Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is cheating something I should be concerned about?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Is cheating something I should be concerned about?

MaximilianPower
12.22.2017 , 10:08 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by LordFell View Post
...and yeah, I'm in /GSF. If I'm not going to join a voice protocol, I don't really know that grouping is all that useful, although I will group, because... why not?
Even without voice, groups can be helpful. A little pre-match planning can go a long way, even via keyboard. Simply knowing your teammates' strengths can be useful.

If nothing else: groups get queue priority over folks flying solo. So if you're grouped, you're unlikely to miss a pop.

Zuckerkorn Zuckernaut Spiderzuck Tensorcide Zuck-srw'i
Maximilian Power TøbiasFünke Tryhard Neckbeard MaxPower-srw
Star Forge / Satele Shan / Darth Malgus

Self-Inflicted / Shadowlands Reconnaisance Wing / Retrocide / Imperial Entanglements

LordFell
12.23.2017 , 04:55 AM | #22
I think, maybe, the reason to NOT group... is if there's a strong premade flying on the opposing side, and a couple randos group just to get pops (but don't have pre-planning, synergy or voice) those randos aren't going to be adequate backbone against a for-real premade.

Ramalina
12.23.2017 , 10:08 AM | #23
If you're getting your "randos" through /GSF they're very unlikely to be truly a random selection.

They know enough about GSF to be in /GSF, and they're interested enough in getting a match to be willing to interact with other people to form a group.

Those two selection steps alone already probably put them far above the average skill of a truly random group.

That's more helpful than it may seem, because a just barely mediocre player in the improvised group prevents a CXP farmer or true novice from taking that spot, and that makes a difference against a team that's part premade and part solo que.

If you can get at team full of merely mediocre pilots, if the 3-4 ace premade they're facing gets the rest of their team filled with solo queuers some of which are the sort with 12 deaths, 3% accuracy, and 500 damage done, then those aces are going to have to really work to overcome that handicap.

A really bad player can have almost as much of an impact as a really superior player in GSF. So if you can fill as many slots in a team as possible with players that are at least ok, that can go a long way in influencing the chances of victory.

The next step in easy coordination would be discussing ship choice. For example, does anyone in the group have: a minelayer with hyperspace beacon that they're willing to fly in domination, a tensor scout they're willing to start in in domination, a gunship with Ion Railgun, a ship with either EMP field or EMP missile? Spending 40 seconds before you queue the group letting people shuffle ships on their hangar bars can make a big difference even if that's the only coordination you do as a team.

The real payoff is long term. Getting people used to grouping, getting people used to coordinating a bit, and even if you lose the social aspect of commiserating in chat can all inspire people to be more willing to organize and cooperate in the future. Many of the most ferocious Ace premades really started based on the social aspect as much as anything else. Playing with friends made it more fun, they played more, they got experience, they got better as pilots as a result, and somewhere along the way shifting to VIOP so you can talk about movies and TV while shooting space pixels also gives the ability to coordinate strategy on those rare occasions when coordinating strategy seems more interesting than whatever you were talking about for most of the game (people who haven't been in premades with top aces tend to vastly overestimate the amount of tactical coordination that goes on in voice chat. Most of the chatter is pretty irrelevant to the matches unless talking about collectible card game tournements helps win GSF matchs in ways I don't yet understand).
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

LordFell
12.23.2017 , 04:58 PM | #24
You make a lot of really solid points there.

Ramalina
12.24.2017 , 04:49 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by LordFell View Post
You make a lot of really solid points there.

Mostly just trying to encourage you and cheer you up really.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

Flusssaeure
12.25.2017 , 05:28 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramalina View Post
(people who haven't been in premades with top aces tend to vastly overestimate the amount of tactical coordination that goes on in voice chat. Most of the chatter is pretty irrelevant to the matches unless talking about collectible card game tournements helps win GSF matchs in ways I don't yet understand).
While that might be a random example I do have an answer for that. I played Magic the gathering on a tournament level for a while even when the results where ... mmmh .... nothing to talk about.
Every new tournament you had thousand cards to choose from but at least at my time you were limited to take 75 to a tournament. So event when you considered 300 cards ouf of the thousand tournament viable you still had to find a way to break them down to 75 for a given tournament. And you did that by considering what are you going to face what of that do have to play yourself what do you have to counter and if you have multiple cards fighting over the same roll what is the most usefull option out of that.

