Deny or Die

Foambreaker

If he wanted a simple answer, he could have PM'd someone from Bioware. This thread is nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to stir up ill will towards Bioware, for whatever reason. The same as the other 15 or so threads about the exact same thing.

The title alone is an ultimatum, not something you do when you are asking an innocent question.

If this game does end, it won't be because of Bioware or EA, it will be because people like the OP have scared everyone away, just to satisfy their ego to prove that they were right about the game ending.

Perhaps, but we really don't know what he's thinking or what his intent is. Your interpretation of his post is a lot different than mine. And it was more of a grim prediction than an ultimatum. He's letting them know that there's no way he can invest in game if there's no guarantee that there will be a future for it, and that there's likely to be many people out there with similar thoughts and that alone could ruin the game. That, and it would be in their best interest to quell the masses. Sounds like rational thinking and sound logic to me. His delivery might have been a bit dramatic and kind of soft, but I can't really blame someone for wanting some reassurance. He seems more of a concerned citizen than a Bioware hater trying to start a hate rally. My advice is, leave the other 15 threads outside this one and take this individual thread for what it is. People are so quick to hate these days.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps, but we really don't know what he's thinking or what his intent is. Your interpretation of his post is a lot different than mine. And it was more of a grim prediction than an ultimatum. He's letting them know that there's no way he can invest in game if there's no guarantee that there will be a future for it, and that there's likely to be many people out there with similar thoughts and that alone could ruin the game. That, and it would be in their best interest to quell the masses. Sounds like rational thinking and sound logic to me. His delivery might have been a bit dramatic and kind of soft, but I can't really blame someone for wanting some reassurance. He seems more of a concerned citizen than a Bioware hater trying to start a hate rally. My advice is, leave the other 15 threads outside this one and take this individual thread for what it is.

No, it's just fearmongering. I don't know why you decided to jump to the rescue for your first ever post, but if you truly believe that they were innocently asking a question, maybe you should educate yourself, and go back and read some of their previous posts. A concerned citizen doesn't jump up on a soapbox with a loudhailer and demand answers to a completely made up situation, invented by a few known trolls who took a writers biased opinion given in a single line in an unrelated article.

And "the masses" wouldn't have to be "quelled", as they wouldn't have known anything about this without the OP and company spreading this malicious "gossip".

People are so quick to hate these days.

Ironic. It's the OP and friend's "quick hatred" of Bioware that started all this. I'm not hating, I'm asking people to stop spreading fear to feed their ego.

There's a problem here. And the problem is this mentallity of "with this rumours, i'm not going to buy anything..." Ok, I understand (it's actually perfectly understandable) that you don't want to spend money on something you are not going to enjoy very long. That's fine. However, there's a lot of people (not in this forum, but in game chat and in real life in general) with this concept comparing a game with, I don't know, housing market, or something in the stock market. Be sincere. When you are making bussiness in real life, you have to risk real money, and that's something you want to do in the most safest way possible, and with money you can lose. Of that money depends your entire life, and probably even your wife/husband and sons lifes as well.

However, when you're paying for a dual cross lightsaber in SWTOR, it does not matter if you're paying 5 bucks or 500. You're paying for a hobbie. In other words, you are WASTING the money. This is not an investment. Not a stock buying. It's money you are spending in something you like and enjoy, but it's totally useless in real life. And probably in the game too. The moment you pay for a month, for a slave girl bikini, Revan armor or Mandalorians dual blasters, that money is wasted in absolutely useless stuff. And that's something I'm aware of. And I spent that money with the security that it's not coming back, and it's money I'm 100% I don't need, because the important expenses are already payed, or at least secure.

It's not an investment in any way possible. It's a whim. Pure and simple. I thought it was important that someone make that point. Just saying.

No, it's just fearmongering. I don't know why you decided to jump to the rescue for your first ever post, but if you truly believe that they were innocently asking a question, maybe you should educate yourself, and go back and read some of their previous posts. A concerned citizen doesn't jump up on a soapbox with a loudhailer and demand answers to a completely made up situation, invented by a few known trolls who took a writers biased opinion given in a single line in an unrelated article.

And "the masses" wouldn't have to be "quelled", as they wouldn't have known anything about this without the OP and company spreading this malicious "gossip".

Ironic. It's the OP and friend's "quick hatred" of Bioware that started all this. I'm not hating, I'm asking people to stop spreading fear to feed their ego.

