Thanks for Malavai Quinn. <3 <3 <3 This is a love thread, haters make your own lol.

Lunafox

I sent a PM to Keith about this with pictures to outline what I meant using the various darker skinned & cyborg Quinns. I also followed it up with one about the removal of brown eyes (before there was any mention of a fix). I will not repeat his full reply here, however it was pretty clear he did not care about my view, saw my issue with customisations/eye colour as irrelevant and had zero understanding of why the look of a particular companion customisation is important to me or any other a player. As a result of his reply I am convinced neither Keith or his colleagues give one toss about some of our game preferences, nor the impact personal preference has on our immersion in the story. They have decided to remove our preferred customisations from cutscenes, replace all missing companions with new models and that is that.

I was left with the impression that swtor's staff have altered the game to cater (a) for their personal story preferences and (b) for players who use instant 60+ tokens who will not have played through any of the original class stories / gained the original companions through playing the story. They would only do this if their data suggests the highest number of subscribers comes from the "new" insta-high-level group of players.

Unless they create a "classic" server where anything from KOTFE and beyond does not exist, at the end of my current three month sub I'm probably finished with swtor. It's not so much the lack of action on companion issues; it's their complete lack of acknowledgement that there is a problem - which brings me back to my view that they are catering for a different type of player and the rest of us can eff off.

That really is disheartening. Sometimes I think, because they're guys and they're absorbed by pvp and whatever it is they like, they fail to understand that not everyone is into that, and it's like they don't seem to realize the story crowd has needs and concerns too. As the Grand Admiral said too, companions make the game what it is, and if they wanted to force us to love default models, then why even offer customizations? It's depressing that you got such an unsatisfactory and depressing response about this. It makes me wonder if they realize how important this stuff is to a fairly large segment of players? Worse still, is that you're thinking of going away. :(

I'm worried about what they're going to do about Theron too...the story and his character seem to be whittled away bit by bit, until I'm afraid there won't be anything recognizable left.

I'm really hoping that they'll see how important this is to us and that we're a lovely and large following for the game. It's hard to keep the faith though, when you get that kind of a feeling from their mail. I mean, it's sad that they don't even come in here to say hello or to acknowledge our existence in anyway at all. I forget if it was you or someone else that said this, it might've been Asmodesu, but it feels like they cater to the people who hate Quinn and companions, especially lately. I wish they'd say something that would give us hope for the future. :(

Do you think we should start a thread - general discussions, wherever it'll be seen the most - about how important companion customizations are? Perhaps that'll get the developers' attention?? ...or maybe I'm being too hopeful...

Might be an idea, that way they'll hopefully see it, cause I doubt they come in here except to ban the sexxxy art. :rolleyes:

Edited by Lunafox

Do you think we should start a thread - general discussions, wherever it'll be seen the most - about how important companion customizations are? Perhaps that'll get the developers' attention?? ...or maybe I'm being too hopeful...

They don't seem to be listening to the pm's, I dunno. might work out and they can see even more different people also wanting it, or just cause a bicker like these forums seem to be all about -.-'

Worth a try I suppose.

Might be an idea, that way they'll hopefully see it, cause I doubt they come in here except to ban the sexxxy art. :rolleyes:

Either they noticed it on their own, or somebody reported it...which means a Quinn hater was in here trolling about invisibly. :eek:

*sprays lurker spray wildly all over the thread*

Quinn: OUCH--!

Sorry! Did I get you in that, too?

Quinn: Well, something got me. ...actually, there's something poking my back. *whirls around, gun at the ready*

Theron: *keels over from the sudden loss of something to lean on*

Quinn: ...you were on wherever-is-after-Copero.

Theron: The lurker spray caught me...

Quinn: *FACEPALM*

They don't seem to be listening to the pm's, I dunno. might work out and they can see even more different people also wanting it, or just cause a bicker like these forums seem to be all about -.-'

Worth a try I suppose.

I sent a link to a thread I started - about various cosmetic bugs that are still ongoing - to Eric Musco...aaaaaaaand no reply. Zip, zilch, nada, noodle. :/ But hey, maybe even bickering will catch their attention...maybe...

This is incoming. Bioware likes to please those who dislike characters more then those who like them in this game, except for Lana. I see no well written way past this whole arc yet, it's already a mess.

It's sad they went new models route. I only used one customisation, Corso, on main class characters but I know others didn't like any of the default looks so I'm all "the character's default look is the real character (to me) but others have used the available customisations and should still see their choice in the scenes"

it's the first meeting the character stuff all over again since once recruited, just like class stories, you can then add customisation, but not before. Just annoying how they've made it after you're character's known them for years and gotta go through that "first meeting" style thing again.

If only that were a problem, I could suffer through it. Talk to a stranger first on Iokath, but the second scene having with customised Malavai and kiss my husband, not some white dude. Now I know for sure that I'll never see him in a cutscene again, so my "reunion" was the "initial cutscene" with a stranger and there will never be anything more with my warrior's husband. Ever. Because I absolutely don't believe -- even less after this reply from Keith -- that anyone will be used in cutscenes except Beniko.

Even when you go to talk to have a final convo with Temple, it's Beniko you must click on in the instance!!!

I can't even imagine romancing Quinn, Dorne, or Temple and suddenly kissing a stranger because their customization didn't show up. >_< How do they not understand that? Characters make this game, and companions - and how they look - are not magically exempt from that.

We may be a majority on these forums but I'm guessing that we are a minority as far as their profit margin is concerned. They might have given a "sympathetic" we understand response but the reality is they are a business and doing something to address our concerns will most likely adversely affect their profits by needing to use more resources to give us what we want. No business does that without sacking staff and I suspect they are already on a skeleton crew. I'm also guessing very few of them were involved in the original game so have nothing invested in keeping it alive.

That really is disheartening. Sometimes I think, because they're guys and they're absorbed by pvp and whatever it is they like, they fail to understand that not everyone is into that, and it's like they don't seem to realize the story crowd has needs and concerns too.........It makes me wonder if they realize how important this stuff is to a fairly large segment of players? Worse still, is that you're thinking of going away. :(

Those of us who loved the class stories and keep subbed hoping this level of story telling will return are as far as Bioware/EA are concerned a small minority and I'm guessing a primarily female minority. They will not cater for us or be concerned with our concerns nor will they be acknowledging us any time soon. People love worship (the "God" thread is a good example) - they can't deal well with criticism or need.

This has been done and it made no difference. Some of the Quinnmancers (myself included) posted in it but, surprise, surprise it has disappeared (or I'm terrible at searching). They made no comment in that forum when it was prominent. They have no intention of doing anything to companion customizations because as far as they are concerned, they are not broken. I suspect that the original version of KOTET would have offered kill options for all remaining missing companions reducing all of them to nothing companions and saving money on voice actor pay and other resources. Remember when cancellations rose really high so they sent out individual questionnaires to find out the problems? Galactic Command gearing grind and loss of our companions was high in the responses. I think they had to find a way to bring companions back but cheaply. The Quinn fiasco was the first. Yes they acknowledged his (and Dorne's) return was lacklustre but they made no comment about the lack of customisation.

If only that were a problem, I could suffer through it. Talk to a stranger first on Iokath, but the second scene having with customised Malavai and kiss my husband, not some white dude.

When I made this specific comment about having a certain preference for my various LI companions, my "thought process" was questioned by Keith. That was the part that was most upsetting. He (and I'm guessing the rest of them) have no concept about why people prefer different customisations for their LIs.

We've all said that their favoured companion is Lana and looking as the dozens of scantily dressed Lanas on every server it would seem they are not alone. Guess we know what to expect for the next expansion - Lana as emperor or some other Lana-centric crap.

I apologise for the massive post with little to no Quinn. Even a random Gucci will not help me. Do they give a refund if you unsub before your sub runs out?

Edited by Sarova

They have no intention of doing anything to companion customizations because as far as they are concerned, they are not broken.

What I'm hearing is that companion customization are not working during cutscenes until you get the character as companion. I'd like to point out that that's how it worked on Vanilla, too. I replayed jedi knight story just last week, and changed Doc's outfit as soon as I got him -- but he was wearing his old outfit until I was off Balmorra. I also tried to give Scourge a customization as soon as I got him, but it didn't let me even buy one until I finished Chapter 2.

If Quinn's customizations are not working on Iokath and everyone else's do work, it's probably a bug, but the devs might have a hard time understanding why this is a problem since that bug just causes it to behave the way it has always behaved.

If Quinn's customizations are not working on Iokath and everyone else's do work, it's probably a bug, but the devs might have a hard time understanding why this is a problem since that bug just causes it to behave the way it has always behaved.

Well, no; I don't think that's it. Returning companions in KOTFE chapters - Torian, Vette, SCORPIO, etc. - have their customizations active for the classes who originally had them as companions (bounty hunter, warrior, agent, respectively). My warrior's Vette came back as...well, my warrior's Vette - customization enabled. Every other class I took through there got default!Vette. This is well before they are actually available as companions (Vette's customization showed up from her first scene in Chapter Thirteen, despite not having her as an available companion until slightly later in the chapter).

But for some reason, the warrior and trooper, who originally had Quinn and Elara as respective companions, do not see their customizations enabled when they reunite with their companions on Iokath.

When I made this specific comment about having a certain preference for my various LI companions, my "thought process" was questioned by Keith. That was the part that was most upsetting. He (and I'm guessing the rest of them) have no concept about why people prefer different customisations for their LIs.

We've all said that their favoured companion is Lana and looking as the dozens of scantily dressed Lanas on every server it would seem they are not alone. Guess we know what to expect for the next expansion - Lana as emperor or some other Lana-centric crap.

I apologise for the massive post with little to no Quinn. Even a random Gucci will not help me. Do they give a refund if you unsub before your sub runs out?

He seriously said that? :mad: That's just plain rude, way past "not understanding." Ugh... Yeah, we know it - Lana's the real Empress, the real star of the show, like Liara T'soni (and to a much lesser extent Leliana) before her. Theron? Will probably get a kill option, thereby writing him out of the story. Arcann and Senya? Kill options; for all intents and purposes, save flavor text, they don't exist. Jorgan, Kaliyo, Vette, Torian? Kill options. They don't exist. Quinn, Dorne? Quinn has a kill option, yet mysteriously Dorne doesn't, but they're *still* written out of the story.

I'm worried for the companions I want to return. Heck, at the rate we're going, Corso will turn up as an exaggerated "dumb hick" stereotype, being so annoying that *everyone* will probably put a gun to his head; Kira will go dark and insane and be required to be put down like a rabid dog; Vector will have retreated so far into the nest that he's actively hostile toward even his own wife, being a massive security risk and...you guessed it, kill option.

At this rate, I want a kill option for Lana - just to make it fair. >_<

I'm sticking with the game simply because I want to see where the story's going...but if companion returns continue to be inane, idiotic, and have customizations disabled...gah, I don't know.

As for refunds...I don't think that's possible... :(

Well, no; I don't think that's it. Returning companions in KOTFE chapters - Torian, Vette, SCORPIO, etc. - have their customizations active for the classes who originally had them as companions (bounty hunter, warrior, agent, respectively). My warrior's Vette came back as...well, my warrior's Vette - customization enabled. Every other class I took through there got default!Vette. This is well before they are actually available as companions (Vette's customization showed up from her first scene in Chapter Thirteen, despite not having her as an available companion until slightly later in the chapter).

But for some reason, the warrior and trooper, who originally had Quinn and Elara as respective companions, do not see their customizations enabled when they reunite with their companions on Iokath.

And I said it's probably a bug.

What I'm hearing is that companion customization are not working during cutscenes until you get the character as companion. I'd like to point out that that's how it worked on Vanilla, too. I replayed jedi knight story just last week, and changed Doc's outfit as soon as I got him -- but he was wearing his old outfit until I was off Balmorra. I also tried to give Scourge a customization as soon as I got him, but it didn't let me even buy one until I finished Chapter 2.

This is incorrect. During play PRIOR to KOTFE many of us gave our companions a particular/preferred FACIAL CUSTOMISATION once they became our companion. When the same companion returned after KOTFE, this customisation has been removed by BW. This is of particular importance for LIs and their story continuation, for anyone who records (fraps etc) their character's story and for immersion in the story. I think you might be referring to OUTFITS which do change to our preference when a chapter or FP is replayed. This is not the case for IOKATH as it is not replayable. The whole issue is that those who played class stories altered our companions using customisations to suit us and played with them like that for years.

This issue has been reported as a bug many, many times and has never been acknowledged as one either in the bug forum, general forum or via private message. It seems to me that the devs decided that no-one cared about original companion looks, since the majority of those playing kotfe/kotet etc would be new players who had no invested effort in gaining these companions. From a business perspective that makes sense. From my perspective as a long-time player it just pisses me off. It's pretty clear from the roadmap and game changes where the devs time will be going so I accept that this is no longer the game for me. I just wish I had gotten Keith's response before I allowed my next three month sub to go through.

This is incorrect. During play PRIOR to KOTFE many of us gave our companions a particular/preferred FACIAL CUSTOMISATION once they became our companion. When the same companion returned after KOTFE, this customisation has been removed by BW. This is of particular importance for LIs and their story continuation, for anyone who records (fraps etc) their character's story and for immersion in the story. I think you might be referring to OUTFITS which do change to our preference when a chapter or FP is replayed. This is not the case for IOKATH as it is not replayable. The whole issue is that those who played class stories altered our companions using customisations to suit us and played with them like that for years.

This issue has been reported as a bug many, many times and has never been acknowledged as one either in the bug forum, general forum or via private message. It seems to me that the devs decided that no-one cared about original companion looks, since the majority of those playing kotfe/kotet etc would be new players who had no invested effort in gaining these companions. From a business perspective that makes sense. From my perspective as a long-time player it just pisses me off. It's pretty clear from the roadmap and game changes where the devs time will be going so I accept that this is no longer the game for me. I just wish I had gotten Keith's response before I allowed my next three month sub to go through.

My English must be worse than I thought.

So the customization is removed altogether? On all characters or just Quinn/Elara? Permanently? Because what I heard from others is that it's just Quinn/Elara and it's only for the cutscenes before you get the companion. I have to rely on these reports since any companion I have used customization on did return with the customization. And no, the only thing I said about outfits is that I wasn't able to change Doc's outfit in vanilla in cutscenes until I got him as a permanent companion, and I wasn't able to give Scourge a customization until I got him as a permanent companion.

Most bugs don't get a dev confirmation, and your assumption that most of the players are new and that's the only reason they don't care is, in my opinion, somewhat absurd. From what I've seen in game, most people don't use customizations. Most of the companions people use have their default look. If this only affects two companions for a short time and most people don't even know about it, and I'm guessing many people don't care enough about that to be concerned.

I'm sorry, and it must suck for you, but this seems to be an issue for a very small number of people, and therefore it's logical it's not a priority for Bioware.

Edited by Seireeni

Then it must be broken, because waaaaay back, when I first got Andronikos and Gault for example, before I even finished their stories on the planet, I went and bought customizations for them, popped them in and they worked in the cutscenes.

Edited by Lunafox

Then it must be broken, because waaaaay back, when I first got Andronikos and Gault, before I even finished their stories, i went and bought customizations for them, popped them in and they worked.

Didn't work for Scourge last week. I went to Ilum right after getting him (straight from the Emperor's fortress no less :p) and tried to buy a customization. It gave the error message "requires Lord Scourge" despite the fact that I had him standing right there.

Didn't work for Scourge last week. I went to Ilum right after getting him (straight from the Emperor's fortress no less :p) and tried to buy a customization. It gave the error message "requires Lord Scourge" despite the fact that I had him standing right there.

Weird. It must something fairly recent then that is causing this, because as I said, I had no issues way back, it's been a while since I played through a character start to finish, but yeah, I didn't like that Gault had a broken horn, I wanted him to have to proper horns and I liked a different flesh tone than he had for him, so I changed him, no issues. Same with Andronikos...and it worked for both customizations I picked for different SIs. I hadn't technically earned them yet, they just start running with you, but off we'd go, fix them up and get back to the story and it was fine, so this is a relatively new thing then. :/

Weird. It must something fairly recent then that is causing this, because as I said, I had no issues way back, it's been a while since I played through a character start to finish, but yeah, I didn't like that Gault had a broken horn, I wanted him to have to proper horns and I liked a different flesh tone than he had for him, so I changed him, no issues. Same with Andronikos...and it worked for both customizations I picked for different SIs. I hadn't technically earned them yet, they just start running with you, but off we'd go, fix them up and get back to the story and it was fine, so this is a relatively new thing then. :/

Might be. I don't use that many customizations, and I don't really have a clear picture of how it used to be. I only regularly use customizations on Risha and Ashara, and both of them are the type that you get them and "earn them", as you put it, at the same time.

So the customization is removed altogether? On all characters or just Quinn/Elara? Permanently? Because what I heard from others is that it's just Quinn/Elara and it's only for the cutscenes before you get the companion.

This is an issue because it affects romanced (love interest) companions who we lost through no choice of our own (Quinn/Dorne/Temple) who all returned not as we remember them. There are also issues if you go back to pre-kotfe content with an original companion who has returned they will be default and in their underpants - that issue is a known bug. In my PMs the issue with brown eyes was confirmed as a bug; the issue with racial customisation preferences was not. Something similar would be a same-sex romance with Theron only to find he returns as straight.

Most bugs don't get a dev confirmation, and your assumption that most of the players are new and that's the only reason they don't care is, in my opinion, somewhat absurd. From what I've seen in game, most people don't use customizations. Most of the companions people use have their default look. If this only affects two companions for a short time and most people don't even know about it, and I'm guessing many people don't care enough about that to be concerned.
I'm sorry, and it must suck for you, but this seems to be an issue for a very small number of people, and therefore it's logical it's not a priority for Bioware.

The thread that was concerned with customisations was several pages long with many different players posting about this issue so it does affect quite few, however I already pointed (and you have reiterated) out that whilst we are large in number we are not large enough for BW to be concerned with (its like 10000 people out of a million - they can afford that sub loss). I will say again (and in case you missed it your post is agreeing with mine), those of us who are affected are a small a SMALL MINORITY for BW (we have thought otherwise but this is simply not true). For this reason) BW are not going to be changing the game to accommodate us since there is no bug and we are a tiny part of their overall player/subscriber number. Oh and they don't have to care; nothing absurd about it - why should they want to be concerned or care about a small minority of the player base? It's not good business.

Like it or not if anyone wants a companion to be a race of their preference in order to keep him/her that way don't play the Eternal Empire or anything after & don't expect anything to change in the future (and that includes Theron - start getting to love that terrible hair). I pity those who customised Corso and Vector - they are not going to be happy. We won't be seeing the Lammia Edition Quinn™ because Iokath is not going to be re-playable and he will remain in his default look.

It may be different in 6.0 because class stories are being considered, but I doubt it. The game has changed to accommodate a different type of player. Those of use who don't like can unsub - BW won't even notice we've gone.

Also [tin foil hat] Seireeni are you a BW employee? :rolleyes:

I sent a PM to Keith about this with pictures to outline what I meant using the various darker skinned & cyborg Quinns. I also followed it up with one about the removal of brown eyes (before there was any mention of a fix). I will not repeat his full reply here, however it was pretty clear he did not care about my view, saw my issue with customisations/eye colour as irrelevant and had zero understanding of why the look of a particular companion customisation is important to me or any other a player. As a result of his reply I am convinced neither Keith or his colleagues give one toss about some of our game preferences, nor the impact personal preference has on our immersion in the story. They have decided to remove our preferred customisations from cutscenes, replace all missing companions with new models and that is that.

I was left with the impression that swtor's staff have altered the game to cater (a) for their personal story preferences and (b) for players who use instant 60+ tokens who will not have played through any of the original class stories / gained the original companions through playing the story. They would only do this if their data suggests the highest number of subscribers comes from the "new" insta-high-level group of players.

