Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Conquest as a game feature will die for all but the largest guilds

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Conquest as a game feature will die for all but the largest guilds

xordevoreaux
10.06.2017 , 10:15 AM | #1
Once the largest mega-guilds from the 5 east coast us servers converge onto one conquest board, all other guilds can give up on getting onto the boards for the rest of the life of the game.

If you're in a guild that can pull about 2 to 8 m a week on a conquest board, and wind up still there at the end of the week, it's over for you. We're talking about guilds in excess of pulling down 100m a week on the conquest boards competing with one another.

The rest of us will just watch from the sidelines, knowing we can't even hope to get to 10th place on any of the boards no matter which conquest it is or how many planets are out there.
It's over for us.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

Foambreaker
10.06.2017 , 10:19 AM | #2
I've always been in a small guild, this feature was never "for us".

DieAlteHexe
10.06.2017 , 10:21 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Foambreaker View Post
I've always been in a small guild, this feature was never "for us".
Same here.
---------------------------------------------------------------

-- It's the journey, not the destination. --

xordevoreaux
10.06.2017 , 10:23 AM | #4
The loss felt obviously won't be by the tiny tiny guilds that can't muster the points, ever. It's those that are in the running on more or less a regular basis now, getting on the boards, even if it means squeaking by in 10th place, that will just have to stop.

Savej
10.06.2017 , 10:30 AM | #5
Max guild size is 1k characters. With several of them that is a lmiter; they can't get "much" bigger than they currently are.

xordevoreaux
10.06.2017 , 10:33 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Savej View Post
Max guild size is 1k characters. With several of them that is a lmiter; they can't get "much" bigger than they currently are.
Did I ever mention their growth as a factor? It's that in their current state, the combination of all those mega guilds on the conquest boards, the big bulls in the bull pen, capable of what they're able to do right now in conquest, spells the end for the rest of us for conquest.

Savej
10.06.2017 , 10:51 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
Did I ever mention their growth as a factor? It's that in their current state, the combination of all those mega guilds on the conquest boards, the big bulls in the bull pen, capable of what they're able to do right now in conquest, spells the end for the rest of us for conquest.
There are going to be more people running around and looking for guilds: get bigger yourself. There's a cap that means you can catch up if that's your thing.

xordevoreaux
10.06.2017 , 10:54 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Savej View Post
There are going to be more people running around and looking for guilds: get bigger yourself. There's a cap that means you can catch up if that's your thing.
How about the devs making conquest more equitable?

cyrusramsey
10.06.2017 , 11:00 AM | #9
Shortly after the introduction of strongholds and flagships, over three years ago, I had set out to begin unlocking the ship for my tiny, tiny guild. It has a few members that show their face a few times per year, but for the most part it was just two of us.

With buying frameworks from gtn, with crafting the encryptions directly and with earning them via conquest, we did our best to get that ship done with just two people working at it, and the occasional help once or twice a year.

For the first two years, I really needed my partner to get onto the board, but as server population dropped, this last year I'd been able to hit the board solo on certain weeks, without too much trouble. Is that a realistic thing to strive for? Maybe not, but I am terribly relieved that as of last month we're done, because yeah, there'd be absolutely no way to fight for the board again with one or two players, soon.

Conquest is not for most small guilds, it's certainly not for every large guild either, but on many servers you could do things without a large guild if you wanted to and planned for it. That certainly won't be the case anymore.

The announcement calls it "more fierce competition". I guess. It will become a lot less inclusive, though.
#alts

Draqsko
10.06.2017 , 11:06 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
How about the devs making conquest more equitable?
What do you propose that wouldn't inadvertently punish a big guild for simply being big while still somehow being equitable on a player level? If you actually stop and think about the problem and the various angles I'm sure you'll see there is no simple solution.