Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please re-think taking away some of our decorations in the server merge?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Please re-think taking away some of our decorations in the server merge?

Ratajack
10.05.2017 , 10:13 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
The way you can know that Bioware has no tracking data on the source of what gets put into someone's decoration legacy (GTN, CM, or gifted) is how things get into the legacy. It's an icon that you click in your inventory. There is nothing on the tooltip that says "gifted from a friend" or "bought of the GTN" or "bought from the cartel market".

It's a token, and the programming that consumes the token and increases the count of the item in the player's legacy isn't keeping a separate list somewhere of how that token came to be in the player's inventory prior to being consumed.
I think everyone understands how it works now. Unfortunately, server merges were not likely a consideration when decorations were introduced.

Can we at least agree that BW should be honest and not only change the FAQ (trying to slide it in under the radar) , but make a definitive and "loud" statement (effectively shouting it from the rooftops) to advise everyone that they were "mistaken" and every player may, and likely WILL, lose some, or many, decorations, possibly including very expensive and rare decorations?

xordevoreaux
10.05.2017 , 10:14 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
I think everyone understands how it works now. Unfortunately, server merges were not likely a consideration when decorations were introduced.

Can we at least agree that BW should be honest and not only change the FAQ (trying to slide it in under the radar) , but make a definitive and "loud" statement (effectively shouting it from the rooftops) to advise everyone that they were "mistaken" and every player may, and likely WILL, lose some, or many, decorations, possibly including very expensive and rare decorations?
They did:
Quote:
It is possible that you may end up with more decorations placed than you own after the update. If this happens, you cannot place any more of that decoration until you go below your owned value.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

Ratajack
10.05.2017 , 10:24 AM | #23
They did:
IMO, that would address the issue of "copied" decorations being placed in multiple strongholds across multiple servers, but NOT the potential for having legitimately obtained decorations taken away.

At the very least, this statement:

"Decorations are not impacted by the United Forces update."

is blatantly untrue.

I wonder if people who refuse to acknowledge this issue (effectively saying "too bad, so sad, sucks to be you) are afraid that if BW acknowledges this issue, that they may postpone serer merges or that there would be a massive loss of support for those merges.

xordevoreaux
10.05.2017 , 10:27 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
IMO, that would address the issue of "copied" decorations being placed in multiple strongholds across multiple servers, but NOT the potential for having legitimately obtained decorations taken away.

I wonder if people who refuse to acknowledge this issue (effectively saying "too bad, so sad, sucks to be you) are afraid that if BW acknowledges this issue, that they may postpone serer merges or that there would be a massive loss of support for those merges?
Simply acknowledging that Bioware has no way to suss out the difference between how a player acquired a deco token prior to consuming that token for their legacy (gifted, GTN, CM) and subsequently acknowledging therefore that Bioware lacks the tools to protect all decorations under all circumstances, and, as much as I'd like to be swimming in decorations after the fact, Bioware sure as heck isn't going to write down future revenue by making the merge additive.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

Ratajack
10.05.2017 , 10:41 AM | #25
Simply acknowledging that Bioware has no way to suss out the difference between how a player acquired a deco token prior to consuming that token for their legacy (gifted, GTN, CM) and subsequently acknowledging therefore that Bioware lacks the tools to protect all decorations under all circumstances, and, as much as I'd like to be swimming in decorations after the fact, Bioware sure as heck isn't going to write down future revenue by making the merge additive.
I do not think that anyone has asked that they make decorations additive. I know I have not.

I do, however, ask (and EXPECT) that BW be completely honest and not try to slip something in "under the radar".

As another poster noted, this issue may very well have been something that no one considered since up to now and not a deliberate decision to be "less than honest". I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

If they cannot find some way to ensure that NO legitimately obtained decorations are lost, then they should, IMO, not only change the FAQ to remove the blatant untruth of "Decorations are not impacted by the United Forces update.", they should also "shout it from the rooftops" ( a stickied thread with a title like: "IMPORTANT UPDATE server merge and the potential loss of decorations" would work), so that every player can be advised that they may, and likely WILL, lose some, if not many, decorations, possibly including very expensive and rare decorations.

winterjane
10.06.2017 , 08:32 AM | #26
OP here - just wanted to thank everyone who has taken the time and trouble to reply. I do understand better now that there is some rhyme and reason involved, whereas before I didn't (the only server transfer I ever experienced up to now was when Trask Ulgo was forced to merge with Progenitor, and Strongholds were not ofc an issue back in those ancient days!).

Although I still feel that the effect being forced on people is unfun and unfair, at least it no longer feels like a rather random bit of meanness/thoughtlessness - and I find that helpful. So thanks all
"If men had postponed the search for knowledge and beauty until they were secure, the search would never have begun. - C.S. Lewis

winterjane
10.06.2017 , 08:38 AM | #27
Today , 02:32 PM | #26

OP here - just wanted to thank everyone who has taken the time and trouble to reply. I do understand better now that there is some rhyme and reason involved, whereas before I didn't (the only server transfer I ever experienced up to now was when Trask Ulgo was forced to merge with Progenitor, and Strongholds were not ofc an issue back in those ancient days!).

Although I still feel that the effect being forced on people is unfun and unfair, - and definitely agree with others that Bioware could have been a lot clearer about this - at least it no longer feels like a rather random bit of meanness/thoughtlessness - and I find that helpful. So thanks all
"If men had postponed the search for knowledge and beauty until they were secure, the search would never have begun. - C.S. Lewis

winterjane
10.06.2017 , 10:12 AM | #28
One follow-up question, with apologies in advance if I am again being thick. The game already tracks the number of decoration *unlocks*, which is displayed as 'you have unlocked X/100' of any given decoration. I'm unclear why the number of unlocks cannot be used to easily show how many items you 'should' possess. Unless the game doesn't distinguish between unlocking an item (clicking on an unbound one) and 'copying it'?

Ratajack
10.06.2017 , 10:45 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by winterjane View Post
One follow-up question, with apologies in advance if I am again being thick. The game already tracks the number of decoration *unlocks*, which is displayed as 'you have unlocked X/100' of any given decoration. I'm unclear why the number of unlocks cannot be used to easily show how many items you 'should' possess. Unless the game doesn't distinguish between unlocking an item (clicking on an unbound one) and 'copying it'?
The game does not note how the "unlock" was obtained, whether it was legitimate or "copied", unfortunately.

As an example, Johnny has 20 basic chairs "unlocked" on server 1 and 2 basic chairs "unlocked" on server 2. If he transfers a character from server 1 to server 2, he will have 20 basic chairs "unlocked" on server 2, although 18 of those "unlocks" are only copies.

IoNonSoEVero
10.08.2017 , 01:33 PM | #30
Honestly curious - are there many decorations that would actually be affected by this? I went back and looked at what I have in my own inventory. It seems like you're allowed to own up to 999 copies of a decoration. I have several GTN kiosks on the same server so that doesn't seem to be an issue either. What decorations have much stricter limits?