Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Spoilers and why I did not like TLJ

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Spoilers and why I did not like TLJ

NuSeC
02.06.2018 , 08:00 PM | #441
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
This is what you said

You are a liar
I know what I said.
Show me were they asked "are you a feminist" "yes" or "no" or move on.

Also, stop derailing this thread with your nonsense. You want to argue semantics. You want to find some version of a semblance of an argument and then run with it.

The bottom line is still... when women are presented yes or no ONLY options to "Are you a feminist?" Most say no. In poll after poll after poll and it has been that way from the 90s.

To top this off, you are not even touching the huffpo article which I INCLUDED and that further backs up my claim. Again, because you are intellectually dishonest and cherry picking.

I COULD CARE LESS OF HOW WAPO GOT THEIR 60%! Get it?
YOU posed that question and then want to argue my answer when the entire point is that most say no to a simple yes or no inquiry. GEEBUS!
Kinrath Spider -> Fatman -> Pot5 -> Shadowlands -> Star Forge
`````` `````` ``````

Elite Warlord Doze - Jugg / Elite Warlord Doz's Sorc - Sorc

NuSeC
02.07.2018 , 05:16 PM | #442
Quote: Originally Posted by AshurDarksoul View Post
I found, despite the near cloning of a new hope, some elements were enjoyable. Then Kathleen "FN" Kennedy and ♤ Ryan Johnson served us up this hot steaming pile of sjw & progressive crap called TLJ wrapped in a Star Wars ribbon. My mind shut down immediately like it always does with their brand of political brain washing junk.

Ashur
Exactly. I thought TFA, while plagiarizing ANH, it was overall a well developed movie and first part of the saga. I thought it brought in new people and the potential for some great development. There was even the potential that Fin was going to be a force user as well and train with Luke and Rey (obviously wrong there). But I mean on nearly every single direction JJ was aiming the story, ol'Johnson was about to throw it all away for some Marvel style comedy and poor development of the new people. Then they manage to kill off Luke and now there are really no people in the franchise that I care about... 2 movies in. The idea that they can show growth and make you care about these people now in ep9 is laughable at best.

But then, it is SW, so many watch it for the fireworks and nothing else and that is OK. People should like a movie based on their own opinion of it.
`````` `````` ``````

AlienEyeTX
02.08.2018 , 09:10 AM | #443
Quote: Originally Posted by NuSeC View Post
People should like a movie based on their own opinion of it.
Hey, there's something that we can agree on. This is what it all boils down to.
You like free stuff, right? Click on this referral link to get yours. I'll get a little something, too. Welcome home. #freethelekku

patricklee
02.08.2018 , 03:01 PM | #444
I thought The Last Jedi was a great movie. Perfect? Nah, but a grand spectacle nonetheless.

It just seems many people go out of their way simply to find things to criticize- and that's okay, but don't expect all others to agree.

Lets touch a few of the most popular criticisms:

"Rey is too powerful"- Well, it was established fairly early that Rey had ample experience with melee weapons, so it sure doesn't seem out of the question that the expertise would translate to the use of a lightsaber. Plus, we've already had the "padawan training" stories with both Anakin and Luke, and it seemed pretty obvious that pupils in Force training demonstrate varying aptitude- and that's just from two examples.

"The Anticlimactic Death of Luke"- Do we really want to see yet another main SW hero die to a lightsaber? Sure, there have been some epic clashes in the series, but its also become a cliché when considering Kenobi, Quigon, Han and others died in pretty much the same fashion. Besides, introducing new concepts regarding the use of the Force should be applauded for just that reason. Sacrificing his own life energy to fuel an illusion to save the last remnant of the Rebellion is heroic to say the least.

"Lightspeed Collision Physics"- Trying to apply any sense of logic to a completely fictional and/or theoretical science is just silly. Regardless of whether it was the weaponization of a starship in lightspeed or any other fantastical aspect of the movie (such as new facets of the Force), those are some of the reasons that make science fiction and fantasy so magnificent- to suspend all disbelief simply to encourage acceptance of a grand story.

TalonVII
02.08.2018 , 05:11 PM | #445
Quote: Originally Posted by patricklee View Post
I thought The Last Jedi was a great movie. Perfect? Nah, but a grand spectacle nonetheless.

