Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Post-merger QoL ideas (RP. solo. anyone)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Post-merger QoL ideas (RP. solo. anyone)

IoNonSoEVero
10.04.2017 , 12:26 PM | #1
I am personally currently trying to speed several characters through the class stories and get any and all open-world missions done; I'm also trying to grind my 70s through the daily areas where I'm not yet at Legend rep because I anticipate they will be completely unpleasant to play after the merger. It, and some of the threads here, have gotten me thinking about what could be done to make a much more crowded server a livable experience for solo/RPers/anyone who just wants to play their game and be left in peace to do so.

I know there are those who will inevitably respond with the usual "It's an MMO!" "just press ignore!" and "deal with it!" comments, but the intent here is to present tangible, constructive possible QoL improvements that will benefit all players, not to get into that tired fight again.

1. Legacy/Account-wide Ignore. When you ignore someone, they can and often do just return with one alt after the next to keep harassing you. An 'ignore' function that would allow you to ignore all PCs in a specific account or legacy would address this, and it's been requested for some time.

2. Ignore means Ignore. When you ignore someone, they shouldn't be able to continue harassment with emote spam, throwing snowballs and AoE annoyances, etc. When someone is on 'ignore' they should be blocked from interacting with you in any way.

3. Auto-decline for duels. We already have this for guilds, trades and groups. Why not duel requests? It would deal with the people who think it's fun to send eight or nine rapid requests in a row to a person who has already said 'no.'

4. Larger 'ignore' list. Sad that it's needed, but it might be, especially for RPers. Legacy/account-wide ignore would cut down on the need for this.

5. More instanced areas. There are several heroics and open areas that are in enclosed areas like buildings that could be behind a green curtain. People have been complaining about 'Possessed Hunter' and a few others for years. It's not going to get better now, and grouping won't help because you will now have several groups trying to fight it out for objectives instead of several single players.

6. Shorter respawn times on mobs and clickable mission objectives in open areas

7. 'Always lit' mission objectives. In other words, if you ninja me during a battle and click my objective, it won't matter because I won't need to wait at all for it to respawn. I can just immediately click it, too, because it's still lit. This admittedly won't work for everything, but for items like wall panels, crates that don't blow up, etc, it would seem like a way to cut down on ninja-ing.

Ten PCs can click on a quest giver NPC without waiting in line or for a respawn. Why not use the same concept on the mission objects?

8. RPG safe space. Already being discussed elsewhere.

9. Toggle to hide others' companions. At the most basic level, simply because when you're in an open area it can get confusing to see all these companions running around, especially if they're exactly the same as yours. In a group situation you need to know where people's companions are, and in RP they might be involved, but on a PvE instance playing solo, you don't necessarily want or need to see them - so a toggle would help.

daveOreally
10.04.2017 , 02:22 PM | #2
Love the companion idea.

BRKMSN
10.04.2017 , 07:23 PM | #3
6 and 7 are things they really need to do to cut down on frustration and needless waiting. I'm hoping those are some of the QoL improvements they are planning that they haven't really gone in detail about yet.

As for the ignore stuff ... Personally, I have always been and will always be against the idea of being able to ignore a player's entire legacy. I prefer to respect player anonymity and don't want people to have a way to exploit a feature that could give away a player's identity even when he isn't causing problems. Another potential problem is (I personally have never needed to use the ignore feature, btw) one time I accidentally put a good friend on ignore by clicking on the name in chat during a conversation. That friend had to tell me on another toon to take them off ignore. A legacy ignore would prevent that. While there are definitely people out there that can't take a hint, most people the average player would put on ignore, probably aren't personally attacking the other player as much as just being annoying in chat. So their other toons are hardly a concern. Some day you may be in a queue on an alt and that annoying person in chat you ignored also on an alt and group for a pleasant FP or Op run with no incidents. Had their legacy been on ignore, your GF queue could have been much longer or you could have possibly been grouped with a worse player that led to content difficulties.

I'm all for an "import" feature where ... let's say you have 150 people on your list on your main character and you want that list on all characters. That could be done like our key-binding import feature. That would help people with problems and would respect anonymity.

I support the idea that ignore should include all forms of communication including emotes. Also longer ignore lists where banned /deleted characters (like credit-spammers) would automatically be removed.

IoNonSoEVero
10.04.2017 , 11:05 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by BRKMSN View Post
6 and 7 are things they really need to do to cut down on frustration and needless waiting. I'm hoping those are some of the QoL improvements they are planning that they haven't really gone in detail about yet.

As for the ignore stuff ... Personally, I have always been and will always be against the idea of being able to ignore a player's entire legacy. I prefer to respect player anonymity and don't want people to have a way to exploit a feature that could give away a player's identity even when he isn't causing problems.
I actually agree with you that a ban or ignore feature should never be constructed in such a way that it reveals someone's identity. Privacy is very important in this day and age, and if an ignore feature that allowed one to identify a Legacy name would certainly be exploited, unfortunately.

What about one that did *not* actually identify the Legacy? For instance, let's say (random player name) is bothering me on the Fleet and won't back off. I could type in an "ignore all (random player name)" command and it would apply to all the characters in (random player name)'s Legacy, without letting me know what that Legacy is, or what those other character names are. That would be how I envision an Ignore Legacy command to work -

The thing about players being harassed by one alt after another is unfortunately a thing, especially with RPers in the Fleet.There are people who have commented in the past that they have been harassed for literally hours until they were driven to log out. What would be another way to address it, if not a Legacy ignore (not being contrary - just brainstorming)?

SteveTheCynic
10.05.2017 , 02:45 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
What about one that did *not* actually identify the Legacy? For instance, let's say (random player name) is bothering me on the Fleet and won't back off. I could type in an "ignore all (random player name)" command and it would apply to all the characters in (random player name)'s Legacy, without letting me know what that Legacy is, or what those other character names are. That would be how I envision an Ignore Legacy command to work -
And the ignore list would say, "Random Character and legacy", to continue the "hiding" aspect.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

BRKMSN
10.05.2017 , 06:14 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
I actually agree with you that a ban or ignore feature should never be constructed in such a way that it reveals someone's identity. Privacy is very important in this day and age, and if an ignore feature that allowed one to identify a Legacy name would certainly be exploited, unfortunately.

The thing about players being harassed by one alt after another is unfortunately a thing, especially with RPers in the Fleet.There are people who have commented in the past that they have been harassed for literally hours until they were driven to log out. What would be another way to address it, if not a Legacy ignore (not being contrary - just brainstorming)?
Think of it this way ...

A player with no players on his ignore list sees a discussion in general chat. He suspects that one of the players in chat belongs to someone he knows. He could then add the name of the character he knows to his ignore list and if the discussion continues in general chat but the new player name disappears from the discussion, this player just figured out who that alt belongs to.

It's not so much that our ignore list itself would identify players, but that the feature could be used to do so.

jamoup
10.05.2017 , 06:15 AM | #7
I like these ideas. Clickies with timers are always an issue, i'd love to see that addressed. The hide companion idea is great. not just to declutter but to prevent spoilers! I'm busy fighting against someone and see another player running around with him as a companion. Annoying!
Too much QQ and not enough Pew Pew.