Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Previously earned UCs value to be cut in half?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Previously earned UCs value to be cut in half?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Jdast
11.21.2017 , 10:09 AM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by kodrac View Post
Like an idiot for not reading up.
The problem with the whole ... not reading up argument is as follows. And I'm stealing from PennyAnn here from a different thread:

You can only turn in UCs now IF you have the appropriate shells for that SPECIFIC character (ooh, I'm capitalizing random words for no REASON Why? Because I CAN and I still need coffee! ).

Is it likely that some people played characters in certain areas (e.g., Warzones) for the purpose of stacking up UCs before November 28th knowing they would become legacy wide?

The answer is: Yes.

Would they have engaged in such activity if they knew the currency was being devalued so significantly?

The answer is: No.

Now, is it the end of the WORLD (random caps lock)? No. Is it good that BW at least gave some advance notice: Yes.

One can have an opinion on whether or not this is a big deal, which is fine -- but it is not an opinion or judgment that existing UCs are being devalued by 50% -- it is a fact.

Dasty

kodrac
11.21.2017 , 10:22 AM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
One can have an opinion on whether or not this is a big deal, which is fine -- but it is not an opinion or judgment that existing UCs are being devalued by 50% -- it is a fact.
It is? You have yet to prove that by raising cost and income that the current currency is devalued. If it was just the cost then I would agree.
Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
Id find it hard to believe this sort of thing goes on in the preferential treatment forum.

Eli_Porter
11.21.2017 , 10:23 AM | #63
Is that what I said? Now you want to put words into my mouth? Where did I ever say your savings are being halved? Much less deserved? I never did. Remember? But now I see the real crux of the issue. This is less about economics and more about entitlement. I would read the patch notes and buy what I could and go do stuff to get more stuff since my income is doubled. That and it's what you do in a game. But I don't feel sorry for myself either.
Me wanting players to retain the value of their savings rather than get blindsided is not due to a sense of entitlement, it's to help the devs out before they make a mistake that could cost them.

TUXs
11.21.2017 , 10:29 AM | #64

Dasty
Agreed Dasty...and that's where my issue is with this. I have around 750 UCs on my main toon...not a ton, but more than the average I would assume. I've been PvPing on him more than usual because I have a lot of alts who have crap for their left side gear and I was thinking this was a great way to get a jump on outfitting them...in hindsight, it would have been better to just PvE with them to stock up on more and more crates.

I'll live if it's devalued by 50%, but I still feel screwed over by it, and that's my real issue with it...I'm getting screwed AGAIN on something by Bioware. Why screw over anyone? They're doubling the rewards, so why punish those who've been PvPing?

I'm going to again state that gear is NOT the end game for the overwhelming majority of players...gear simply allows us to play our alts in more and more content.

Clearly this is an intentional devaluation of what we've earned...but WHY? What good comes of that? Because it's now Legacy based?

I'm just sick of the "but wait, there's more..." that Bioware has been doing all freaking year.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Jdast
11.21.2017 , 10:30 AM | #65
It is? You have yet to prove that by raising cost and income that the current currency is devalued. If it was just the cost then I would agree.
It is true by definition. The existing UCs will become less capital intensive. It's the reason why it is meaningless to say "I am holding a dollar bill, or a Euro, or Yen."

What matters is the purchasing power of that symbolic piece of currency.

In this case, barring a doubling of UCs, the purchasing power is halved.

Sorry for sounding snotty, but this is Econ 101.

Dasty

TUXs
11.21.2017 , 10:33 AM | #66
It clearly is. If 500 would have gotten you a 248 MH today, it will only get you half of the MH on the 28th.

The only NEW benefit is that they'll be Legacy bound, which does increase their overall value...but they're still worth half of what they were come patch day.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

AlienEyeTX
11.21.2017 , 10:40 AM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
It clearly is. If 500 would have gotten you a 248 MH today, it will only get you half of the MH on the 28th.

The only NEW benefit is that they'll be Legacy bound, which does increase their overall value...but they're still worth half of what they were come patch day.
The point about it being legacy bound should be moot. These were gained by the player's time and effort, not the character's. The only thing that making it legacy now does is allow a character to no longer use the UCs for itself (if chosen). The value of the currency itself is halved. There is no actual value gained by the legacy component... only a perceived value.

Time and effort of the player is what should matter. And I don't hate the change, on it's surface. There is a line that we will all cross. The issue is that not everybody is going to be aware that this is happening and they are the ones who will feel the pain.
You like free stuff, right? Click on this referral link to get yours. I'll get a little something, too. Welcome home. #freethelekku

Joonbeams
11.21.2017 , 10:55 AM | #68
  1. You want an item that costs 40 UCs pre-patch
  2. Pre-patch, you have 20 UCs
  3. Patch is released and now the item costs 80 UCs
  4. Your existing 20 UCs post-patch, as point of fact, are worth 50% less

Raising income for post-patch gains, does nothing to address the existing currency.

None of this is hard. There's absolutely no opinion here. This isn't an area where you can just believe whatever ou want. This is math. It's fact.

Foambreaker
11.21.2017 , 10:55 AM | #69
It would really be sad if this happened because the fix, doubling the UCs during the conversion to items, would be so simple; especially since they have already touched the code to do the conversion.

It would literally take less work that this thread took.

Joonbeams
11.21.2017 , 10:56 AM | #70
It is true by definition. The existing UCs will become less capital intensive. It's the reason why it is meaningless to say "I am holding a dollar bill, or a Euro, or Yen."

What matters is the purchasing power of that symbolic piece of currency.

In this case, barring a doubling of UCs, the purchasing power is halved.

Sorry for sounding snotty, but this is Econ 101.

Dasty
It's not snotty, it's basic math...