Ok, I educated myself. I didn't see the cancerous posts you spoke of. However, I did see you jumping 0 to 60 on the hate train and lashing out at anyone with an opposing view. Perhaps, the mature thing to do would be letting the OP know that there is absolutely nothing to be worried about and that it was all made up (and maybe provide some evidence to back that up) would be more beneficial than bashing him and others. I understand your frustrations with your beliefs of there being nothing to fear except for people creating these threads, but I feel you're going about it in the wrong way. Feel free to insult me if it'll make you feel better, because that's all I've seen out of you. If you reread his comments, I don't get the "I want SWTOR to die" or "I hate Bioware, join the bandwagon" vibe. Based on his posts (in other threads) he seems to be an active player, and it is plausible that he would just like an answer (for the community, not just himself). Your accusations of such are as unsubstantiated (or possibly worse) than the demise that the article presents. There might have been a better way to go about it then what he did, that's not what I'm arguing.

I prefer logic and believe in arguing points. I "jumped to the rescue" of this dude more so to debate that people's comments are not matching the OP's posts and are more of a reflection of people's irritation from factors outside this thread. Please reread the first comment I responded to and my response. I merely point out how I disagree with the "ignorance is bliss" mentality and at least being wary of the potential of this game shuting down. I do apologize if I'm not as "in the know" as you and able to decipher which articles have a basis in reality or not. The constant comments in General chat in-game is what brought me here in an attempt to "educate" myself. However, in the process of doing that, I found some toxic childish name calling and sheer ignorance coming from Davidatkinson towards the OP that I feel was unwarranted. It might just be because I'm from a different generation than most players here. Who knows? Now excuse me while I dig deeper into all of this.

It often baffles me why folks can get genuinely angry at people that fear this game may come to an end sooner than it should.

Questioning the motives of the OP is silly at best. Whether or not the concern is genuine, it is FAR WORSE for a business to ignore the perception that something may be amiss than it is to express concern about it.

If folks truly did not care about the demise of the game they would simply say nothing and let it die, so to speak.

The game WILL end.....that much is absolute fact. Everything ends. The question is when, and some folks are concerned.

I do not find that concern something that is worth derision. I find it more likely that folks angered by that concern are perhaps sharing those fears and angry that people like the OP remind them of this.

I would imagine trying to predict the "end time" for a game is always part of a discussion about it's future. You can discuss a possible shut down today and be talking about 2022 or 2023. But such dates aren't very interesting to an article posted today. Sometimes people want to overreact before they think. I guess that's fun?

Seeing as how EA bought the license to Star Wars and this is the only Star Wars MMORPG, it wouldn't make sense to shut it down until a replacement was ready. We can reasonably conclude that we are not even within 2 years of a replacement being completed since no details of one being in development have been officially revealed yet. We know they shut down Visceral and announced plans to change the direction of that project. It could be the "replacement," but as I said, would still be a couple years away at least. So if that is the plan on paper, that would be what the so-called discussions would be revolving around.

But if you thrive on doom and gloom, don't let me stop you.

leaps of logic

It's very generous of you to say there's logic involved :)

And alcohol! Don't forget lots of alcohol!

I stand corrected.

this is the only Star Wars MMORPG, it wouldn't make sense to shut it down until a replacement was ready.

Bingo. EA likes money. Monopolies tend to make money, and TOR has a monopoly on MMORPG players that like Star Wars. Until TOR starts costing instead of making money, and there's no alternative, it won't be going anywhere.

I'm not one to post on the forums or to get involved in these things, but I was bored and felt the need to address your comment. The OP said nothing about wanting to leave, displayed little negativity, and seems to be concerned about a game he has no doubt spent a fair amount of time and money on. It might be an unfounded conspiracy theory or it could be genuine. Who knows? It looks like someone was just looking for some reassurance and I can't blame him. As for "Leave the people who want to play and enjoy it alone..." There's always the potential of not having a game to play. Games have been known to be no longer accessible (like Marvel Heroes). So, if the game is ended and no longer accessible a month from now then you better get your fill. I for one agree with the OP. I WILL NOT be pumping money into this game until I know that it is stable for at least a while. I pumped money into Marvel Heroes, played for hundreds of hours, and now I cannot access any of it. Some other people in this thread have made good points and the OP's post has some flaws, but you managed to not really highlight them. Starting a panic will also hasten the game's demise, but I believe enough people have already seen the rumors and the damage is done. And he's not wrong, but a comment from the developers would potentially help (though I know they might not be able to or have nothing to report because it is still being decided).