Does that sound common? Well the 75 are five in GSF, the five ships that you can put on your bar to select what you take into a match. That's why I don't beleave that nearly every ship is playable. Because your efficency in a game will belimited what you can put on your bar. So it is not about the individual strength of the ships it's about which selection of five will help you in most situations. So if two or more ships compete for the same roll you most likely will only put one of them on your bar to have room for ships covering other rolls even if the individual ships are all good enough to be put on your bar. And at least for Magic the Gathering with big tournaments all around the world this process will be a lot faster than we see it in GSF since 5.5. If you walked through this process for a time you defenitly get another point of view on the importance of the bar compared to the importance of the individual ship.

However after I understand what you talking about lets say before I watched Drakolich stream I didn't expected Verain to be such a trash talker. ("We are the last bomber on the node we have to repopulate the note.")

Flusssaeure
12.25.2017 , 07:09 AM | #27
Forgot something:

Quote: Originally Posted by Drakkolich View Post
That is indeed one of them. I'm working on it but it's slow going because last time I did the maps I had already flown hundreds of games on the map so I knew the map really well. This time I'm both trying to learn the map and map out the DO's at the same time, it's proving difficult.
I noticed as well as I mentoined that I started to find them myself but run into the problem were I have seen one spawn so that I had no chance to confirm or reject if it is a super cluster. So maybe it would be an idea to start a thread after the holidays to work together which points we consider and which not so maybe together we get results father compared to every one trying to do it himself or herself.

LordFell
12.25.2017 , 04:14 PM | #28
I think if you join a random Discord or other VOIP, your mileage may vary.

One of the big things that I find is how immersion breaking it can be to be thinking of someone as an Imperial Agent, and then you get a very real-world accent coming at you. I'm also thinking of some of the Discord channels I've joined while playing League of Legends.... yeah, we're in voice, but we don't know each other, hardly anyone said anything. Or worse, there's a LOT of talking but it's between one of the players fighting with their child-siblings. Probably if you fly with a regular group, you're going to have a much better experience.

...I did have an occasion to tag someone with Rapid Fire Blasters, with Damage Overcharge the other night. Vaporized them in less than a second. It is far more enjoyable being on that side of the equation, but I'm still left with the notion that maybe that's still a little too much.

griffenberg
03.06.2018 , 07:32 PM | #29
There are plenty of cheaters in Starfighter I see them all the time. Since 2013 I have reported dozens most vanished soon after I reported them never to be seen again. My most recent one was a guy flying a strike in a CTF match so no posibility of damage overcharge. I am tucked up under the satelite in my 100% upgraded 100% shield 100% armor bomber with a health drone out plus a railgun sentry and 2 seeker mines. This dude rolls in reall slowly I shoot him with my heavy cannons for a good 4 seconds the railgun sentry hits him both seeker mines hit him and we are not through his shields yet. He then kills me with 1 shot. Bang 1 blaster bolt and my 100% everything bomber is dead. I have been playing starfighter since Dec 2013 there is no game mechanic out there where he can kill me with 1 blaster bolt. His final line for the CTF match was 24 kills 32 assists 0 deaths he had a nearly 90% hit percentage and somehow only took about 8k of damage so you tell me how this dude isn't cheating.

phalczen
03.06.2018 , 08:24 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by griffenberg View Post
This dude rolls in reall slowly I shoot him with my heavy cannons for a good 4 seconds
If the player was stationary or moving slowly and you had 4 seconds of time under nose, you should have had enough time to see the kind of ship the player was flying. That might help us figure out if it's mathematically possible using known blaster damage numbers and known buffs.

As an aside, it is certainly possible to miss 4 HLC shots in a row on a target with high evasion, especially if they are strafing slowly and take a while to come into your HLC's firing arc.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.