Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How would you spread crew skills in 8 characters?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
How would you spread crew skills in 8 characters?

Ampalaea
01.01.2018 , 09:31 AM | #1
Greetings everyone. I have 8 characters, once of each class and each advanced class. I am thinking how to spread my crew skills for maximum potential (either personal use or selling to GTN). So far what I have is :

Sith Marauder: -
Sith Assassin: -
Operative: -
Powertech: Armormech - Scavenging - Underworld Trading

Jedi Guardian: Biochem - Bioanalysis - Diplomacy
Jedi Sage: -
Gunslinger: -
Commando: -

How would you spread crafting skills on these characters? Also please explain the reason of your choice! One note, I would prefer duplicate mission skills (Underworld Trading, Diplomacy, etc) than duplicate gathering ones, only if they are equal on profit/efficiency!

Also I am a casual player, I dont have a "main".. I play all of them equally. With my guild we do some flashpoints and story mode ops only, but we all roll alts there etc. I just want my crafting skill to craft better armor and make some credits possible (like a average player, craft few things, sell.. no flip things in GTN or spend try control market etc...)

Thanks in Advance!

psandak
01.01.2018 , 10:44 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Ampalaea View Post
Greetings everyone. I have 8 characters, once of each class and each advanced class. I am thinking how to spread my crew skills for maximum potential (either personal use or selling to GTN). So far what I have is :

Sith Marauder: -
Sith Assassin: -
Operative: -
Powertech: Armormech - Scavenging - Underworld Trading

Jedi Guardian: Biochem - Bioanalysis - Diplomacy
Jedi Sage: -
Gunslinger: -
Commando: -

How would you spread crafting skills on these characters? Also please explain the reason of your choice! One note, I would prefer duplicate mission skills (Underworld Trading, Diplomacy, etc) than duplicate gathering ones, only if they are equal on profit/efficiency!

Also I am a casual player, I dont have a "main".. I play all of them equally. With my guild we do some flashpoints and story mode ops only, but we all roll alts there etc. I just want my crafting skill to craft better armor and make some credits possible (like a average player, craft few things, sell.. no flip things in GTN or spend try control market etc...)

Thanks in Advance!
If you are looking to be self-sufficient then you will need one of each crafting skill. I have found through my six years playing this game that for the most part each crafting skills requires 1.5 appropriate gatherers and mission skills to properly feed crafting (assuming no farming; I dislike farming I find it boring); if you only have 1 gatherer/mission to feed the crafting you will find yourself scrambling for materials when you want them, if you have 2 gatherer/mission to feed the crafting you will find that you have a slightly abundance of material (that you can always sell on the GTN for credits). IMO better to have too much than not enough. There are a couple of exceptions to this general rule and I will explain...

3 Archaeologists to feed Synthweaving and Artifice. It also pays to use stronghold color crystal decorations to gather from. Because weapon crystals and dye modules use all grades of materials you may want to add a 4th arch for diversity of mission

5 Scavengers to feed Armstech, Armormech, and Cybertech. this will leave you with a slight abundance of scavenging materials.

1 or 2 Bioanalysis to feed Biochem. Depends on how much crafting for profit you do with Biochem.

1 investigation to feed Armstech. This is one of the exceptions. While I do run low on Investigation materials now and then, using just one characters companions I can rebuild my stock fairly quickly.

2 to 4 Underworld Traders to feed Armormech, Cybertech, and Synthweaving. Depends on what you are crafting most with these skills.

2 or 3 Diplomacy to feed Biochem. Again depends on how much crafting for profit you do with Biochem.

2 or 3 Treasure Hunters to feed Artifice. Yet again crafting for profit will determine how many you need, and again Artifice uses ALL grades of materials.

As many slicers as you can muster. Augments, Augmentation Slot Kits, Barrels (AT), Hilts (Art), Armorings (SW and AM), Mods (CT), and Enhancements (CT) all use "sliced parts". So this feeds all crafting except biochem

With your eight characters you have 24 crew skill slots. If you use 6 for crafting that leaves you 18 for gathering and mission skills. Assuming the minimum (which will leave you short now and then):

2 Arch (really want 3)
4 Scav (really want 5)
1 BA (could use 2)
1 Inv (this is OK)
2 UWT (should have 3 or 4)
2 Dip (this is OK)
2 TH (might consider a 3rd)
4 Slicing (really want at least 6)

The more you craft for profit, the more gathering and mission skills you should have to keep costs down, especially when it comes to purple materials from mission skills.

It really does not matter what class has what skills. You might want to have a force user take synth and artifice and a non-force user to take armstech and armormech, but only because what those skills specific craft better suit those archetypes: Synth and Art craft robes and lightsabers AT and AM craft blasters and "armor". But a Jedi/Sith CAN wear Armormech crafted armor and will use Armstech crafted augments. And a trooper/BH can wear a robe crafted by Synthweaving and will use Color crytsals and Dye modules and relics and non-weapon off hand items from Artifice.

If you want to start more slowly. Artifice Cybertech and Biochem are probably the crafting skills that will provide the most useful items: ear, implant, and relic; mods and enhancements; consumables (stims, adrenals and medpaks). Armstech, Armormech, and Synthweaving produce all the augments and slot kits so you will want those eventually.

You can also look at several guides I have written linked in my signature.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

Ampalaea
01.01.2018 , 01:45 PM | #3
wow, thanks a lot! Great reply!! Will apply this :P

Huantu
01.02.2018 , 12:43 PM | #4
Going to have to disagree with this a little. There is really no reason to have more than one mission skill per legacy, with a possible exception of Underworld Trading just to keep your Luxury (Force) and Metals (Tech) separate. Something else to remember is that both Synthweaving and Armormech items look VERY different whether you are dressing a Republic or Imperial character. I took one of these for each faction.