And the 6 year old mentality comment is kind of unwarranted in this case, in my opinion. If you detest juvenile behavior then don't add to it. Anyway, that's my thoughts.

Thanks for the comments, this is why I keep DavidA on ignore.

It often baffles me why folks can get genuinely angry at people that fear this game may come to an end sooner than it should.

Questioning the motives of the OP is silly at best. Whether or not the concern is genuine, it is FAR WORSE for a business to ignore the perception that something may be amiss than it is to express concern about it.

If folks truly did not care about the demise of the game they would simply say nothing and let it die, so to speak.

The game WILL end.....that much is absolute fact. Everything ends. The question is when, and some folks are concerned.

I do not find that concern something that is worth derision. I find it more likely that folks angered by that concern are perhaps sharing those fears and angry that people like the OP remind them of this.

It's personal, both CT and DavidA are long term ignore list people. They are my little stalkers :)

BW you need to either deny or this game will end by default.

Do you think with these rumors I am going to spend money on CM?

lol, no, duh.

Renew a sub? Especially more than 30 days?

lol, no, duh.

You already have population issues despite the recent merges, one more exodus and you won't have enough subs to pay the janitor.

Or maybe you guys are just updating your resumes and we should all just read the writing on the wall and move on? :confused:

Of course the game will end. But you know what? I just earned more money sitting on the toilet given compound interest and the US Stockmarket than your pointless preening prattle.

So who comes out on top? I'm having fun paying a miniscule amount of money vs. you -- a perpetual troll who keeps posting about how much fun he isn't having yet keeps paying to say it.

/boggle

Dasty

Of course the game will end. But you know what? I just earned more money sitting on the toilet given compound interest and the US Stockmarket than your pointless preening prattle.

So who comes out on top? I'm having fun paying a miniscule amount of money vs. you -- a perpetual troll who keeps posting about how much fun he isn't having yet keeps paying to say it.

/boggle

Dasty

Wow you mad bro? :D

For such a super businessman you sure lose your cool easy.:p

Wow you mad bro? :D

For such a super businessman you sure lose your cool easy.:p

I've got bad news for you. I just finished what I was doing on the toilet and am about to go play a game I enjoy.

Protip: You're paying money for an activity you don't like.

Who is the sharper tool in the shed?

Protip: Me

Dasty

I need to purchase some coins soon myself, have a small amount.

But I don't want this game to end prematurely, so I keep paying my sub. I enjoy playing the game and I DO enjoy what we have atm. I want more of course, but there's still plenty for me to do in it. If we don't pay until they let us know what's up, then I can guarantee that we won't last long. Just pay your sub, buy a few coins if you need or want to and wait and see what happens.

Bioware's not going to confirm or deny any rumors except to post the roadmap or whatever, so holding your breath isn't going to change that.

But I don't want this game to end prematurely, so I keep paying my sub. I enjoy playing the game and I DO enjoy what we have atm. I want more of course, but there's still plenty for me to do in it. If we don't pay until they let us know what's up, then I can guarantee that we won't last long. Just pay your sub, buy a few coins if you need or want to and wait and see what happens.

Bioware's not going to confirm or deny any rumors except to post the roadmap or whatever, so holding your breath isn't going to change that.

Yep. Everyone will have a different point of view. If you're still working through your first run of the class stories, there's a lot of content to enjoy. If you've just finished your 8th run through the most recent release, then you're probably hungry for more. Nothing wrong with either point of view, but to make personal attacks against someone for expressing their opinion on the boards is less than productive, to say the least.

Edited by Kurj

Yep. Everyone will have a different point of view. If you're still working through your first run of the class stories, there's a lot of content to enjoy. If you've just finished your 8th run through the most recent release, then you're probably hungry for more. Nothing wrong with either point of view, but to make personal attacks against someone for expressing their opinion on the boards is less than productive, to say the least.

I have 50 toons, so some class stories I've done 4-5 times each just about. I take my time, go through doing new toons, playing my older toons, etc. Sometimes I just hunt/gather to make items, or sell some of the ugly armor/weapons from cartel packs I don't like on the gtn. My point, there's always something to do.

/boggle

Dasty

Unless there are other posts I am not aware of, how does the OPs post indicate that they do not enjoy playing the game?

How does concern about the game closing down become a dislike for the game overall?

....or is this simply a standard attack on the person when you cant attack the opinion?

Ah. Someone who knows how to oppose an opinion constructively without hyperbole...ignoring the hold your breath comment of course.

Sans that, this is how you oppose the OPs post folks.

