Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is wrong with you, Garza?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
What is wrong with you, Garza?

LordTurin
10.06.2016 , 06:08 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Frenesi View Post
Becouse she is military woman, and extremely competent at that. Some wars don't have place for morality - only for efficiency. And think about it some more:

What's inherently wrong with rakghoul plague? It's a weapon, and damn effective at that. It allows to wage war deep in enemy territory without losing soldiers. How many soldiers can be saved by deploying something like that? How many imperials will die from it, again, reducing the pressure on republic soldiers? it will leave infected planet pretty much permanently crippled. The only downside is how hard it is to clean up after it, but if you never intend to capture said planet yourself - it's win-win scenario.

Or how many of said republic soldiers will die if Bastion remains in imperial hands? How much weaker Republic will get in the result, how many more worlds will be lost and how many people will die to sith on those worlds? Isn't it better to sacrifice small bunch of insignificant civilians right now to ensure much bigger losses never happen?

As for Jaxo situation, it was pure math. Save 1 soldier, of few dozens. And that 1 soldier is pathetic little ***** crying for her life. It actually was one of the few light-sided choices I made nearly instantly for my trooper.

She does good for the Republic. Much more than any goody-two-shues senator or even most of jedi do. Her only **** up was the Eclipse squad, and even that had potential of huge reward in it.

Edit: What was that phrase on Voss you can tell to senator? "War is a killing contest, And I'm simply the best at it"?
A couple reasons:

1. You use something like the rackghoul plague, it opens the gate for the opponent to do so as well. War is messy as it, but if you have both sides using biological weapons that are incredibly hard to control and are easy to spread, at the end of the day you end up with a barren galaxy with nothing living except rackghouls. There is a reason that after WW1 basically all countries agreed to not use gas anymore, because the results were too horrific to handle. Not to mention the loss of civilian casualties that are just trying to live their lives they best they can.

Think of all the FPs and quests (heck there is an entire event surrounding the rackghoul plague), so its not something easy to handle; and that is with both sides actively trying to supress it. What would happen if both sides started unleashing the plague on the galaxy?

2. It's not quite as simple as her being some random soldier. Depending on how you select things if you are a male, you can start a relationship with Jaxo, and from my perspective, that relationship was far better done than the one with Elara (which was just kind of awkward). So now it becomes a matter of not picking based on value to the Republic (which keep in mind, Jaxo had never been captured, and all these soldiers had, so whats to say they won't turn around and get captured again right away anyway?) but now you have to determine if you are willing to sacrifice your love interest for a bunch of strangers.

Garza would make a good Sith, but I'm not sure that is a sterling recommendation when that is what the Republic is fighting against.
Dragonslayer Mitthendil the Revanchist - Mercenary ||
Mitth'raw'nurudo from Beyond - Powertech || Elenmil the Revanchist - Scoundrel
Click this to say thank you if my post was helpful! :
http://www.swtor.com/r/lGKMGB

Frenesi
10.06.2016 , 06:19 PM | #22
I feel that sith would use plague regardless of Republic actions. It's actually very weird that they never try it in any of the storylines (outside of Needles obviously).

As for Jaxo - well, I played femTrooper. Still, chosing second option in "save many people or the single one you love" in such situations is the single most dumb and egoistic decision you can make (hi there Matrix). Kinda romantic, but dumb as ****. There's a reason it's marked as darkside.

Just to clarify - that was purely to answer "why Garza scolds me for saving Jaxo". Becouse of math.
I just dropped in
To see in what condition my condition was in

Referal with some free crap.

JLazarillo
10.06.2016 , 08:51 PM | #23
Just to clarify - that was purely to answer "why Garza scolds me for saving Jaxo". Becouse of math.
Oh, I get why. It was more that I did it with a feeble excuse, as mentioned, and I knew it was feeble, but I wanted to see how it played out the other way, so I still did it. And then when Garza reacted, I was so "conditioned" by the story to think "Garza's a horrible person who hates my efforts to play superhero" that I just sort of reflexively felt like I'd done the "right" thing anyway.

Basically, I was desensitized to her criticism so hard that it actually ended up going in reverse. Even if it's one of the few cases where she's probably right, for the most part.

TBDNicodemus
10.13.2016 , 08:44 AM | #24
I feel that sith would use plague regardless of Republic actions. It's actually very weird that they never try it in any of the storylines (outside of Needles obviously).

As for Jaxo - well, I played femTrooper. Still, chosing second option in "save many people or the single one you love" in such situations is the single most dumb and egoistic decision you can make (hi there Matrix). Kinda romantic, but dumb as ****. There's a reason it's marked as darkside.

I get what your saying, it is a darkside choice to be sure, but its the one darkside choice I made as my trooper, I'll rush head long into danger, jump on the grenade to same my squad, but how many times have you been on a rescue mission to save one person, your entire time could have died in the process. Personally I'd risk my life to save my wife and children, I'd surely risk a strangers life to save my wife and children, it would take a lot, massive nuclear devastation, for my wife and children to not be priority number 1 for survival.

Jaxo may not be real but to my character she was peace in a galaxy of war, she was a good soldier sent to die, she deserved being saved, you want the POWs saved what the hell was the rest of my team doing, or perhaps you shouldn't have alienated the original havoc squad, and then we would have had enough troops to steam role these missions.

you being Garza not you personally
Nicorus TEH/RHG
Referral Link - get free 7 sub days, free transfer and perks if you go F2P.

JediMasterDMM
02.10.2018 , 08:49 PM | #25
how are the weaponized rakghouls disease useful for the war effort there just diseases that turn people into monsters.

SteveTheCynic
02.11.2018 , 06:41 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterDMM View Post
how are the weaponized rakghouls disease useful for the war effort there just diseases that turn people into monsters.
It's a fair question, but I guess the idea is that Garza wants to be able to counter it, and therefore it needs to be studied. It's worth noting in passing that keeping the samples is a DS decision that Aric Jorgan approves of, probably for the reason I cite.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

drug_cartel
02.15.2018 , 05:03 AM | #27
First off, before anything else, you need to turn off Light Side/Dark Side indictators and just play the story you want to play. Do not be a slave to the Red Triangle or the White Sun. To paraphrase, only a moron deals in absolutes; most of us are a mixture of both sides and fall somewhere in the middle. Play the story you want and you will have infinitely more fun.

This goes as well for companion reactions. Don't be a weak-willed pansy who caves to peer pressure. You're the boss. Make the call you want to make, and if your companion doesn't like it... send them on some crew skill missions to make it up to them. Some of the most fun conversations in the game are the ones where your companion argues with you, instead of just saying "I agree" all the time.

That being said, the whole light vs dark thing is a construct of the Jedi and Sith religions, not actually reflective of right and wrong, or good and evil. On Ord Mantell, right at the beginning, you are faced with the decision to bring stolen medicine back to the wounded troops who will die without it, or to allow the thieves to keep the medicine, condemning good soldiers to death. And guess what. Supporting the troops was Dark Side, while supporting the thieves was Light Side. Forget that noise.

Trooper is my favorite story. I've played 5 of them through Chapter 3. My very first trooper was the super obedient soldier, who always follows orders and never questions directives. He finished the story at Light 2, so Garza's directives were apparently slightly more Light than Dark. But after that first Trooper, I played each subsequent one with varying levels of insubordination (mostly because I insist on saving Ava Jaxo every time now). Being full on anti-Garza isn't as good of a story as being mostly loyal, with one or two moments of bucking against her.

(My absolute favorite Trooper moment is watching Tanno Vik beat down the inmate on Belsavis that you're supposed to be helping. I always bring him for that mission; it's just too fun to pass up.)