I went with this setup
Force
Juggernaught - Synthweaving, Archaeology, Underworld Trading
Sorcerer - Biochem, Bioanalysis, Diplomacy
Sentinel - Artiface, Archaeology, Treasure Hunting
Shadow - Synthweaving, Archaeology, Bioanalysis
Tech
Powertech - Armormech, Scavenging, Slicing
Operative -Armstech, Slicing, Investigation
Commando - Cybertech, Scavenging, Underworld Trading
Gunslinger - Armormech, Scavenging, Slicing

This gives me one of each crafting skill (and I can dress both Imp and Rep), 3 Archaeology, 3 Scavenging, 3 Slicing, and 2 Bioanalysis. And my Luxury and Metals stay nice and separate.

This also has the advantage of any future toons (9,10,11,...) all I have to do is take gathering skills on them. (I plan to run all classes again using the opposite alignment / sex.)

casirabit
01.02.2018 , 03:25 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Ampalaea View Post
wow, thanks a lot! Great reply!! Will apply this :P
I would check his guides as well. He has been around since launch and one that can be trusted to steer people the right way. I know his guides helped me when I needed help with my skills.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing. If you like redheads click my Referral link Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj

Ampalaea
01.02.2018 , 04:37 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by casirabit View Post
I would check his guides as well. He has been around since launch and one that can be trusted to steer people the right way. I know his guides helped me when I needed help with my skills.
yeap, the ones on his signature :P already seen them! but thanks for the advice!

jojobanutz
01.02.2018 , 05:47 PM | #7
Hi,
Basically I agree with Psandak on the qty of each crew skill which would be ideal. However while you still only have 8 characters, I'd organise them along the following lines. Split them into Crafters and Suppliers, and allocate the Crafters the recommended matching Craft/Gathering/Mission skills. Mainly to help keep things simple

For the suppliers always start with Slicing, then add gathering and mission skills to compensate for likely shortfalls. Something like those below.

'Crafters'
Char 1: Armormech, Scavenging, Underworld Trading
Char 2: Armstech, Scavenging, Investigation
Char 3: Artifice, Archaeology, Treasure Hunting
Char 4: Biochem, Bioanalysis, Diplomacy
Char 5: Cybertech, Scavenging, Underworld Trading
Char 6: Synthweaving, Archaeology, Underworld Trading

'Suppliers'
Char 7: Slicing, Archaeology, Treasure Hunting
Char 8: Slicing, Bioanalysis, Diplomacy

If you add further 'Supplier' characters later, just make sure they all have Slicing as thier first skill, then add whatever you've noticed have been in short supply.

E.G. mine would prob look something like this -
Char 9: Slicing, Scavenging, Investigation
Char 10: Slicing, Archaeology, Scavenging

One thing nobody has mentioned that can benefit from an emphasis on Underword Trading in your mix, is that all Universal Prefab crafting for decor requires the Fabrics gained from UT.

Likewise all Universal Prefab crafting requires the color crystals gained from Archaeology.

Just my 2 cents.
New or returning Player? Click my referral link for some goodies:
http://www.swtor.com/r/2j5Scb

Referrals explained: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

Vercundus
01.03.2018 , 02:27 AM | #8
I started like that, with just 8. Now my legacy has this:

Armormech 2
Armstech 2
Artifice 2
Biochem 22
Cybertech 2
Synthweaving 2
Archaeology 6
Bioanalysis 8
Scavenging 8
Slicing 4
Diplomacy 10
Investigation 10
Treasure Hunting 10
Underworld Trading 14

Big_Marser
01.03.2018 , 04:01 AM | #9
My little crafting factory currently looks like:

6 crafters:
1st char: Synthweaving, Archeology, Underworld Trading
2nd char: Cybertech, Scavenging, Underworld Trading
3rd char: Armormech, Scavenging, Underworld Trading
4th char: Armstech, Scavenging, Investigation
5th char: Artifice, Archeology, Treasure Hunting
6th char: Biochem, Bioanalysis, Diplomacy
everything @ 600

2 gatherers:
7th char: Slicing, Scavenging, Bioanalysis (@600)
8th char: Scavenging, Archeology, Bioanalysis (about 400)

thenceforth every 3 chars make a block which are foremen for mission skills:
Char A: Slicing, Investigation, Underworld Trading
Char B: Slicing, Treasure Hunting, Underworld Trading
Char C: Slicing, Diplomacy, Underworld Trading
Currently, there are 6 blocks with all skills @ 600
7th block is in work.

Makes currently a total of 29 chars, growing (server merge gave me a bunch of free char slots).

Why do I do so?
It's a simple calculation: why having more than one crafting char per profession? I craft things for the alts and new Slicing/Mission/Mission chars, putting crafted things in legacy hold. Every new alt starts with 2 new crystals and gets equipped @ level 10. All materials are stored in legacy hold, also all money above a cap (crafters 1mio, alts 100k). Crafting automatically takes materials out of the hold, gatherers and foremen filling the hold. The gathering skills have a little surplus to Bioanalysis, but that doesn't matter. Foremen mission skills are in exact ratio for delivering on crafting skills. So I regularly checking the stock in my legacy hold. If there are any shortage on green materials, I'll do heroics in the appropiate areas with a gatherer. If there is any shortage on blue/violet materials, I'll go through the foremen and send companions to missions. Since I have 22 chars at level 70, a run of all heroics on first 3 planets give about 500k-700k credits, I'll never run low on that. Until a new alt is leveled to level 70, it has generated about 3-5 mio credits. It's like a perpetual motion machine. Why am I so easy on having so much chars? It combines with my goal to have at long last one char of each spec on each faction resulting in 48 chars.
active @ Tulak Hord