Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

so how do you justify your imperial agent....

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
so how do you justify your imperial agent....

HaoZhao
09.16.2017 , 06:42 AM | #11
The justification I used was self-serving. If I defect to the SIS, who knows that I have done that? Theron Shan doesn't seem to know so it is likely that only Ardun Kothe and his small team know. If the empire beats the republic, I can go on working with the empire as if I had never spoken to Ardun before. If the republic beats the empire, then I'm on the books somewhere as one of the good guys and I get rewarded as if I was on the winning side all along. A sneaky dark side agent would easily come up with plans to play both sides at the same time in order to protect his/her own interests.

It's kind of sad that this entire part of the plot was completely abandoned outside of one little scene at the end of Yavin 4. It didn't even get a mention on Iokath when you're actually asked to defect to the republic for real.

JakRoanin
09.16.2017 , 08:01 AM | #12
I justify it by hating the Sith period.

QueenVictoriaII
09.18.2017 , 06:11 PM | #13
Well, I ended up going the SIS route with my agent. It seemed to fit best, both because of his prior choices and the fact that I put way too much effort into my characters' backstories. So now he's a spy for the Republic! Albeit that he keeps killing Republic people, which bothers me - come on, Bioware, give a little leeway there in cutscenes?

All in all, I think it's pretty justified. It was the Sith who wanted you(r character) brainwashed, and the SIS just used it to make sure they didn't get backstabbed.
hey look a referral link!!

"I became a starship captain so I wouldn't have to do homework."

OldVengeance
09.23.2017 , 04:58 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by QueenVictoriaII View Post
Well, I ended up going the SIS route with my agent. It seemed to fit best, both because of his prior choices and the fact that I put way too much effort into my characters' backstories. So now he's a spy for the Republic! Albeit that he keeps killing Republic people, which bothers me - come on, Bioware, give a little leeway there in cutscenes?

All in all, I think it's pretty justified. It was the Sith who wanted you(r character) brainwashed, and the SIS just used it to make sure they didn't get backstabbed.
And as it turned out, they weren't wrong to be concerned about that. The Agent sees some of the very worst of the Empire in their job. I didn't choose to defect with my Agent but I wouldn't be hard for me to imagine that a LS might be willing switch sides.

Joluka
09.25.2017 , 10:52 PM | #15
Honestly? The rogue agent is the most logical route if you're light sided, not the Republic path, since Kothe is basically telling you to trust him 'just 'cause, I will try to be a good boy now, don't worry. Sorry for brainwashing you, feelsbadman.'
The Conrad Legacy

"I wasn't planning to live forever anyway. I'm in."

OldVengeance
09.26.2017 , 01:31 AM | #16
Well, "rogue" agents still are helping the Empire. They just do so outside the chain of command. Kothe technically didn't brainwash you, the the leaders of the Empire did.

Joluka
09.26.2017 , 03:12 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by OldVengeance View Post
Well, "rogue" agents still are helping the Empire. They just do so outside the chain of command. Kothe technically didn't brainwash you, the the leaders of the Empire did.
No, the Empire *placed* the brainwashing technology in the Agent, Kothe and Hunter did the brainwashing.

And it is because of the rogue Agent being outside of the chain of command that it is the best light side choice. You get to fight for Imperials alone, for their own good and protection under the Sith, without having to jump when the most idiotic Sith says to.
The Conrad Legacy

OldVengeance
09.26.2017 , 03:18 AM | #18
That should still count as the Empire being the one who did the brainwashing. Arden Kothe just co-opted it by stealing the existing codes. The SIS would not have been able to control the Cipher if it wasn't for the Empire programming them in the first place.

Kyrrant
10.03.2017 , 07:34 PM | #19
That should still count as the Empire being the one who did the brainwashing. Arden Kothe just co-opted it by stealing the existing codes. The SIS would not have been able to control the Cipher if it wasn't for the Empire programming them in the first place.
Aye, and it doesn't hurt that Kothe states that he's primarily doing it because he can't be sure you're not secretly an Imperial double-agent.

Which he's, you know, 100% correct about.

Just hard for me to be too pissy about a guy going "Why don't you trust me" when I'm there to stab him in the back >_>.
Begeren Colony RPer
Orell Legacy
(...yes, we do exist...)

Joluka
10.14.2017 , 01:42 AM | #20
I mean yeah, but... The Empire never brainwashed you. They put you in a condition to be brainwashed, yes, but they never did (they didn't have the chance to, and the Minister straight up tells you it would've been the Sith, not Intelligence, who would've done it, anyway, since it was the Sith who feared you).

Don't get me wrong, my agent was still pissed at the Sith for ordering the brainwashing tech into her brain, that's why she went ghost, but she still told Kothe to get lost because despite the fact that she could've killed Chance, and decided to have mercy on him, the douche still mind-raped her. If he hadn't done that after she saved Chance, she would've joined the Republic, no doubt.
The Conrad Legacy