Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Returning player gearing question for DPS.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Returning player gearing question for DPS.

SaltedQuailEggs
01.12.2018 , 12:57 AM | #1
So in light of this new alacrity threshold stuff from a couple months ago, should I just be gunning for the min 7.15% alac threshold and dumping the rest into crit? Considering it's not possible to reach a decent crit rating with the second 15.41% alac threshold till I start getting some 242/248 pieces.

WayOfTheWarriorx
01.12.2018 , 06:05 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by SaltedQuailEggs View Post
So in light of this new alacrity threshold stuff from a couple months ago, should I just be gunning for the min 7.15% alac threshold and dumping the rest into crit? Considering it's not possible to reach a decent crit rating with the second 15.41% alac threshold till I start getting some 242/248 pieces.
I would be cautious with regard to the high alacrity build. Alacrity has always been [always since it was made actual useful that is =p ] but a stat that's something of a tentative value with respect to uptime. When you have a good amount of uptime it's effects are easily seen, but without sufficient uptime it's value plummets dramatically. While the high alacrity yield build can afford you an extra GCD potentially, if you do not have a sufficient amount of up time [in some cases upwards of 18 seconds I believe] you will not benefit with the extra GCD. So it is a very high investment stat pool wise that can potentially be something of a waste should you find yourself without enough uptime to fully benefit for the investment on a regular basis. Something like dummy parsing, you can be much more assured that you will recieve the full benefit of the stat investment because you will have the sufficient uptime to gain the extra GCD. You may even find some boss fights that will provide you with a steady enough amount of reliable uptime to make the stat investiment worth while in the overall.

I think it would be fair to say that ranged, with it's tendency to enjoy greater uptime would be a more reliable case for using the build. But if you find for example in PVP you are often being stunned, slowed, mezzed and thereby unable to keep a steady semblance of rotation with the incuring delays they cause you may find the steep stat investment less attractive a prospect. But in a spec such as a Fury Marauder, while melee, it's anti-cc passives and greater mobility will tend to afford it a greater uptime than might otherwise be associated with a melee spec.

I'm not discounting the wisdom of the build for melee, there are many who run it, I personally would suggest you getting a feel for how steady of uptime you tend to maintain in your chosen play area [PVE/PVP] before making a full investiment in it. Just bare in mind the results you will get while dummy parsing will not be representitve of real combat conditions and so while you may see a steady flow of the extra GCDs obtained by the build with the 100% uptime [ or high amounts of uptime] any slow downs and interuptions will dimish the amount of of extra GCDs you may obtain over an extended period of time.

If you are skilled in your spec and able to maintain good uptime values the investment is certainly a safer bet. Just don't assume that by merely having the recommended amount of alacrity for the high alacrity build it will automatically insure you of those added GCDS.

If you aren't able to reach the recommended alacrity due to gear level not providing you with a sufficient amount of stat pool availability for the build, I wouldn't recommend skimping greatly on crit so as to give the stat pool necessary to reach the needed alacrity amount for the high alacrity build. - Also alacrity values that fall between the 7.15% and the 1866 alacrity stat needed for the high alacrity built while it might not buy you the extra GCD the alacrity does still have effects other than just that [CD times]. Additionally, certain specs may afford you permanent or temporary boosts of alacrity that could weigh into the value of intervening levels of alacrity through stat pool investment. How much that is worth it to you is another matter.

Crit is a very important stat for DPS [and healers], I don't think running subpar crit levels so you could reach the alacrity necessary for the high alacrity build is the better option, but that's just my personal opinion, others may take a different view.
~ I am Grim.

SWTOR's Public Enemy # 1

SaltedQuailEggs
01.12.2018 , 10:47 PM | #3
Thanks for the insight. Very helpful reply