Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Iokath... Republic vs Empire

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Iokath... Republic vs Empire

OldVengeance
05.24.2017 , 03:28 PM | #21
Elara knows better than most what the Sith Empire is, and she knows that the Republic, even under Saresh, is still not like the Sith Empire.

Hahnsey
01.29.2018 , 10:23 AM | #22
Ultimately it came down to personal preference but what swayed me was when Acina said she wanted to wipe out the Republic, whereas Malcolm claimed he wanted to stabilise the Republic. Either side could have ulterior motives but as my JK chose to be a peacekeeper (SW plans to run his own empire), I sided with the Pubs. While I am worried about the ramifications of breaking the war time alliance with the Empire, I canít condone the wanton destruction of anyone as a peacekeeeper, especially with a superweapon.

DudeinFlames
01.31.2018 , 10:18 PM | #23
Malcom says he wants to use the weapon to wipe out the Empire.

JediAkemi
02.03.2018 , 11:42 AM | #24
And when I say to Lana "Can't we just tell them both to get lost?" she says that with the Eternal Fleet frozen we don't have the manpower to fight both sides at once... which seems like a cop out, except technically our initial ground team is a scouting operation while the others came to invade.
Still sucks that "Get off my planet" wasn't a viable option.

JakRoanin
02.03.2018 , 05:50 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Celise View Post
my LS heretic SW chose the republic without any hesitation or regrets, why? because he has a lot in common with the republic besides where someone is born, he also got both Quinn and Elara as well as companions. he has no place to discriminate, he just chose the republic because the galaxy doesn't need to be beholden to ideals that wouldn't go anywhere like the Sith would. fighting each other is pointless and destructive and anyone left to rise from the ashes would have to build on the remains of the old empire and effectively start from zero.

Also having the assistance of the republic could mean he could help some light side sith cornered by dark side sith and get them out of trouble and show the republic that not every sith despite their training are all evil sadistic monsters, some want to save lives, act selflessly and continue to follow the sith code. The Jedi should be more welcoming of people like this, who only have good in their heart.

He is proud to be a sith, but he just as proud to help people and giving without a thought to himself. he allows his passions and emotions to run free and he uses it for the right reasons even though it's very perverted.
Our SW's would be buddies!

Taminara
03.19.2018 , 10:41 AM | #26
Pissed as hell about how this was handled and the outcome. First of all, I do not agree with having to choose one side or the other. I feel there should have been a third choice to remain neutral. Secondly, not enough notification was given about what would happen here. My LS Jedi chose Imperial based on rewarding their support when the Republic offered none and chose to remain neutral in the fight. I was grouped with a Republic friend while doing this and our group was immediately disbanded, nor can I group with him or any of my other friends while here or do these things here. Now, I don't really care to hear other people saying 'Well that's what happens when you choose an opposite faction.' There was no indication about the mechanics changing and there should have been. I had always been able, as a Republic player, to group with my Republic friends and do things together. Now I cannot here on Iokath. Also, there was no notification that you would lose the option to have the npc companion of the faction you chose not to ally with. (Never mind the fact that what they did with Dorne was stupid and makes no sense). When we've done the quests for companions in the past, if you were about to make a choice that would cost you a companion, you received a notification first, letting you know that would happen so you could make an informed choice. That was not the case here. So, unpleasant surprises all the way around.

My choices would have been different if I had known the mechanics would be changed and I wouldn't have made choices based on story (as I always have in the past, such as Torian vs Vette) but on mechanics. If I could have this decision reversed, I would have and I remain pissed off about it.

SithKoriandr
03.19.2018 , 11:36 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Hahnsey View Post
Ultimately it came down to personal preference but what swayed me was when Acina said she wanted to wipe out the Republic, whereas Malcolm claimed he wanted to stabilise the Republic. Either side could have ulterior motives but as my JK chose to be a peacekeeper (SW plans to run his own empire), I sided with the Pubs. While I am worried about the ramifications of breaking the war time alliance with the Empire, I canít condone the wanton destruction of anyone as a peacekeeeper, especially with a superweapon.
That war time alliance was broken by Acina first, when she invaded Iokath. Her fear of being wiped out by the Republic was not valid justification for breaking the alliance between you both.

Any smart leader would've instead called the PC (or her people) and relayed what was going on, and gotten the PC to stop the invaders.

Acina wants the super weapon and she shows her hand, that she and the empire will betray you, when it suits them.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

SithKoriandr
03.19.2018 , 11:39 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Taminara View Post
Pissed as hell about how this was handled and the outcome. First of all, I do not agree with having to choose one side or the other. I feel there should have been a third choice to remain neutral. Secondly, not enough notification was given about what would happen here. My LS Jedi chose Imperial based on rewarding their support when the Republic offered none and chose to remain neutral in the fight. I was grouped with a Republic friend while doing this and our group was immediately disbanded, nor can I group with him or any of my other friends while here or do these things here. Now, I don't really care to hear other people saying 'Well that's what happens when you choose an opposite faction.' There was no indication about the mechanics changing and there should have been. I had always been able, as a Republic player, to group with my Republic friends and do things together. Now I cannot here on Iokath. Also, there was no notification that you would lose the option to have the npc companion of the faction you chose not to ally with. (Never mind the fact that what they did with Dorne was stupid and makes no sense). When we've done the quests for companions in the past, if you were about to make a choice that would cost you a companion, you received a notification first, letting you know that would happen so you could make an informed choice. That was not the case here. So, unpleasant surprises all the way around.

My choices would have been different if I had known the mechanics would be changed and I wouldn't have made choices based on story (as I always have in the past, such as Torian vs Vette) but on mechanics. If I could have this decision reversed, I would have and I remain pissed off about it.
While in a previous post, I posted why I thought it flawed to reward the Empire by allying with them, when they betray you in the first place, I have to agree with you.

In fact, until reading your post, I didn't know I wouldn't be able to team with people to run Iokath content if they didn't choose the same side. I just thought it would be, "You team with Empire or Republic based on character class"
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry