Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

State of crafting professions, usefulness?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
State of crafting professions, usefulness?

Ralph_Panda
12.08.2017 , 05:43 PM | #1
Wanted to ask how useful are the professions ingame right now?

I am coming from WoW where pretty much gear crafting professions are useless because the current raid gives way better gear so i am wondering how it works in swtor, is it worth leveling, do they create useful gear etc.

psandak
12.09.2017 , 09:23 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Ralph_Panda View Post
Wanted to ask how useful are the professions ingame right now?

I am coming from WoW where pretty much gear crafting professions are useless because the current raid gives way better gear so i am wondering how it works in swtor, is it worth leveling, do they create useful gear etc.
I am finding it difficult to answer your question because it lacks specificity.

The short answer is: yes crafting skills in SWTOR do produce useful equipment

The longer answer is:

The crafting systems of WoW and SWTOR are quite similar (based on my knowledge of WoW crafting as of Cataclysm; I played WoW and used its crafting system extensively for seven years).

Crafting skills can craft items with the second best stats in the game. But they lack the "set bonus" that gear token gear offers. But the best gear available in SWTOR is notoriously hard to obtain (Master Mode Operations, LOTS of PvP, or pray to the RNG gods), therefore MANY end game players utilize the ability to craft the second best stuff while they pray and wait for the best stuff.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

Ralph_Panda
12.11.2017 , 05:48 AM | #3
Ah cool, so the equipment is inferior to certain endgame content but that content is pretty hard to achieve.

Unlike WoW where you can easily do pug heroic raids and get 945 gear while crafting only gives up to 900(and 2 gear slots up to 935) making all crafted gear utterly useless because heroic raids are easy to do, not something hard to achieve

Eloi_BG
12.12.2017 , 11:50 AM | #4
Best gear in the game right now is 248 (it is hard to get). You can easily get 236 gear via SM ops, and 242 gear via VM ops (VM requires decent groups for anything apart from EV/KP). You can craft up to 246 (without set bonus), which is pretty damn good. However, getting the schematics for 246 gear can take a while, as it is kinda RNG related. I find crafting especially useful for alts.

That being said, there are two things you can craft that are useful without working too hard to get schematics.

1- Augments and augment kits. The only way to get them is crafting or buying from crafters. You can buy the schematics from the vendor. They provide a necessary stat buff for most endgame content. Synthweaving, armstech and armormech can make the kits (used to put in gear to give you an extra slot to put the augment in). Synth does crit/alac augments, armor does shield/absorb and arms does mastery/power (I might be missing some and they kinda messed that up with the new augments, but the old ones are still good).
2 - Reusable stims/adrenals/medpacs. Biochem are the only ones that can make and use those. Can save a chunk of credits if you use them a lot (especially worth it if you're into PVE endgame and playing different specs that make you need to swap stims a lot).

Also crafting is a good way to get money, but I'm not really into that so can't really tell you what the best ways are.

Lmk if you have more questions
Nemio the Acceptable Player

MDresidentx
12.20.2017 , 01:31 AM | #5
This joy of this game is the story. Subscription only gives you access to the grindy parts of the game.
I spent the last two months getting crew skills up to craft and the crew skill system it's endless, laborious and random. At the end of the month, I will revert back to preferred status.

Vercundus
12.21.2017 , 02:22 AM | #6
I would like to read the explanation of how crew skills system is random. There is a small RNG factor in returns from the missions, but that in longer time is not random, it is rather expected.

psandak
12.21.2017 , 06:57 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Vercundus View Post
I would like to read the explanation of how crew skills system is random. There is a small RNG factor in returns from the missions, but that in longer time is not random, it is rather expected.
Points of randomness in crew skills:

1. mission returns (as you point out): there is a flat 5% chance of outright failure and a maximum of 45% chance to critically succeed. The problem is that the human brain fails at properly interpreting what 45% success rate really means; it is close enough to 50/50 that too many believe crits should happen every other mission.
2. crafting: while one cannot fail at crafting there is still the maximum crit chance of 48% (max influence + legacy of crafting 3) and again too many feel that if you craft two of something one should crit.
3. Reverse Engineering. Only applies to trained schematics but there is only a 60% chance of improving an item from blue to purple. Yet again, the human brain fails.

If one properly understands the facts of probability then they can better mitigate what our flawed brain naturally tells us. If not then they come to these forums saying that the crit/RE chance is broken and call the system "laborious and random"

OTOH, they may be talking about the GTN with regard to pricing and competition. It does take some labor to "learn the ropes" of what sells well. But even then competition could undercut one's efforts. So, whether one sells what they want to could be described as "random" based on timing.
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

MDresidentx
12.22.2017 , 01:00 AM | #8
Thank you, psandak Some people in this game are...
What you are failing to understand is that if you have many alts this is magnified across all of them. Have you ever done a statistic sampling? Every mission is random...I probably used the wrong word. I should of said the craft system is RANDOM. The statistics may say you have a probability of this or that but until you run the missions you don't actually know or have a guarantee. During my crew skills run sometimes I would run missions and they would fail one after another repeatedly. It got so bad that I would run missions and log off because I was getting angry waiting 15-25 minutes each mission only to see them fail but I'm done with that now but won't be wasting time in this area anymore. So I rest my case. Personally, I don't think you need crew skills to enjoy the game just get your character to level 70.

Vercundus
12.22.2017 , 01:46 AM | #9
If you are waiting 15-20 mins on a mission you are doing something wrong. Your companions is not properly leveled, thus the chance of getting your desired reward is less.

By your definition of random, almost everything in the game is random. Will your relic proc? Will you get critical hit? Will you miss the boss? Where will be AoE? Will your connection drop? Will there be lag spike? The list might go on and on.

My point it, people often use random as an explanation of the process they either do not understand well enough or do not have enough information about it.

Most of the things in game are based on Random Number Generator, which in its nature is not truly random, since it is programmed, just gives an illusion of randomness. Having said that, at least in this game, you can predict everything within certain confidence level and use that knowledge to be more productive. That itself falls out of the scopes of the game but it is worthy of learning, namely mathematics, probability and statistics. Useful in real life as well

Have a nice day!

psandak
12.22.2017 , 07:09 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by MDresidentx View Post
Thank you, psandak Some people in this game are...
What you are failing to understand is that if you have many alts this is magnified across all of them. Have you ever done a statistic sampling? Every mission is random...I probably used the wrong word. I should of said the craft system is RANDOM. The statistics may say you have a probability of this or that but until you run the missions you don't actually know or have a guarantee. During my crew skills run sometimes I would run missions and they would fail one after another repeatedly. It got so bad that I would run missions and log off because I was getting angry waiting 15-25 minutes each mission only to see them fail but I'm done with that now but won't be wasting time in this area anymore. So I rest my case. Personally, I don't think you need crew skills to enjoy the game just get your character to level 70.
Let me state that I completely agree that one does not NEED crew skills to enjoy this game. But crafting does have its uses and that is what the OP was asking about: is the crafting system in this game "useful". And the answer is an unequivocal YES!

As I said in my initial response, I played WoW and I know how that game's crafting system is largely useless; there are a couple of crafting professions that can be useful, but most of them are not. In this game it is different: all of the crafting skills are useful, but it is a matter of degree. But even so, they are definitely not required.

I have run statistical samples. Granted I have not done one in a few years, but I tested mission and crafting crit chance, and RE success rates when they were much lower than they are now. and EVERY time the numbers were dead on.