Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Eric please stop spawnpoint camping

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Eric please stop spawnpoint camping

LordFell
01.25.2018 , 02:14 PM | #31
Maybe a mercy rule?
If there's a 20 point gap in a TDM or a 500 point gap in DOM, call the match early. What is functionally over might as well be over in fact.

phalczen
01.25.2018 , 03:18 PM | #32
I could not get behind that. I've been in matches where the other side has come behind from a large deficit. I was in a shipyards TDM once and my team was up by 16 or 17. Then I unfortunately had a disconnect as my computer crashed. I rebooted asap and by the time I had gotten back in and queued up, I was actually backfilled into that same match and we had lost by two. What had seemed like a sure thing was quickly evaporated.

In DOM, the game is only truly lost if the losing team is incapable of pulling off a three cap, or at least keeping the other sats neutral. I've been in a Denon match exactly like that where we were dominating and then somehow ended up losing at the end 1000-9xx because we lost both our sats and the enemy was able to keep one neutral.

So no, I can't support a mercy rule.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

Verain
01.25.2018 , 04:06 PM | #33
I don't think anyone has an issue with the current setup for Dom. In Dom, it is reasonable to create a safe zone for spawning, because all of the interactions with the game objectives are far from the safe spawn points (some are close to unguarded spawn points, of course). If a team is badly outmatched in Dom, they can flit back and forth between the cap ship and the enemy wall, doing damage as they can and continuing to make attempts to push out and grab a satellite: meanwhile, the game will end quickly enough, and with a brutal score befitting a three-cap.

My understanding is that this discussion about TDM, where the ships themselves are the objectives, and talking about whether a case where one team is mostly unable to escape their spawn points, even if individual players can.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Ramalina
01.25.2018 , 07:37 PM | #34
My geezer memory is failing me,

didn't REAL spawn camping used to be a (very rare) thing in GSF?

The whole, "We can fly bombers into the hanger of their cap ship and use mines to insta-gib them as they spawn," thing.

I seem to recall a comment in voice once to the effect of, "I wish we could have campfires in here." The idea being that if you had a campfire emote and maybe some marshmallows or s'mores you'd be able to camp the enemy spawn while camping in the enemy cap ship hangar. Which would be twice as much camping and therefore twice as good, (or twice as evil if you're on the team getting camped, especially if on the same voice channel as the campers).

I suspect that the complainers in this thread mostly haven't been playing long enough to have seen spawn camping in GSF.

It's a, "trust me I'm an old timer," thing, but really, if you've seen real spawn camping in GSF you're not gonna confuse merely having a really bad team in TDM with spawn camping. There's a big difference, even if you've never personally seen it.

Anyhow, with multiple spawn points and changes to mine mechanics, you can't really properly camp at all in TDM anymore. Concentrate forces enough for a sure kill at one or two spawn points and the third is almost guaranteed to be escapable with minimal effort.

You could maybe do it in a Kuat or Lost Shipyards Dom match, but mines respecting LOS would make it a lot harder than it used to be. Combination of interdiction and railgun drones and seeker mines? I think you'd still be at risk of a skilled pilot making it out past the blockade and starting to steal sats, at which point you'd have to have a scout that was significantly better or choose between camping or possibly losing the match despite most of the enemy being bottled up.

Basically camping is dead in GSF.

PUGs often sucking is probably eternal, but camping is dead.

It died quite a long time ago.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

Desplain
02.05.2018 , 02:59 PM | #35
Thank you for your comments.

I think camping isn't dead, today it has become worse.

We had several WZ with only one spawnpoint, is it Kuat Mesa domination?

Short time after the fight started they placed gunships and mines in a safe distance to the capital ship.

We couldn't even get one ship to the satellite!

Respawn --> kaboum --> flash of light --> dead.

Also there are some guys who think using aim bot is a nice way to win (on both sides)

Sometimes I think that all this is just a German server problem (played GSF on U.S. Server and it has been pretty nice).
May the Force be with you.

Verain
02.06.2018 , 02:50 PM | #36
The type of spawn camping you are describing is not spawn camping at all. Notably, you cannot die on your spawn in domination except in very rare circumstances that you aren't describing there. You can certainly have all three nodes denied you, should your team be completely ineffective against the other team, but your capital ship turrets will meaningfully defend against almost all threats, should you fall back to around 5k behind any of them (the turrets will shoot powerful shots up to 10km out, and enemy railguns can be 15km out). If your team together can't push past that, then there's no hope for you, but you still aren't spawn camped.

Spawn camping happens in TDM only, and it involves spawning directly into enemy munitions of some form- drones, mines, railguns, blasters, missile locks. All TDM maps offer three spawn points you can use to try to minimize this, but it can absolutely still happen.

I also very much doubt you are seeing aimbots in any form on any server. It isn't impossible, but the theoretical gain of an aimbot in GSF is minimal compared to other games. The cleverest of shots will have a high deflection penalty, and the shots without that wouldn't really be helped by one. I'm sure it is possible, but I've never seen a confirmed case of one. If you do, well, report them.

Dimitir
03.14.2018 , 07:25 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by ALaggyGrunt View Post
Quit queueing and see how fast they get bored.

They don't want to give you a good match, you aren't required to give them any match.
but that keeps ME from having a match too, which really is a lose for me...
German Server player here too...
But i think being camped at the spawnpoint goes away once pilots get better, die less and keep the fight in the middle of the field... being camped is thus due to sub-optimal pilotry from the camped team and not some flaw in game mechanics...

Verain
03.14.2018 , 09:21 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by dimitir View Post
but that keeps me from having a match too, which really is a lose for me...
German server player here too...
But i think being camped at the spawnpoint goes away once pilots get better, die less and keep the fight in the middle of the field... Being camped is thus due to sub-optimal pilotry from the camped team and not some flaw in game mechanics...
<3 <3 <3

AlrikFassbauer
03.17.2018 , 03:34 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Dimitir View Post
But i think being camped at the spawnpoint goes away once pilots get better, die less and keep the fight in the middle of the field... being camped is thus due to sub-optimal pilotry from the camped team and not some flaw in game mechanics...
But camping is in my opinion a *very* effective method of keeping people away from learning ...

I have no idea whether this is sheer sadism ( I think so ), or even on purpose - not to let new and better players grow up. It's like using a lawnmower to keep grass from growing.

Me, I'm always rather interested in psychology of behaviours, in "what makes people do things", and not at all in tactics. I only analyse tactics from a psychological standpoint. Which might make "tacticians" angry, but I always believe that tactics have a certain psychological effect, too. And people who don't see that are too naive fools in my opinion.

It's like with killstealing : It is a very effective method to make people NOT learn as well : You just deny them any production or release of hormones in the brauin or elsewhere that would be there if people would get their kills alol by themselves. Killstealing is a very effective method of denying people the making of NEW connections of brain cells whoich would come after a feeling / emotional impact 8plus logical connection ! ) which usually follows after a feeling of success / sense of an achievement. Killstealing denies people having a feeling of success - and thus no new learning connection (normally formed AFTer a feeling of success) are formed.

And now, please laugh at me.
Complex minds
will create
Complex problems.

phalczen
03.17.2018 , 05:12 AM | #40
Alrik, we have explained to you before, in the thread about pitfalls/gripes of GSF, that assists count as much as kills, and there is no kill stealing in GSF. There isn't in the ground PVP game for that matter either, as long as you are in the same ops group.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.