Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New combat system?

Jedi-of-the-Hill
01.03.2018 , 01:35 PM | #1
SWTOR's combat system has been deprecated for years now. It is, quite simply, not used anymore in modern gaming. No sane developer making an MMO today would go anywhere near it.

SWTOR has always had its problems, but I think the big one that was always the millstone dragging the game down was the combat system. For some reason Bioware decided the smart move was to carbon-copy the combat almost directly from World of Warcraft, and the game was immediately labeled a "WoW Clone" upon launch.

Being a "WoW Clone" is the kiss of death for MMOs. Death by a thousand cuts, true, but eventual death nonetheless. It's just a matter of time.

MMOs created today use a much more action-based combat system. Think TERA, Elder Scrolls Online, Neverwinter, just to name a few. It's an incredibly long list. So the question I have is this: Is it too late to make a change to something more modern? Or is SWTOR so married to old-school MMO combat that they're prepared to die for it?
"All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your *%@ lemons, what am I supposed to do with these?!"

LunaticFringer
01.03.2018 , 02:01 PM | #2
There are some of us, and the age group isn't pinned down because it's pretty wide-spectrum, that simply can't play FPS styled combat games. IE... we actually need the traditional mmorpg controls. Free cursor combat. It isn't always about being able to zoom out in third person. We actually need the free cursor because it is one of the contributing factors in our gaming motion sickness. Sounds like a joke, I know. But I'm 100% genuine when I say that is why some of us play this over those other games and we might even be over in those other games if we could play it like this.

Now having said that, I'd be happy to meet FPS-favored combat players half-way and say... there honestly isn't any reason developers can't create UI that allows players to pick how they play the game in this fashion. And I do believe there are a couple of Eastern mmorpgs experimenting with this to include The Repopulation here in the West. We'll have to see if it catches on. However, to add FPS styled combat to SWTOR at this point would probably require an Engine overhaul. And that isn't easy... you essentially have to make a new game when you're dealing with changing the game engine. SWTOR would have to shut down probably for a year minimum for them to implement it... or at least that much work on a private server before dumping it on us. I get where you're coming from though since the majority of the gaming industry is dominated by FPS players.

Plus, I'll give you kudos for not saying New Game Enhancement... because that would've been bad.
"The Utinni must flow!" ~Jΰlen Storm, The Star Forge!
Refer a Friend Link
The Dream is Playable Jawas and a Twerking Emote!

SaerethDL
01.03.2018 , 02:19 PM | #3
I prefer the tab targeting system myself instead of "fake action" Question though, why are you playing swtor and not any of those many games you mentioned? Tera and neverwinter are basically dead, and ESO is kept alive by the elder scrolls in its name, but the combat and limited abilities in that game are horrible IMO.
"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan, and yet you are nothing.You will forever stand alone."
Get a FREE server transfer, FREE 7 days subscription, FREE inventory slot upgrade and other FREE goodies! CLICK HERE

Jedi-of-the-Hill
01.03.2018 , 03:13 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by SaerethDL View Post
I prefer the tab targeting system myself instead of "fake action" Question though, why are you playing swtor and not any of those many games you mentioned? Tera and neverwinter are basically dead, and ESO is kept alive by the elder scrolls in its name, but the combat and limited abilities in that game are horrible IMO.
Of course you prefer the tab targeting system. I'm willing to bet just about everybody on these forums does. Anyone who doesn't like it either left SWTOR a long time ago or didn't buy it in the first place.

For my part, I'm here because I enjoy the world and the friends I've made in it, and I've been playing these things since the launch of Ultima Online. I've played every combat model there is, it doesn't matter all that much to me personally. I can find as much entertainment clicking my target to death as I can performing a hotbar twist.

Having said that, it is my personal opinion this game would be better served with a more recent combat system.

But actually, I kinda like the idea the poster above you had. There's nothing saying the game couldn't be controlled either way. It's just a different presentation of the UI when you think about it.
"All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your *%@ lemons, what am I supposed to do with these?!"

LordFell
01.03.2018 , 04:50 PM | #5
Changing the combat system would require a new engine...

I think SWTOR's target audience is probably more a tab-targeting crowd, anyways.

Qouivandes
01.03.2018 , 05:05 PM | #6
there is one style of game that has always turned me away and that is the boxed view FPS. If a game has a third person perspective, then I am OK (Fallout 4), but if not...i simply do not play. My son prefers FPS. Everyone has their thing. Twitch targeting isnt always so easy for some, but simple for folks like my son. i sometimes go berserk on my tab key during a pvp match and still continually miss my target.

btw: we would be lucky to be a wow clone. they get major expansions every couple of years, with more to do ingame that i sometimes think about resubbing then quickly change my mind with all that i would need to do just to catch up to everyone. its insane.

the combat in SWtOR doent need revamping. its fine the way it is right now. if youre looking for an EA sponsored FPS set in the Star Wars universe...BattleFront 2 is -->

also, as someone has pointed out, ESO....tried it. limited abilities and a combat designed for a console. looks nice, though, and the crafting is intriguing, but didnt stay for more than a month at best. for all its talk of being who adn what you want, but then handicapping certain race/class combos off the truck turned me off. the housing was what really had me interested, but then found out the absurd requirements for just a cup. I did have fun shooting my bow for a while, but even that was frowned upon.
*”˜˜.•°*”˜˜”*°•.˜”* The Cer'qeuil Legacy *”˜.•°*”˜˜”*°•.˜˜”*
•°*”˜.•°*”˜˜.•°*”˜ Ebon Hawk ˜”*°•. ˜˜”*°•.˜”*°•
. This is my referral link. We both get some goodies so feel free to click and earn

_Tarkus_
01.03.2018 , 05:05 PM | #7
I didn't read every post, but if you want another combat system you should change game. Asking to change it is pointless.
Make vanilla content great again!

DanNV
01.03.2018 , 05:29 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by SaerethDL View Post
Just FYI, ESO is currently running 2.5 million accounts logging in a month. That's more people logging in that SWTOR has ever had. It certainly isn't stumbling along like SWTOR, trying hard not to die before EA says it's time.

Now, that said, I don't have an issue with SWTOR's combat system. It works fine in general. I like ESO's as well. Neither is really "action" and they aren't twitch games, so they're fine.

SWTOR won't get a change in the combat system because they don't have the dev team to do it anymore. If they can't touch the original code for fear of breaking it, so they can't do variable difficulty in the original game, they certainly can't go as deep as redoing combat.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Devs gambled everything on GC RNG, but they didn't even get green loot.
REGULATORS