convinced that we are indeed getting an expansion.

I don't know where this idea came from.
The only thing I can think of is that people read too much into Kieth's one off comment some time ago in a live stream where he said something like "I can't comment on next year's expansion plans" or something similar.

However, I would have thought all expansion rumors would be put to rest in the "roadmap" where Keith says
Quote:
We heard feedback from some of you indicating you missed having a more “traditional” expansion and you’d rather wait so it all comes at once. I like having updates released regularly versus waiting long periods of time in-between patches. Although this remains our current plan, we are also laying out what we’ll include in a 6.0 Game Update.
But, whatever. I guess I should just let people dream.

fishpeople
02.21.2018 , 02:32 PM | #616
Quote: Originally Posted by LordFell View Post
oh.
....I'm still expecting a reply to the Arcann ... thing, Eric and/or Keith.

You can't be unaware that a lot of us are unhappy about this really controversial decision... and while I don't expect you to unmake it, us anti-arcannites would at least appreciate a chance to get some closure with the King of All Mass Murderers, and at leas exile him for his crimes which, redeemed or not, cannot be forgotten.
I would like to know this too.

devilkat
02.21.2018 , 02:43 PM | #617
So, to me to seems like the devs are scrambling to create content on the fly after they were forced to scrap 2/3 of the story for Knights. Now, they are scrambling to finish story lines that were probably just ideas way back then. I'd like them to be honest and come up here and say that they need some time to develop more and better content. Maybe say the rest of the year will be mostly QoL patches and they'll focus on getting a good expansion ready for release next Jan or so. I'd be much less pessimistic if they did that. Creating on the fly sucks for everyone. Take some time, step back, and get s*** together and your customers will be much happier and more wiling to cut you some slack.
"My last partner didn't complain nearly this much"
"Your last partner got CRUSHED to death"
"AND NEVER ONCE COMPLAINED ABOUT IT"

olagatonjedi
02.21.2018 , 03:36 PM | #618
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
1) it hasnt been a full year since they started the operation release. You're cutting them short.

2) it goes to show you that whether its an "expansion" or "content update" or multiple, there is no rhyme or reason to the quality or quantity of content that is to be released, so there is no way to hold them to any official standard other than each of our personal standards

olagatonjedi
02.21.2018 , 03:41 PM | #619
Quote: Originally Posted by devilkat View Post
So, to me to seems like the devs are scrambling to create content on the fly after they were forced to scrap 2/3 of the story for Knights. Now, they are scrambling to finish story lines that were probably just ideas way back then. I'd like them to be honest and come up here and say that they need some time to develop more and better content. Maybe say the rest of the year will be mostly QoL patches and they'll focus on getting a good expansion ready for release next Jan or so. I'd be much less pessimistic if they did that. Creating on the fly sucks for everyone. Take some time, step back, and get s*** together and your customers will be much happier and more wiling to cut you some slack.
If they were honest, you woukdnt like them blaming the community for having to scrap the knights project that was likely the bulk of the content plan. Look at the dilemma - we want more content, but we want you to scrap all the time and effort you spent month on and come out with something different. The community put them in a no win situation. They didnt know how well received or poorly received the knights content was going to be from the masses.

EricMusco
02.21.2018 , 03:42 PM | #620 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by vadess View Post
Hi Eric and Keith,

Does 5.9 mark the end of the traitor storyline? Can I finally get Theron back?
Can confirm that 5.9 will mark the end of the traitor storyline. I am not going to answer the second question, you will just have to see how things play out. Similarly, we won't really answer many Theron related questions as to avoid any 5.9 spoilers .

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]