It just seems many people go out of their way simply to find things to criticize- and that's okay, but don't expect all others to agree.

Lets touch a few of the most popular criticisms:

"Rey is too powerful"- Well, it was established fairly early that Rey had ample experience with melee weapons, so it sure doesn't seem out of the question that the expertise would translate to the use of a lightsaber. Plus, we've already had the "padawan training" stories with both Anakin and Luke, and it seemed pretty obvious that pupils in Force training demonstrate varying aptitude- and that's just from two examples.

"The Anticlimactic Death of Luke"- Do we really want to see yet another main SW hero die to a lightsaber? Sure, there have been some epic clashes in the series, but its also become a cliché when considering Kenobi, Quigon, Han and others died in pretty much the same fashion. Besides, introducing new concepts regarding the use of the Force should be applauded for just that reason. Sacrificing his own life energy to fuel an illusion to save the last remnant of the Rebellion is heroic to say the least.

"Lightspeed Collision Physics"- Trying to apply any sense of logic to a completely fictional and/or theoretical science is just silly. Regardless of whether it was the weaponization of a starship in lightspeed or any other fantastical aspect of the movie (such as new facets of the Force), those are some of the reasons that make science fiction and fantasy so magnificent- to suspend all disbelief simply to encourage acceptance of a grand story.
I don't have an issue with Rey having a lot of power or potential. It's the skill level she shows with this power that should be well beyond her ability.

Having a lot of power/potential is great. Being able to use it properly, that's something else and that has come to Rey way too easily. That's why I consider her a Mary Sue.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

AlienEyeTX
02.08.2018 , 06:53 PM | #446
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
I don't have an issue with Rey having a lot of power or potential. It's the skill level she shows with this power that should be well beyond her ability.

Having a lot of power/potential is great. Being able to use it properly, that's something else and that has come to Rey way too easily. That's why I consider her a Mary Sue.
But, what has she really done?

She fights well. Explained.
She did a mind trick. Took a few tries and I think 007 just wanted to let her go.
She pulled a lightsaber. It wanted to go to her anyway.
She lifted some rocks. Nice visual, but all she had to do was understand that she could do it.

Really, what else is there? Resisting Kylo's mind probe? Just takes willpower. Snoke? Completely owned her.

You may think of her as a Mary Sue, but I would just like to point out that she hasn't actually done much... Force-wise.
You like free stuff, right? Click on this referral link to get yours. I'll get a little something, too. Welcome home. #freethelekku

TacoClaw
02.13.2018 , 12:38 AM | #447
The movie made the Star Wars universe small and the force kind of a sad joke. If your rebellion can all fit in the back of a small ship and you are talking about a reality involving many worlds ...well, it just seems kind of pathetic. And if your bad guy is most noteworthy for incompetence and temper tantrums, that makes for jejune drama. And if your hero is a hero for totally unkown and random reasons then you are kind of lost at sea as a viewer when looking for grand themes. Why am I supposed to care about Rey again?

Look, the movie was fun and exciting, but Star Wars was more than just fun, it was epic and grand. Not anymore. It is small and silly in its new mythology however fun and exciting it may be to watch. So you can enjoy the movie but still not like what has happened. It’s the first SW movie I didn’t watch again.

Tharandil
02.13.2018 , 04:22 AM | #448
It feels a lot like the old movies all over again. Reskinned it a bit.
That being said I did enjoy some of the scenes, although to me the scenes with Finn and Rose felt a bit forced and not really adding something extra to the story.

Please use my signature link and I'll be grateful!
Use my Referral Link for a Free Bundle and 7 Day Subscription
http://www.swtor.com/r/3yFZKg

JediAkemi
02.13.2018 , 10:54 AM | #449
I feel like I should link to "How Star Wars The Last Jedi should have ended"
HISHE - The Last Jedi

NuSeC
02.13.2018 , 12:29 PM | #450
Quote: Originally Posted by JediAkemi View Post
I feel like I should link to "How Star Wars The Last Jedi should have ended"
HISHE - The Last Jedi
LOL! Ive not saw that one yet! Was great! LMBO!
`````` `````` ``````