Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What is your opinion of Galactic Command after the recent changes?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What is your opinion of Galactic Command after the recent changes?

DarthSpuds's Avatar


DarthSpuds
02.09.2018 , 12:13 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by jimmorrisson View Post
Let the record show the only time during the 5.* era CXP was popular was a bug affecting certain dailies which yielded substantial CXP rewards.
And this is why I have to question whether or not Bioware/EA want SWTOR to succeed. When the CXP Bug was happening the servers were full of players, and players that were paying because CXP is Subscriber Only.

Had Bioware/EA wanted the game to succeed and been half decent at PR Spin they would have said:
"Hey guys we've heard your concerns about CXP being too slow and too grindy, so here's the new rate at which CXP will be awarded - sorry, but it was a late decision and didn't make the Patch Notes".

And they would have had a major PR Success on their hands, we'd have thought they were listening to us and - far more importantly - cared about our opinions and our enjoyment of the game; and were pushing so hard to keep us happy they missed the Patch Notes. This would have been a HUGE Win/Win.

Instead we got:
"Hey guys, we've noticed some in game activities are awarding more CXP than we planned, our coders haven't got a clue why it happened but are going to fix it when they figure out how to, so enjoy it while it lasts, but we are taking it away."

Which makes it look like they don't listen to us, they don't have a clue what their own code is doing, and they don't care whether or not we enjoy the game. OK while it lasted they got some mileage, but the moment CXP fell back to "normal" levels the server populations fell through the floor - again. All in all a Lose/Lose.

All The Best
#Is-This-As-Good-As-It-Gets?

If you think my comment has been helpful in anyway please >>Click Here<< for the Refer A Friend Bonus.

olagatonjedi's Avatar


olagatonjedi
02.09.2018 , 12:14 PM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
And this is why I have to question whether or not Bioware/EA want SWTOR to succeed. When the CXP Bug was happening the servers were full of players, and players that were paying because CXP is Subscriber Only.

Had Bioware/EA wanted the game to succeed and been half decent at PR Spin they would have said:
"Hey guys we've heard your concerns about CXP being too slow and too grindy, so here's the new rate at which CXP will be awarded - sorry, but it was a late decision and didn't make the Patch Notes".

And they would have had a major PR Success on their hands, we'd have thought they were listening to us and - far more importantly - cared about our opinions and our enjoyment of the game; and were pushing so hard to keep us happy they missed the Patch Notes. This would have been a HUGE Win/Win.

Instead we got:
"Hey guys, we've noticed some in game activities are awarding more CXP than we planned, our coders haven't got a clue why it happened but are going to fix it when they figure out how to, so enjoy it while it lasts, but we are taking it away."

Which makes it look like they don't listen to us, they don't have a clue what their own code is doing, and they don't care whether or not we enjoy the game. OK while it lasted they got some mileage, but the moment CXP fell back to "normal" levels the server populations fell through the floor - again. All in all a Lose/Lose.

All The Best
Or that wouldve broken the game. I believe they listen to reason, not bullying or guesstimations of success by outsiders with no indication they understand how businesses work. Are there things they could do better? Of course. Do they need to address every minor issue that people seek out? No. If anyone tries hard enough, they can find something wrong with anything. But in order to have a change, there needs to be a reasonable replacement or fix that can be implemented, and most, if not all, of the fixes they see on these forums dont deserve a 2nd glance because they are mostly "we want something for nothing, even if it makes the game worse."

You can second guess every decision they make, but again, you have to look at the alternative. Would you rather them be as open as possible or lie to us about stuff? It seems like most people on these forums prefer they lie to us just so something is communicated. And then they face the wrath of being called liars. Yep, makes sense to me. Not.

LordArtemis's Avatar


LordArtemis
02.09.2018 , 10:34 PM | #123
I'm not sure if increasing CXP that much would have the intended effect....but I think it wouldn't harm the game long term if that level of CXP was offered on a temporary basis, as that is something that would make sense IMO as an event.

DarthSpuds's Avatar


DarthSpuds
02.10.2018 , 11:21 AM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
I'm not sure if increasing CXP that much would have the intended effect.
And yet it had exactly that effect when it was done by accident.

So where's the issue?

It can't be that it would lead to nothing to do at end-game - the game has been there, done that, and got the t-shirt for the last 18 months.

All The Best
#Is-This-As-Good-As-It-Gets?

If you think my comment has been helpful in anyway please >>Click Here<< for the Refer A Friend Bonus.

ZeroTypeR's Avatar


ZeroTypeR
02.10.2018 , 12:41 PM | #125
My new way of describing Galatic Command.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OkmMqkeJ6U

olagatonjedi's Avatar


olagatonjedi
02.10.2018 , 12:51 PM | #126
The CXP boom was experienced before two significant events: 1) people realizing that reaching 300CR really wasnt worth grinding as much as they had been, and 2) the recent changes to UCs and primary gear acquisition.

Providing a faster way to gear up en masse is never a good move for maintaining longevity, especially if new content doesnt come as frequently as people are requesting/expecting. The long grind is a staple of mmos that provides a time sink in between releases. Events are put in to break the monotony, but not intended to be a permanent addition to fix a problem, for obvious reasons.

sixtydollers's Avatar


sixtydollers
02.10.2018 , 03:06 PM | #127
My only problem with GC is that it eliminates PvE content progression, but that can be rectified by the player's own choice of what content to do with what gear. I will be limiting myself to tiers of content that my gear is rated for like so:

Teir 1: VM Flashpoints and Uprisings
Tier 2: MM Flashpoint and Uprisings
Tier 3: SM Operations
Tier 4: HM Operations

on my future Merc with the original Tracer Missile animation.

BTW, 17017 UCs is how much full T4 costs, so you can send 17k UCs to a fresh 70 and have them in full 248s in seconds.

LordArtemis's Avatar


LordArtemis
02.10.2018 , 09:19 PM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
And yet it had exactly that effect when it was done by accident.

So where's the issue?

It can't be that it would lead to nothing to do at end-game - the game has been there, done that, and got the t-shirt for the last 18 months.

All The Best
Well, to be fair I feel that is a pretty subjective statement, but that doesn't mean you are wrong. As I indicated, perhaps running it as an event would demonstrate its effect on the game in a controlled way....certainly if it pans out it could become permanent.

Jdast's Avatar


Jdast
02.11.2018 , 12:26 AM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
Well, to be fair I feel that is a pretty subjective statement, but that doesn't mean you are wrong. As I indicated, perhaps running it as an event would demonstrate its effect on the game in a controlled way....certainly if it pans out it could become permanent.
Darth Spuds will probably be the first to admit that he and I rarely agree. In this case, however, he is absolutely correct. It was posted definitively that there was increased activity by Menace (who has not been present for some time).

Setting aside your annoying Papa Smurf / Nanny McPhee tendencies (you were wrong when you slammed me in a different thread, and FYI, will have zero impact on my posting style)....

There is empirical evidence that increasing rewards increases player activity. To the extent that of some of us - (and this part is anecdotal) -- are playing alts because we can complete current content now, it makes sense to increase rewards. At some point, there will be new a tier...no reason not to do a close out sale.

Dasty

Husqvarna's Avatar


Husqvarna
02.11.2018 , 03:38 PM | #130
There is no reason why GCP rewards shouldn't be permanently doubled. Getting alts to rank 300 is a tedious task that yields diminishing returns.