Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Forced Name Change Questions and Disscussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Forced Name Change Questions and Disscussion

RikuvonDrake
10.04.2017 , 10:06 AM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Dayshadow View Post
Any naming conflict is a conflict Bioware is creating themselves.
Yes, because players have asked for server merges for a long time, it's a conflict sure, but their system to solve it with subscribers and players who have invested time into their characters getting priority is both a fair and reasonable system to use to solve these conflicts. Sadly, some will lose their names but it's impossible to make everyone happy, at least with this solution, the vast majority of people are happy.

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse - Darth Malgus

Transcendent
10.04.2017 , 10:19 AM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by MWM_NoVaCaNe View Post
I agree they should have a record of a paid name change and if a player who paid for a name change is required to change their name cartel coins should be refunded.
100% in agreement. If someone has paid to change their name (or even legacy name / guild name) then anyone impacted by the name changes in that instance should be refunded cartel coins spent on those name changes.

Thanks to everyone who has used my Refer a Friend link over the years, may the force be with you.

jamoup
10.04.2017 , 11:55 AM | #53
I lost some names when Corellian Run became Shadowlands. It was tough. I think at that time however, players on the shadowlands got preference over us since we merged into them. This merge will be different, so that is a plus.

My main question is: If we both have the same name on different servers that are about to merge. We both initially subbed the same day. You made the character a day before me then took a 2 year break before re-subbing. Do you get the name because you made him first? Or do I since i've been a sub a longer total time?

Oy, the headaches!

I suppose I could always re-name <character_name> (space) <legacy name> and just turn "display legacy name" off...
Too much QQ and not enough Pew Pew.

Lundorff
10.04.2017 , 01:02 PM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by jamoup View Post
My main question is: If we both have the same name on different servers that are about to merge. We both initially subbed the same day. You made the character a day before me then took a 2 year break before re-subbing. Do you get the name because you made him first? Or do I since i've been a sub a longer total time?
They are talking about time spend on the character, not level or who created it first.

Tsillah
10.04.2017 , 01:05 PM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by Lundorff View Post
They are talking about time spend on the character, not level or who created it first.
Actually this came up in the livestream and they are rather secretive about how they're doing it exactly. Time played is a factor but I wouldn't take that as straightforward as you make it sound. They definitely indicated that they weren't going to explain exactly how it was done to avoid people abusing that knowledge.
Don't freak out, I'm just here by the grace of a referal. Nothing more.

Tsillah
10.04.2017 , 01:10 PM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
100% in agreement. If someone has paid to change their name (or even legacy name / guild name) then anyone impacted by the name changes in that instance should be refunded cartel coins spent on those name changes.
I think you will find that in the legal discussion about refunds that the service you buy with a name change is not the new name but the ability to change the name.

Names are governed by the same principles, meaning there can be only of the same name on a server. After server merges you'll get a free name change to make up for losing your name if you lose it. But you never owned that name in the first place.

It's not nice when you're the one losing the name. I get that. I fear it also. But don't think that name changes buy you a name. They buy you a name change. And that is something different.

DWho
10.04.2017 , 01:17 PM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by RikuvonDrake View Post
Yes, because players have asked for server merges for a long time, it's a conflict sure, but their system to solve it with subscribers and players who have invested time into their characters getting priority is both a fair and reasonable system to use to solve these conflicts. Sadly, some will lose their names but it's impossible to make everyone happy, at least with this solution, the vast majority of people are happy.
Personally, I think name retention should be ranked based on how long you have continuously subbed for the game. It rewards the players that have stuck with the game through thick and thin. It also penalizes those who have been back for a short period and then left again who have little invested in the game. There are probably very few who have been around since launch but that is a huge investment and they should get something more for it than a decoration to put in their strongholds.

I really don't think someone who subs the day before the merger should have any advantage over someone who is F2P or preferred, especially since in all likelihood those people would cancel their subscription shortly after getting their "name"

I would rank it like this (after whatever name purge criteria is set, but anyone currently subbed should not be purged regardless of whether they have played in the last 3 months or the level of their character):

1) longest continuous sub
2) longest total sub (non-continuous)
3) most accumulated play time (by character) regardless of status

DWho
10.04.2017 , 01:20 PM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
I think you will find that in the legal discussion about refunds that the service you buy with a name change is not the new name but the ability to change the name.

Names are governed by the same principles, meaning there can be only of the same name on a server. After server merges you'll get a free name change to make up for losing your name if you lose it. But you never owned that name in the first place.

It's not nice when you're the one losing the name. I get that. I fear it also. But don't think that name changes buy you a name. They buy you a name change. And that is something different.
It also starts a slippery slope. What about the people who paid for legacy perks with CCs on different servers and have duplicates in their legacies? Should they get refunds too. What about recent server transfers, should they be refunded? Bioware has to draw the line somewhere.

Transcendent
10.04.2017 , 01:58 PM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post

I'm no legal expert, so I'll defer to legal experts

I may well find out about the name change thing myself, I specifically moved some characters over to one of the other servers being merged into Darth Malgus, purely to take advantage of the forced rename. Prior to doing this I created a level 1 character on the destination server to force that rename, sadly one of the characters I was going to move over is already on the destination server. It'll be interesting to see who loses the name, considering it was made during DvL on that very server, and moved to my origin server with various loot (like the DvL armour set). I also use that character frequently for GTN sales, so it is active.

I'm actually hoping I lose the name, I want to rename it without paying the insanely stupid Cartel Coin prices BioWare charge. I'm convinced the Cartel Market team are worse than credit sellers with their pricing models.

Thanks to everyone who has used my Refer a Friend link over the years, may the force be with you.

Tsillah
10.04.2017 , 02:07 PM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by Dayshadow View Post
So you're saying if you bought a suit of armor on the Cartel and they just decided to remove it from the game you'd be cool? It's the same thing. You paid for it specifically. I don't recall any stipulation in the CM about, "You're just buying this for the time being. We can take it back anytime after tomorrow".

Any naming conflict is a conflict Bioware is creating themselves.
Your name as an entity is not removed it's changed. Pretty sure they have made changes to cartel armours before and not everybody liked them, but people didn't get their money back for that either.

You will find that once the game shuts down eventually, you do not get to keep anything. A single player game, you keep on your PC with everything you got on it. Even if the company stops with it. I have for example a game called Sacred 2. The company who made it doesn't even exist anymore. I still own the game though and I can still play it with the expansions I bought.

With this game, as soon as it stops you have nothing, because you don't own any of it.