Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What do people think of the dumbed down gameplay?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What do people think of the dumbed down gameplay?

DWho
02.09.2018 , 11:42 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
I actually enjoy helping new players out...it's healthier than mocking them and we're damn lucky they started playing this game...without them, you'd have no one to gasp in awe at how awesome of a player you are.
If only more players thought like you. Almost every time someone asks for help in chat they are mocked rather than helped.

NSevven
02.09.2018 , 11:47 AM | #22
In general, I agree with OP.

I'm a story player. Used to be you'd stay relatively on-level, "challenge" would more or less match your ability. Sure, it wasn't so tough, but a DPS with a DPS comp could run into difficulties. And boss battles felt sufficiently like what they should be: something that the story has built up to.

And yes, lots of benefits to quick travel, and all the great QoL improvements ... but at a cost. Jumping around from place to place disrupts suspension of disbelief. Like Game of Thrones last season where characters jump from Meereen to Kings Landing to the Wall at will.

What I'd like:
A crapload less mobs. Like 1/3 to 1/4. Why do games pile so many useless battles on you?
Bring back planet/class story & chapter boss mechanics and challenge. Level them to you.
Aka DocDAM, aka DocDIM
My Refer a Friend link here (DocDAM). [Rules and Rewards]

TUXs
02.09.2018 , 11:48 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by DWho View Post
If only more players thought like you. Almost every time someone asks for help in chat they are mocked rather than helped.
Which is why I /whisper all I can. General chat needs to be policed...
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

DWho
02.09.2018 , 11:49 AM | #24
The advances in quick travel are the best things to happen to this game (besides the cosmetic tabs). Loading screen after loading screen after loading screen was not "RP" worthy for the ridiculousness of the time it wasted...in static space stations that all looked exactly the same. Quick travel and summoning groups has been a saving grace to this game that allows far more people to do far more things.
Quick travel is good but in my opinion went too far. Quick travel to the quest giver and having to pick it up there and travel to the location bring the game more alive. IF you wanted a quick "gain the mission" effect, putting an option in the conversation to "skip conversation" would have been better though that would likely have needed more programming than just teleport to start.

TUXs
02.09.2018 , 11:51 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by NSevven View Post
And yes, lots of benefits to quick travel, and all the great QoL improvements ... but at a cost. Jumping around from place to place disrupts suspension of disbelief. Like Game of Thrones last season where characters jump from Meereen to Kings Landing to the Wall at will.
Then why the hell are you using it??? If it disrupts your "belief", why the hell use it? You're not forced to QT anywhere...so how on Earth can you claim it impacts you in any way when YOU elect to use it?

Seriously...what the hell lol?!
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

TUXs
02.09.2018 , 11:51 AM | #26
Quick travel is good but in my opinion went too far. Quick travel to the quest giver and having to pick it up there and travel to the location bring the game more alive. IF you wanted a quick "gain the mission" effect, putting an option in the conversation to "skip conversation" would have been better though that would likely have needed more programming than just teleport to start.
And you can STILL do that.

DWho
02.09.2018 , 11:55 AM | #27
And you can STILL do that.
I definitely do. In fact I normally don't use quick travel to go anywhere on a planet. (even to turn in missions). I used it a lot when I first fully unlocked it in legacy but now I find that the game is much more enjoyable for me to actually travel to the locations. Since there is so little new content, enjoying the scenery has become the center of the game for me.

TUXs
02.09.2018 , 11:57 AM | #28
I definitely do. In fact I normally don't use quick travel to go anywhere on a planet. (even to turn in missions). I used it a lot when I first fully unlocked it in legacy but now I find that the game is much more enjoyable for me to actually travel to the locations. Since there is so little new content, enjoying the scenery has become the center of the game for me.
OK good...sorry I assumed you didn't. I'm glad to see you're still able to play how you like. Choices are always better.

Yamahara
02.09.2018 , 12:13 PM | #29
I've been around since launch, it was never that hard to begin with.
Lukewarm Tauntauns GM

NSevven
02.09.2018 , 03:13 PM | #30
Then why the hell are you using it??? If it disrupts your "belief", why the hell use it? You're not forced to QT anywhere...so how on Earth can you claim it impacts you in any way when YOU elect to use it?

Seriously...what the hell lol?!
Simple: my compulsive optimization tendencies often overrule it!**

Simply put: when something is there, there is temptation to use it. And you may enjoy its benefits, while still having a sense of ambivalence.

It's the same reason people here complain about GC "forcing" (really "coercing", or BW's view: "incentivizing") them to do certain activities, rather than what they'd prefer. Hell, the whole GC gear grind hamster wheel is like that.

Or people saying content is too easy, and not listening to the "helpful" suggestions (like take off your gear or turn off your companion").

** [Not always. First time through story with a character/class, I'll stop and smell the roses most often. And "benefit" of making a new account ... I had a 26 min QT cooldown ]
Aka DocDAM, aka DocDIM
My Refer a Friend link here (DocDAM). [Rules and Rewards]