Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Jedi Guardian- vigilance or focus?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Jedi Guardian- vigilance or focus?

JSouthyy's Avatar


JSouthyy
01.03.2018 , 01:38 PM | #1
Hey guys, Iím a new player, really enjoying my jedi Guardian so far, but I just hit level 10 and Iím wondering what dps spec I should go into. Whatís the difference in how they play and perform, and what would be best for leveling? Thanks.

ExarSun's Avatar


ExarSun
01.03.2018 , 01:45 PM | #2
Vigilance damage is based on DoT's, whereas Focus has bursts. Both spec are good and fun. Both are viable. Depends what playstyle you like more.

JSouthyy's Avatar


JSouthyy
01.03.2018 , 01:53 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by ExarSun View Post
Vigilance damage is based on DoT's, whereas Focus has bursts. Both spec are good and fun. Both are viable. Depends what playstyle you like more.
Thank you, thatís very helpful, I think Iím gonna go focus then!

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
01.03.2018 , 02:28 PM | #4
I like vigi just because it was easy for me to learn coming from tank spec lol.

Like the other guy said, focus is burst, vigi is dot. Pick your poison.

Eli_Porter's Avatar


Eli_Porter
01.04.2018 , 02:46 AM | #5
One thing that turned me off Focus/Rage is the leap in the rotation, as it messes up positioning in certain boss fights. It also has a more difficult rotation.

The advantage of Burst is only really good for PvP, but Jugg/Guardian DPS specs are pretty bad in PvP due to the lack of defensive cooldowns, making you better off going tank spec with DPS gear for PvP.

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
01.05.2018 , 03:06 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Eli_Porter View Post
The advantage of Burst is only really good for PvP, but Jugg/Guardian DPS specs are pretty bad in PvP due to the lack of defensive cooldowns, making you better off going tank spec with DPS gear for PvP.
Again can we please stop recommending people who want to dps run skanks? 2 nights ago I had a match with 3 of my guys. The 4 pugs were 3 skanks and a tank. I was the only person in the match (a full length voidstsr) to break a mill protection.

Just... If you want to dps, do it in a spec that can kill things. If you insist on skanking learn to tank.

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
01.09.2018 , 07:17 AM | #7
I prefer Vigilance. Because my favorite form is form 5. Plus with vigilance, don't have to leap around. Just stay right there and wail away.

Though I'm totally weird cause I'll go full tank equipment but use Vig in solo stuff but I have no problem respeccing for full tank mode.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
01.10.2018 , 08:30 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
I prefer Vigilance. Because my favorite form is form 5. Plus with vigilance, don't have to leap around. Just stay right there and wail away.

Though I'm totally weird cause I'll go full tank equipment but use Vig in solo stuff but I have no problem respeccing for full tank mode.
There is literally zero point in using tank gear in vigi because, since the stances are now tied to your discipline, the ability to shield attacks (which is tied to soresu) is only avaliable to tanks.

Also, vigi lacks many important passive defensives that the tank tree has; so all this would do even if it worked (like pre 5.0) would be to tax healers. You also do not have the aggro generation of a tank and no aoe taunt since that is tied to discipline.

Euphrosyne's Avatar


Euphrosyne
01.10.2018 , 11:38 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
There is literally zero point in using tank gear in vigi because, since the stances are now tied to your discipline, the ability to shield attacks (which is tied to soresu) is only avaliable to tanks.

Also, vigi lacks many important passive defensives that the tank tree has; so all this would do even if it worked (like pre 5.0) would be to tax healers. You also do not have the aggro generation of a tank and no aoe taunt since that is tied to discipline.
He did say "solo stuff", so healers and aggro generation aren't really an issue. But yeah, either way, tank stats in dps spec are worse than worthless: they don't add much if anything to survivability and take the place of more useful dps gear.
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
01.10.2018 , 01:34 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
There is literally zero point in using tank gear in vigi because, since the stances are now tied to your discipline, the ability to shield attacks (which is tied to soresu) is only avaliable to tanks.

Also, vigi lacks many important passive defensives that the tank tree has; so all this would do even if it worked (like pre 5.0) would be to tax healers. You also do not have the aggro generation of a tank and no aoe taunt since that is tied to discipline.
Ok get off the high horse. If you'd of bothered reading instead of venting your spleen, in any kind of group play I switch to full on tank mode so that's where I use the mods. I just prefer having Vig because it fits the way I RP my character and I am a big fan of form V.

So please, do me a favor. Take that kriffing attitude that you're the end all be all for Guardians, amd shove it where the sun don't shine.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy