Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I really hate swappable components.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
I really hate swappable components.

MaximilianPower
11.21.2017 , 01:24 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by RickDagles View Post
IMO it's worth picking the T1 Strike just for retro thrusters. The instant shield regen from turbo reactor is nice too.
Sensible, but I was responding to the guy's comment that "you do your main damage against hull with rockets". Dubious premise, but if that's truly his game plan, retros aren't likely to be a major part of the agenda. Blasters are apparently an afterthought, and at least a Pike/Quell gives him more "rockets" to play with.

Zuckerkorn Zuckernaut Spiderzuck Tensorcide Zuck-srw'i
Maximilian Power TøbiasFünke Tryhard Neckbeard MaxPower-srw
Star Forge / Satele Shan / Darth Malgus

Self-Inflicted / Shadowlands Reconnaisance Wing / Retrocide / Imperial Entanglements

RickDagles
11.21.2017 , 02:36 PM | #32
Ah I see. Imagine actual rocket pods on a Starguard

Ramalina
11.22.2017 , 06:15 PM | #33
@Zuck

Thinking about missiles as a primary source of hull damage does make some sense from a lower skilled player's perspective.

People with less experience are notorious for having terrible accuracy with blasters. If they learn how missiles work though, they can become at least modestly proficient fairly quickly even without instruction or using tutorials.

If you're effectively spamming torpedoes or concussions it probably takes on the order of 15% or so accuracy on the scoreboard for something like HLCs at max range to pull even with missile spam. There's also the issue that since the missiles do their hull damage in big chunks, it's very easy to see the hull damage they're doing compared to the smaller amounts per hit from cannons. As a result the perception of how much hull damage the different weapons are doing could be a bit skewed in favor of the missiles.

Seen from there, having two blasters that you don't use effectively isn't much better than having one blaster that you don't use effectively.

All the answers have been coming from people who both know that the maximum damage potential of Primary Weapons is vastly greater than the maximum damage potential from missiles, and have the gunnery skills to take advantage of that difference.

The swap isn't redundant at all, but it's also not an asset until a pilot has developed their shooting skills and tactical knowledge to take advantage of the swap.

It requires a willingness to spend time and effort on improving shooting skills. Plus some experience in matches to get a feel for the timing.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch