Maintenance: January 30th, 2018

EricMusco

• Dev Post
Hey Eric,

it seesms even Bioware's own server status page does not work properly anymore, more precise not as before. I double checked this with this original server status page since our server widget on our guild website (Enjin) does not work anymore since the patch today and shows the server offline while it is in fact online. But the SWTOR server status page does not show the same as before either. It still shows up/down but no population data anymore. Something changed obviously. Any clue? Intended or not? New IP?

Original Server Status page: http://www.swtor.com/server-status

Our page with server widget (workrd until the patch today): http://tcf.enjin.com/

Kind regards

Frank/Nal'

Good questions!

This is an intended change so that the server status page matches the in-game interface for server select which we changed a few months ago. With the previous in-game change and now the web change, we ultimately removed two columns:

• Server population - This column was fairly misleading due to the way in which it generated its value. The value it displayed was the current population relative to the total population cap. This often created situations where servers with more players would actually show as lighter than a less populated server due to its pop relative to its hardware cap. For that reason we removed it altogether.
  • Server type - Since we made the change where a player can be in any instance type, we no longer have specified server types. We similarly removed this column so it wouldn't falsely impact a player's server choice.

If someone was using a widget to get that information from our site previously, they should just need to adjust it for the missing columns.

Hope that clears up any confusion!

-eric

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That'll be "fixed" when Theron comes back. Meantime, hide it. It's not that big a deal, and I'd rather the bug squashers still at BW focus on bigger ones.

Work Around with theron: You can get him from the terminal, I did that with my sorceress at the time of Umbarra as he was the only companion I had with high influence (not anymore learned my lesson lol) but since I had done that I was able to complete things unsaid when my sorceress was mean to Theron when she went back to her pirate p.

My sorc isn't able to even trigger the Andronikus return mission. I'm playing a sorc but Andronikus' return mission simply doesn't exist for my char...maybe due to the fact that I got him back from the Odessen terminal some months ago.

But that obviously hasn't been fixed. The sadest thing about this is not even that I just don't get his return mission (though i'm playing a sorc) the sadest thing is: I don't care anymore.

My sorc isn't able to even trigger the Andronikus return mission. I'm playing a sorc but Andronikus' return mission simply doesn't exist for my char...maybe due to the fact that I got him back from the Odessen terminal some months ago.

But that obviously hasn't been fixed. The sadest thing about this is not even that I just don't get his return mission (though i'm playing a sorc) the sadest thing is: I don't care anymore.

You have to have completed the storyline through Iokath on your sorc for the alert for Andronikos to trigger.

You have to have completed the storyline through Iokath on your sorc for the alert for Andronikos to trigger.

I do. I have completed everything... KOTFE, KOTET and Iokath. I have done EVERY previous companion alert ( I have them all) and I also did the Umbara and Traitor among the Chiss flashpoint quests. Nevertheless the Andronikus return is not triggered for my sorc.

As mentioned before it's probably due to the fact that I got Andronikus back from the Odessen terminal some months ago.

Good questions!

This is an intended change so that the server status page matches the in-game interface for server select which we changed a few months ago. With the previous in-game change and now the web change, we ultimately removed two columns:

• Server population - This column was fairly misleading due to the way in which it generated its value. The value it displayed was the current population relative to the total population cap. This often created situations where servers with more players would actually show as lighter than a less populated server due to its pop relative to its hardware cap. For that reason we removed it altogether.
  • Server type - Since we made the change where a player can be in any instance type, we no longer have specified server types. We similarly removed this column so it wouldn't falsely impact a player's server choice.

If someone was using a widget to get that information from our site previously, they should just need to adjust it for the missing columns.

-eric

Ok, thanks for the answers Eric.

The widget I was referring to was just a Server up/down widget though (see http://tcf.enjin.com at up left). And it still doesn't work anymore, shows the server offline while it is online. This could be an IP change or some firewall in your data center blocking it from outside or something. Do you have any idea about that? It worked until before today's patch.

kind regards

Frank

Edited by Khaleg

Ok, thanks for the answers Eric.

The widget I was referring to was just a Server up/down widget though (see http://tcf.enjin.com at up left). And it still doesn't work anymore, shows the server offline while it is online. This could be an IP change or some firewall in your data center blocking it from outside or something. Do you have any idea about that? It worked until before today's patch.

kind regards

Frank

Indeed all Enjin sites that used the widget are affected. Would Bioware please be so kind and contact Enjin and tell them how to fix it?

Good questions!

-eric

You honestly expect us to believe that?

You removed the Server Population column so there was one less way for players and, more importantly, potential players to see just how bad the health of the game is.

Pretending otherwise is like pretending you didn't know the West Coast Servers were going the way of the Dodo.

All The Best

I do. I have completed everything... KOTFE, KOTET and Iokath. I have done EVERY previous companion alert ( I have them all) and I also did the Umbara and Traitor among the Chiss flashpoint quests. Nevertheless the Andronikus return is not triggered for my sorc.

As mentioned before it's probably due to the fact that I got Andronikus back from the Odessen terminal some months ago.

I got Andronikos back from the terminal not long after KOTFE launched--I ran my main sorc first. I didn't have a problem receiving the quest. Submit a ticket perhaps?

Good questions!

-eric

Hi Eric,

Just a short thing about your „new“ server-status-page and the removal of server types:

While it may be clear with us-servers which language they are, I think it’s more complicated for European servers, because all 3 European servers have different languages.

Now, with the changed server-status-page, if a new European player looks there to see which server matches his language, and doesn’t know beforehand which server is which, he just can’t see/tell it. Meaning a French/German/English players who don’t speak one word German/English/French has a huge possibility (of 2:3) to end up on the wrong server.

