Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Taung as a future Cartel Species!

Terin
12.05.2012 , 08:12 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by althene View Post
I don't disagree with you at all since I've played through the BH storyline twice now (and at least one more is on the horizon since I started over on PvE servers). But seeing anything at all is more likely the less work there is in making it happen. And by work, I actually mean "money thrown at it". To do a completely new story, with all the voice acting and cutscenes would be a monumental task for the new EAWare. They just downsized and are looking at ways to prop up a title that has a ton of potential, but currently lies floundering. Throwing that much money at the game at this stage would be a bad idea from every angle.

Now, this leaves the arguement of "I'd rather see it done right that see a halfassed attempt at hooking people", but let's face it, without many people are replaying the same AC for the story. They've already seen it. They just want to do things differently while retaining their comfort level with the class.

As a whole, I'd love nothing more than to see them crack open the coffers and go broke feeding us story arc after story arc. But realistically, I want to see more options. 8 stories with 16 classes seems like a lot, but when you boil it down, its really only 8 stories with 8 classes, since they mirror each other in all but name and possible weapon choice. Add in an additional AC for each class that ISN'T mirrored, and I think things could get very interesting. It might be more of a headache on the ballance side of things, but stirring things up might just be what the game needs right now.
The problem is, they *have* to be mirrored, otherwise it dramatically impacts the PvP scenario. As well, giving an AC to one Class means they have to with the other 3 archetypes, as well. On that level, a new Class only involves two AC's.

I do get what you mean, in that it's cheaper because it doesn't involve new Story or Dialogue, which is definitely a valid point. I think at that point, it simply becomes a question of "Which do they stand to gain more"?

I can't speak for anybody else, but I personally don't find the thought of new AC's for existing Classes to be particularly exciting, and certainly not enough that I would want to purchase one. In fact, they'd be hard-pressed to get me to play one up even if it was free, unless it was some kind of "Prestige/New Game+" kind of deal, where you re-leveled an existing character as some kind of "Ultimate AC".

Which, in all honesty, maybe isn't the worse idea. If Jedi Knights could break free of the shacked of Guardian or Sentinel as a "Jedi Master", becoming more well-rounded duelists capable of wielding any lightsaber-type, or if a Bounty Hunter could finally pick up a Blaster Rifle (or even Assault Cannon) as a Mandalorian, I would totally replay the game. It would get older plays using older content again, while giving new players a larger pool of similarly-leveled players to interact with.

Either way, whether we're talking new Classes, or simply new AC's, that's a long ways off! The possible addition of the Taung, however, it something I could maybe see happening in just a few months, if BioWare/EA decided they were interested. My worry is that, if the Cathar sell poorly, then they'll just scrap the idea entirely. The problem being that, personally, I just don't see the appeal of the Cathar. Maybe it's just because I don't know much about Star Wars Lore, but my only exposure to the Cathar was through Aric, who I absolutely despise.

althene
12.05.2012 , 08:54 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Terin View Post

[snip]

Either way, whether we're talking new Classes, or simply new AC's, that's a long ways off! The possible addition of the Taung, however, it something I could maybe see happening in just a few months, if BioWare/EA decided they were interested. My worry is that, if the Cathar sell poorly, then they'll just scrap the idea entirely. The problem being that, personally, I just don't see the appeal of the Cathar. Maybe it's just because I don't know much about Star Wars Lore, but my only exposure to the Cathar was through Aric, who I absolutely despise.
Realistically speaking, new classes can be rolled out just about every month IF they use existing story arcs and IF they use the same animations. Both of those require extensive time to develop and implement. I'm not saying the end results would be pretty, just that it's as easy as cut and paste. I do agree it'll be a bit down the road, and I'm happy for that. They have a lot more things to be working on right now.

As far as Cathar in the game go, Aric isn't the only one you will have encountered. There's the Cathar that blackmails you with the medicine she stole on Ord Mantell right off the bat. There's also a Cathar pirate you cross paths with later. Bounty hunters run into a Cathar hunter on one of their quests and, surprise, they want to kill you too. They mostly appear to be the "Gypsy" type for SWTOR. And who doesn't like cat-gypsy-things, right?

There are a lot of Cathar in the game, just most want to kill you or are fairly 2 dimensional. Not only that, they're hard to spot due to the fact most just look like bald humans. We'll have to see what character creation options are available when they drop, but I'm going to bet they're gonna skimp on options.

chlds
01.04.2016 , 03:49 AM | #23
I agree this would be a good idea and Bioware could do a Resurrection like what they did with Sith Purebloods for the Taung.

Vogtner
10.04.2017 , 07:50 PM | #24
https://prnt.sc/gsxuvl
It's happening Lead Producer Keith?