Foam, let's be honest here. Keith could come to your house, show you 6.0 features, and you'd still be convinced the game's death is imminent.

Not satisfied with the amount of content being put forth even with the expansion announcement? No one's holding you here by force, and $15 a month just to complain on the forums may not be the best use of your time and money.

Edited by Eli_Porter

Unless there are other posts I am not aware of, how does the OPs post indicate that they do not enjoy playing the game?

How does concern about the game closing down become a dislike for the game overall?

....or is this simply a standard attack on the person when you cant attack the opinion?

True.

It seems that some of the posters that post in support of the current state of the game are the most toxic people on the forums, where they just seek to attack the poster not anything they have said, often accompanied by unsupported claims about how important they are, which jars because I doubt multi millionaire investors who make more than it costs to subscribe to the game while performing their morning ablutions would need to brag about it on a game forum.

While their go to post on support of the game, 'Well I'm having fun' is meaningless, no one was trying to suggest that they weren't though should they be called on to explain what they have found as fun and what aspects of the game are most appealing and would be good for the development to focus on and which aspects they feel are less important they are unable to explain.

While their go to solution is you know where the door is or If you don't like it quit, is once again meaningless and I doubt supported by the development team who rely on subscriptions and CM purchases to fund the game. So unless they are willing to purchase additional subscriptions for each of the people leaving and make up the shortfall of lost CM sales, their direction to quit is only harming future development. Which seems at odds for a game that they are claiming to enjoy. Though given they seldom exhibit any positive views on the game and spend most their time on the forums name calling and attacking posters I suspect they will quit soon enough once they have no one left to insult.

No one's holding you here by force, and $15 a month just to complain on the forums may not be the best use of your time and money.

Don't discourage him from paying for it. That's 15 dollars the rest of us benefit from. If someone supports the game financially we should welcome it, regardless of their motivation for doing so :)

True.

It seems that some of the posters that post in support of the current state of the game are the most toxic people on the forums, where they just seek to attack the poster not anything they have said, often accompanied by unsupported claims about how important they are, which jars because I doubt multi millionaire investors who make more than it costs to subscribe to the game while performing their morning ablutions would need to brag about it on a game forum.

While their go to post on support of the game, 'Well I'm having fun' is meaningless, no one was trying to suggest that they weren't though should they be called on to explain what they have found as fun and what aspects of the game are most appealing and would be good for the development to focus on and which aspects they feel are less important they are unable to explain.

While their go to solution is you know where the door is or If you don't like it quit, is once again meaningless and I doubt supported by the development team who rely on subscriptions and CM purchases to fund the game. So unless they are willing to purchase additional subscriptions for each of the people leaving and make up the shortfall of lost CM sales, their direction to quit is only harming future development. Which seems at odds for a game that they are claiming to enjoy. Though given they seldom exhibit any positive views on the game and spend most their time on the forums name calling and attacking posters I suspect they will quit soon enough once they have no one left to insult.

You are pretty spot on, but its generally a waste of time arguing or exchanging point of view or simply discuss the state of the game with dimwits, who can't see past their own nose.

In the big picture of things only a lot of noise can cause reactions from game studios, not what some minorities think. Like it or not, no doomsayers or white knight dimwits will make a difference, but if lot of people are unhappy with the game, then the devs may decide to get somethings done. Voting with your wallet...that is what greedy and shortsighted organisations understand....and very bad PR. It is amusing a game with the Star Wars IP to be in such a state, even more if it is from the calibre of SWTOR. Shameful for EAware.

Though in the end forums are for opinions, every kind of them...problem is narrow minded people can't stand different opinions. Lot of big people on the internet as usual.

Edited by ExarSun

Foam, let's be honest here. Keith could come to your house, show you 6.0 features, and you'd still be convinced the game's death is imminent.

Not satisfied with the amount of content being put forth even with the expansion announcement? No one's holding you here by force, and $15 a month just to complain on the forums may not be the best use of your time and money.

I'm not the topic, on the topic, do you think they should deny or just ride it out or are you just trolling?

BW you need to either deny or this game will end by default.

Do you think with these rumors I am going to spend money on CM?

lol, no, duh.

Renew a sub? Especially more than 30 days?

lol, no, duh.

You already have population issues despite the recent merges, one more exodus and you won't have enough subs to pay the janitor.

Or maybe you guys are just updating your resumes and we should all just read the writing on the wall and move on? :confused:

Bro, monthly subs net them more than 180 day subs. Their payment system encourages non-commitment by the playerbase.

Edited by olagatonjedi