So maybe it would be better to at least add the language-column back?

Kind regards and sorry for any grammatically weird english wording

Gamemaron

Edited by Gamemaron

G

• [*]Server population - This column was fairly misleading due to the way in which it generated its value. The value it displayed was the current population relative to the total population cap. This often created situations where servers with more players would actually show as lighter than a less populated server due to its pop relative to its hardware cap. For that reason we removed it altogether.

-eric

Funny thing how this thing is only being made clear now, and until this moment evidently wasn't a problem. Funny coincidence.....At least move back the language info for the EU servers.

Server type - Since we made the change where a player can be in any instance type, we no longer have specified server types. We similarly removed this column so it wouldn't falsely impact a player's server choice.

Will this not have the effect that new players who enjoy primarily PvE may go to a server full of people who live in PvP instances (on account of being former "PvP server" players) and potentially find grouping a problem?

I'm having the same problem and have been wondering if that could be it and what could be done.

Sounds like an Enjin problem not a BioWare problem.

That is not a correct assumption/not the right way to view this. Bioware changed something in yesterday's patch that made it not work. Something Enjin might not know or can't even figure out on its own (if its not a simple IP change) so it's a good idea that Bioware explains what has changed so Enjin can fix that. I already wrote a ticket to Enjin to make them aware of the problem.

Edited by Khaleg

I get none of of these two companion return "quests" either. On two toons that qualify, which are all I have that qualify for it. So it doesn't work at all.

I get none of of these two companion return "quests" either. On two toons that qualify, which are all I have that qualify for it. So it doesn't work at all.

Getting Andronikos from Odessen terminal should not affect the recruitment mission, maybe you need to start it from your ship, there's where i found the mission .

Getting Andronikos from Odessen terminal should not affect the recruitment mission, maybe you need to start it from your ship, there's where i found the mission .

Gonna check that, thank you.

Edited by Khaleg

Funny thing how this thing is only being made clear now, and until this moment evidently wasn't a problem. Funny coincidence.....At least move back the language info for the EU servers.
Perhaps they don't feel they will need the language info for EU Servers going forward (with the recently perceived drop in server populations, could there be more server consolidations on the horizon to give us one huge megaserver per region or even overall?).

Sounds like an Enjin problem not a BioWare problem.
Bioware changed their API or interface, they need to update the sites that are using it with the changes and how to utilize them so sites like Enjin can implement the changes to make their plugins work again. Perhaps they already did, I'm sure Keith will say so if they have. Edited by Glzmo

Perhaps they don't feel they will need the language info for EU Servers going forward (with the recently perceived drop in server populations, could there be more server consolidations on the horizon to give us one huge megaserver per region or even overall?).[/COLOR]

It's been brought up before that due to the differences in regulations in the EU vs. North America, they will always need to have at least one server hosted in the European Union for those customers. So they would need to have at least two servers for the game (USA and EU) even if it dropped to bare bones.

I found nothing on the ship about the Andronikos mission...Hmmm.../shrug

Bioware changed their API or interface, they need to update the sites that are using it with the changes and how to utilize them so sites like Enjin can implement the changes to make their plugins work again. Perhaps they already did, I'm sure Keith will say so if they have.

It looks like something that would be trivial to scrape - finding the <div> for a given server and checking the data-status tag.:

<div class="serverBody row odd" data-status="UP" data-name="tulak hord">
         <div class="status"><span class="upArrow">UP</span></div>
         <div class="name">Tulak Hord</div>
       </div>

Would it be nice if BioWare partnered with the Community to ensure these little niceties that we enjoy were still functional when they change things? Of course! But BioWare is not obligated to tell Enjin or anyone else what changes they're making to their site. Just like they're not obligated to tell StarParse's coder when they make changes to the combat logging system (like, say, adding place names and difficulty identifiers). Best thing to do here is give Enjin a heads-up on the change (as I believe someone mentioned doing earlier) and they can just fix it themselves.

It looks like something that would be trivial to scrape - finding the <div> for a given server and checking the data-status tag.:

<div class="serverBody row odd" data-status="UP" data-name="tulak hord">
         <div class="status"><span class="upArrow">UP</span></div>
         <div class="name">Tulak Hord</div>
       </div>

Would it be nice if BioWare partnered with the Community to ensure these little niceties that we enjoy were still functional when they change things? Of course! But BioWare is not obligated to tell Enjin or anyone else what changes they're making to their site. Just like they're not obligated to tell StarParse's coder when they make changes to the combat logging system (like, say, adding place names and difficulty identifiers). Best thing to do here is give Enjin a heads-up on the change (as I believe someone mentioned doing earlier) and they can just fix it themselves.

This has been fixed just now via my ticket to Enjin:

Brad*(Enjin Support)

Feb 1, 1:48 AM JST

Hello there,

We are pleased to inform you that we have just launched a fix and this issue is now resolved.

We truly value your assistance in keeping us informed about such changes and therefore we would like to refer you to the Enjin Game Ambassador Program. You may join this program freely and contribute your assistance by informing us as and when new content is about to or has just released for a game. In doing so, we will ensure the content is supported quickly and also reward you for your help. Please refer to our news thread for more information, should you be interested:

Edited by Khaleg

Good questions!

-eric

Eric,

We weren't born yesterday and we're not idiots. You removed the server population info because you don't want anyone to see that the population in the game is still declining and that some of the European servers still have no population even after the merges. Don't lie to us, it doesn't become you.

Good questions!

-eric

I bet you guys just hiding the info about population because it's a great shame for swtor. In fact one wow's realm is bigger in population than 3 swtor's servers