Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Forced Name Change Questions and Disscussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Forced Name Change Questions and Disscussion

Tahana
10.03.2017 , 02:46 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Zaphkiel View Post
I have had my original character of Zaphkiel since day one of early access.
Same with me.. I figured out since then not to use character names as forum names.. Cause people will steal them and use them.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to
what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson -

aerockyul
10.03.2017 , 05:15 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by MandFlurry View Post
The good, the bad and the ugly. Names are just 1 of the many problems with Servers merging.

I feel terrible for the RP'ers, because they are not going to stay subbed, but only a few that can stand being made fun of. No i'm not a RP'er, but 20 years ago and in SWG i did a little bit, until it got too serious. But Not having an RP server and an only PvP server is bad. Instances don't work the way people think, it not the same.

As for names, if anyone takes mine i'll kill them lol. or i can to the characters named family for a vote, but i doubt me or anyone lse would really qualify bearing such a great name.
Final tiebreaker--dueling 1v1
Keeya, Lill'ya, Odessis, Vaisis, Mura Saki, HitessaJaista, Altheeka, Ayasi, Dunheiress
Kahntara, Kaytee'roxx Eko'va, Namie Amuro, Misphire Portrait Gallery
Satele Shan ReferralsProud Ashara...ite? Asharan? Team Ashara!

Amantionus
10.03.2017 , 08:28 PM | #43
I used to be seriously into RP (not here mind you). D&D, VtM, VDA, WtA, DtA and even took it online to the MUDs back in the day. The thing was, in all those pen and paper RPGs and even on the MUDs they were there just for RP. Only those interested in RP were playing them. I am not sure just how well mixing the PvE, PvP and RP crowds in larger numbers will really work. Me personally, I wouldn't intentionally interrupt someone's RP, everyone has their thing and I believe that with few exceptions, everyone should do their own thing. But there are people out there that would likely try to bother those they view as different. Hopefully that will not happen much and there will be means in place to curtail such behavior if needed.
"Caesar non supra grammaticos"

Rosiells
10.03.2017 , 09:08 PM | #44
So sad about the name merging; I have a character in each class (well except smuggler) on Harbinger & I liked my characters so much that I decided to hop to a new server and replay the characters as different classes- I call them my 'AU Crew'
I hopped servers so that I could keep all their names... but I happened to hop to Begeren Colony. So, I have pretty unusual names and wouldn't usually need to worry except I'm gonna be fighting myself for those names lmao
It's not the end of the world; my characters are way more than just their names & if I have to spell them slightly differently then who cares? But it does make me sad that the whole reason I hopped servers has now been nullified & it feels like I've been playing on a dead server for nothing

Lundorff
10.04.2017 , 03:12 AM | #45
I am willing to wager that no one have spend more time on character names in this game than me. I have been maxed out globally for a long time, and I have take unconventionally methods in use to secure and transfer character names across servers for years. As such I have some very iconic names on TRE, and my investigation reveals I might lose several of them with the merger, as Prog and Tomb might have more active players with those names. Of all the silly things to fret about losing these names might be the final nail that breaks the camels back for me.

Dayshadow
10.04.2017 , 06:13 AM | #46
So if you ever paid for a name change are they going to refund you?
SWTOR gameplay edited like a television series

Pietrastor
10.04.2017 , 06:19 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Lundorff View Post
I am willing to wager that no one have spend more time on character names in this game than me. I have been maxed out globally for a long time, and I have take unconventionally methods in use to secure and transfer character names across servers for years. As such I have some very iconic names on TRE, and my investigation reveals I might lose several of them with the merger, as Prog and Tomb might have more active players with those names. Of all the silly things to fret about losing these names might be the final nail that breaks the camels back for me.
Well, to be honest. If you picked unbelieveably common and basic names like John or Sarah then yeah, I can imagine several other players across Euro servers having high playtime with characters like that...
My referral link (7 days sub free) - http://www.swtor.com/r/fK5gsH

Tsillah
10.04.2017 , 06:31 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Dayshadow View Post
So if you ever paid for a name change are they going to refund you?
Why would they?

The name change is a service that allows you to change the name you have at any give time. The name change service doesn't include protection for your name. The protection of your name is governed by the standard rule that no two names on a server may be the same. In case of server merges this can cause conflicts and so you get a free change if you lose your name due to server merges.

I'm not saying it's nice, but there is no grounds for a refund.
Don't freak out, I'm just here by the grace of a referal. Nothing more.

Tsillah
10.04.2017 , 06:34 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Lundorff View Post
If something is the final straw that breaks the camel's back or is the final nail in your coffin...well, then you're already 99% there. I would suggest that if it just takes one thing to tip you over, you should already stop playing the game really.

Oh and when you do, could you delete all your characters and pm me their names
Don't freak out, I'm just here by the grace of a referal. Nothing more.

Dayshadow
10.04.2017 , 10:04 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
Why would they?

The name change is a service that allows you to change the name you have at any give time. The name change service doesn't include protection for your name. The protection of your name is governed by the standard rule that no two names on a server may be the same. In case of server merges this can cause conflicts and so you get a free change if you lose your name due to server merges.

I'm not saying it's nice, but there is no grounds for a refund.
So you're saying if you bought a suit of armor on the Cartel and they just decided to remove it from the game you'd be cool? It's the same thing. You paid for it specifically. I don't recall any stipulation in the CM about, "You're just buying this for the time being. We can take it back anytime after tomorrow".

Any naming conflict is a conflict Bioware is creating themselves.
SWTOR gameplay edited like a television series