Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Command crate lv 70 gear upgrade?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Command crate lv 70 gear upgrade?

Mashugana
10.01.2017 , 09:24 AM | #1
My DPS Sorcerer is now level 70 and earning Command Crates. What is the upgrade gear that I should be looking for? Is the next step the blue gear with stats? Or am I looking for specific named adaptive gear with 230 mods in it?

I am not sure what to beg the RNG gods for

Thanks.

ElleSheepy
10.01.2017 , 08:32 PM | #2
It depends on your style, but assuming you are already 220 or 228 I'd say you should aim for the golds. Blues are a waste of time; at least aim for purple if you want to upgrade frequently. If you augment your golds, I think it is acceptable to skip all purples until tier 4, where gold drop is very rare.

All the gear you get from crates are moddable (except ear/implant/relic), so if you get a duplicate gold armor/weapon/offhand, you can rip the mod and enhancement off it and put it onto other gear, to partially upgrade them.

Also note that you may want to keep your tier 3 golds when you retire them, because there is a less RNG dependent way to upgrade to Tier 4:

1. Play (lots of) pvp and gsf to get "unassembled components"

2. Put the gold in inventory, pay components to "unassembled token" vendor on the fleet to upgrade it to "unassembled piece" of next tier (i.e. Tier 3 gold to Tier 4 piece)

3. Bring them to the "Tier 4 Equipment" vendor, pay command tokens to get the EXACT tier 4 gold gear you want. Esp. useful for the last few tier 4 pieces that you seem to never get after hundreds and hundreds of crates.
🐑 🐑 🐑 Seer Sage "Elle" @ Satele Shan (ref key) 🐑 🐑 🐑
Guides: Balance Sage | Madness Sorc | Star Parse Quick Guide | Seer force management | Sage tips

SeCKSEgai
10.01.2017 , 10:10 PM | #3
It depends on how much grinding you really plan to do - gear level starts out at 230 and maxes out at 248.

236 are the first "gold" tier and has the potential to be upgraded (gold tier) to 242s through pvp-earned components.

After having grinded two characters to full 248 I have absolutely no desire to grind out another. Both took copious amounts of pve/pvp to acquire said gear, much more than I normally would do on any one character.

I'd usually have at least two full sets of 246 before getting near finishing the 248s, and that's with upgrading from iokath tier as needed - and both characters got several duplicates instead of actual needed gear.
Riyn - Maryss - Rlnd - Mony - Retrocide - Reiy

Rlentless - Reyn - Rlad - Ttiana

Mashugana
10.02.2017 , 06:32 AM | #4
Thank you! So I should look at the mods in each piece I get. If it has 230 or higher I should keep it - either to wear or to rip out the mods. Anything else I just keep for cosmetic purposes.

Thanks you - that really helps

PS: My playstyle is very casual. I am not an end-game person. I just want to make sure I keep the good stuff when I level a command level. Basically its just to make doing lowbie PvE stuff (farming heroics, old stories on hard mode, etc) easier.

Thank you again.

JediQuaker
10.02.2017 , 08:14 AM | #5
Keep in mind that any gear you get only requires level 70, so you can pass it on to your level 70 alts. From command crates I've gotten so far (CL 295 as of yesterday) I've managed to outfit all 6 of my main alts/crafters with mostly 240 gear and some 236s and 238s (minus earpieces, implants or relics). (My main is half 240s (purple) and half 242s.)
If you don't have any level 70 alts, you could consider keeping some extra 236, 238, 240s in storage for future level 70s.

P.S. My 242s have come from command crates - not PvP or Ops.

Mashugana
10.02.2017 , 09:23 AM | #6
Awesome! Thank you

Greennightlight
10.03.2017 , 12:00 PM | #7
all above comments are good and true, if I have one thing to add. If you like set bonuses look for the higher MK-# sets. of course stage 3 will be your best set bonus but I'm to understand that some ops still have better gear for set bonuses. So if you like your adaptive gear the way it is and just want to patchwork the mods in (as I am doing currently) or collect set pieces from crates... I've gotten 4/6 within two days. Eternal Commander MK-3, and the bonuses aren't terrible.
For rewards try this referral! wise it is, to use! http://www.swtor.com/r/yfg972

JediQuaker
10.04.2017 , 09:13 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Greennightlight View Post
If you like set bonuses look for the higher MK-# sets. .
As I've gone up in command level, and gotten gear from command crates, I've noticed that the set bonuses are mix & match.
The set bonus is tied to the armoring and can be removed and placed in any mod-able gear. The armorings with set bonus all seem to be either purple or gold.

I started with some 230 purple "bonus" pieces. As I got more crates, I could add 240 and 246 purple armorings and 236 and 242 gold armorings while still retaining the same set bonus. At present I have 2x 240, 3x 242, and 1x 246 which all contribute to the same bonus. (I have one 244 blue piece that doesn't contribute, for stat reasons.)

In other words, the set bonus does not require that all pieces come from the same set.

EDIT - I've discovered that the 244 blues also are part of the set bonus. So, I now have 1x 242, 3x 244, 1x 246, and 2x 240.

SteveTheCynic
10.04.2017 , 10:22 AM | #9
Set bonuses come from:
* Tier 1 MK-3 purple (230). ("Eternal Commander")
* Tier 2 MK-13 purple (234) and MK-15 gold (236). ("Eternal Commander")
* Tier 3 MK-3 purple (240) and MK-5 gold (242). ("Iokath")
* Tier 4 MK-2 orange-with-blue-mods (244), MK-3 purple (246) and MK-5 gold (248) ("GEMINI")

Tier 1 = GC 1-89
Tier 2 = GC 90-179
Tier 3 = GC 180-299
Tier 4 = GC 300 (the rank doesn't increase when the bar fills, but you do get a crate).

MK-4 and MK-14 are crafted fixed-stats purples with more Endurance and less Mastery and Power than the corresponding MK-3 and MK-13 sets. They don't drop directly, but as schematics for rank 600 crafting skills.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.