Unless they create a "classic" server where anything from KOTFE and beyond does not exist, at the end of my current three month sub I'm probably finished with swtor. It's not so much the lack of action on companion issues; it's their complete lack of acknowledgement that there is a problem - which brings me back to my view that they are catering for a different type of player and the rest of us can eff off.

Any chance you could copy his reply and send it to me? I've been feeling rather irritated with the low quality of the story and the lack of attention to detail in general and I'm wondering just how irritated I should be. I can sympathize with being short staffed, but not with a lack of caring, and lately it feels like we've been suffering from both. They just don't care if they have a good, quality game that players enjoy.

I'm bothered that with all of the numerous bugs plaguing this game, they spent time and effort to re-work the Outfit Designer so we can no longer dye armor that didn't already have a dye slot. I.E. green & blue world drops & crafted armor. Then there is the eye debacle. Why spend time reworking eyes which they then bugged and re-bugged when that intern could have been trying to, I don't know, maybe smooth out some clipping issues or something?

Any chance you could copy his reply and send it to me? I've been feeling rather irritated with the low quality of the story and the lack of attention to detail in general and I'm wondering just how irritated I should be. I can sympathize with being short staffed, but not with a lack of caring, and lately it feels like we've been suffering from both. They just don't care if they have a good, quality game that players enjoy.

I've now deleted his reply because it was so lacking in understanding. Despite the assurances Keith gave us back when he started in the role, his reply has convinced me to lower my expectations regarding any future for this game. But for those who don't really care about story content, I expect it will still be a good game for them.

Heeh just found this, scowly Quinn and bratty Vette. Not sure if it's been posted before but :D

Back on the Quinn track :) This has been posted recently I made a comment about the Elvis style snarl I think.

We need your xxx picture back again ;)

Edited by Sarova

This is an issue because it affects romanced (love interest) companions who we lost through no choice of our own (Quinn/Dorne/Temple) who all returned not as we remember them. There are also issues if you go back to pre-kotfe content with an original companion who has returned they will be default and in their underpants - that issue is a known bug. In my PMs the issue with brown eyes was confirmed as a bug; the issue with racial customisation preferences was not. Something similar would be a same-sex romance with Theron only to find he returns as straight.

The thread that was concerned with customisations was several pages long with many different players posting about this issue so it does affect quite few, however I already pointed (and you have reiterated) out that whilst we are large in number we are not large enough for BW to be concerned with (its like 10000 people out of a million - they can afford that sub loss). I will say again (and in case you missed it your post is agreeing with mine), those of us who are affected are a small a SMALL MINORITY for BW (we have thought otherwise but this is simply not true). For this reason) BW are not going to be changing the game to accommodate us since there is no bug and we are a tiny part of their overall player/subscriber number. Oh and they don't have to care; nothing absurd about it - why should they want to be concerned or care about a small minority of the player base? It's not good business.

Like it or not if anyone wants a companion to be a race of their preference in order to keep him/her that way don't play the Eternal Empire or anything after & don't expect anything to change in the future (and that includes Theron - start getting to love that terrible hair). I pity those who customised Corso and Vector - they are not going to be happy. We won't be seeing the Lammia Edition Quinn™ because Iokath is not going to be re-playable and he will remain in his default look.

It may be different in 6.0 because class stories are being considered, but I doubt it. The game has changed to accommodate a different type of player. Those of use who don't like can unsub - BW won't even notice we've gone.

Also [tin foil hat] Seireeni are you a BW employee? :rolleyes:

No, I tried to offer you a reasonable explanation to why someone might find it difficult to understand why customizations not working in certain cutscenes is a big deal. You instead replied with the generalization of "only people who are new and have not played through the original stories find this to be a minor issue". I'm not new, and I do find it to be a minor issue, so I dislike that generalization more than I dislike generalizations overall -- and I already dislike them quite a lot. So I addressed that.

But sure. I clearly "don't really care about story content" because I don't think that a visual bug that affects only some people should be a priority fix. :rolleyes: And pointing out that the bug you're experiencing has been "working as intended" in other parts of the game and no one gave a rat's backside means I must be a Bioware employee. Oh, and I discovered that while playing the jk storyline for 4th or 5th time -- clearly loathing every minute of it, I guess?