Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Forced Name Change Questions and Disscussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Forced Name Change Questions and Disscussion

Atma
10.02.2017 , 10:06 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Aulus_Claudius View Post
Call me selfish
Alright

MaximusRex
10.03.2017 , 12:55 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by annabethchase View Post
I truly understand the need to merge servers, but do they not realize many of us paid cartel coins for name changes in the past? Many of us have been screwed over twice in past server merges and eventually had to pay for a name change when a space became available. That's real money and should be refunded in the shape of cartel coins.
I was Early Access, and between the 2 forced mergers I went through I literally lost 100% of my names. They shouldn't do server mergers until they fix the system to allow per account unique names instead of per server unique names. Or merge all servers into one so there is no chance of being screwed a fourth time.

SteveTheCynic
10.03.2017 , 05:26 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post
Or merge all servers into one so there is no chance of being screwed a fourth time.
Frankly, if they ever needed to merge regions, the game would be in such deep [REDACTED] that character names would be the least of your worries. Also: in each region/language combination, they *are* merging all servers into one.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

darthscotty
10.03.2017 , 05:39 AM | #24
I have several toons with multiple variations of a popular star wars names. I have resigned myself to not being able to hold onto all of them. It is possible I will hold onto all of them but I am not going to count on it. I already went to other servers I am being merged with to try and make toons with those names and some were taken some were not. I will miss those names, not going to pretend I will be happy about it, I won't but I am not going to quit over it.
Quote: Originally Posted by Babby View Post
We don't tolerate facts around here.

Khaleijo
10.03.2017 , 05:47 AM | #25
While I understand the attachment to ones character names, I really wonder about your names in particular, I have one server merge and later another transfer of my whole legacy behind me and out of around 40 characters there was one I had to rename and that name just was a very common name so not really a surprise.
I get it people like to name their characters after films, books and so on, but then you always have to expect others to like and use that name too.
If you really need your particular name, there still is the possibility to use `΄δόν, something that for me would be worse than a new name, as I would misspell my own characters too often Or with the spaces we are allowed now, something like Kha leijo or Kha'lei'jo in any combination. With a little flexibility there are a lot of possibilities to keep a name even if it's taken in the original form.
If the particular name is the only thing keeping you here, well then it maybe is the time to just move on.

Concerning RP
For my mainly Imperials it would be quite easy to weave a name change into their story, cover identity, nickname vs name on the birth certificate, new title brings a new name, marriage, conversion to another religious cult, just as a few examples.
Freund werben, 7 Tage Probeabo: www.swtor.com/r/GJhHrY

Aulus_Claudius
10.03.2017 , 06:13 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Atma View Post
Alright
I almost deleted that part, but decided to leave it as troll bait. You didn't fail to deliver to hone in on it and ignore a well-thought out post around it. Ah well, thanks for proving my suspicion and giving a good laugh.
Thanks for the gearing changes in 5.1 and 5.2, BioWare - resubbed.

kimiko_tomiyama
10.03.2017 , 06:18 AM | #27
I am somewhat suspect that this question will be answered, here or anywhere, but I do have one concern. Can you finish the rename later or do you HAVE to complete it when you try to play the character? I realize you will need to complete the name change to actually play the character, but if I try to play the character and find out I need a name change, can I cancel out and finish renaming later?

Mubrak
10.03.2017 , 06:35 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Khaleijo View Post
While I understand the attachment to ones character names, I really wonder about your names in particular, I have one server merge and later another transfer of my whole legacy behind me and out of around 40 characters there was one I had to rename and that name just was a very common name so not really a surprise.
Obviously there are fun and polular names a lot of people would like, I have some of those, but I wouldn't unsub over chars I played for maybe 100 hours, just because I was the first to grab that name on my server.

My main really grew on me in the 117 days /played, though. The name itself isn't anything special, but in this case the answer to "what's in a name?" is "everything". The name is taken on the other servers, but being on a high pop server that gets merged with two "dead" ones, I'm confident that the other players don't play anymore or moved to another server and left those chars behind.

If I lose the name, I will first try to bargain, with everything I have to offer, including giving up other names. If that doesn't work, then my time with SWTOR may come to an end, as that char was what kept me playing as a single-player who originally just went slumming in the MMO community, because there was a lack of good RPGs in late 2012. Meanwhile I have accounts and even subs in other MMOs but keep coming back to Swtor, and not really because of stellar story, exciting gameplay or marvelous technology.
Tune down reflections to pre 5.5 values!
Move inventory tabs back to the bottom!
Remove the blue glow from useable stronghold objects and decorations!

Mubrak
10.03.2017 , 06:40 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by kimiko_tomiyama View Post
I am somewhat suspect that this question will be answered, here or anywhere, but I do have one concern. Can you finish the rename later or do you HAVE to complete it when you try to play the character? I realize you will need to complete the name change to actually play the character, but if I try to play the character and find out I need a name change, can I cancel out and finish renaming later?
Most likely it will work like it does after server transfers, and you will already see in the char selection that the char has random letters as a name as well a red sign telling you that you need to pick a new name.
Tune down reflections to pre 5.5 values!
Move inventory tabs back to the bottom!
Remove the blue glow from useable stronghold objects and decorations!

Tahana
10.03.2017 , 07:18 AM | #30
My only question is.. what is going to happen to inactive players and their character names?

Are they going to be put into some vast expanse that contains their data but free up all of their names? I was away from the game for quite a stretch, and while I'm back and an active subscription now I went and checked the servers I'm merging with.. While quite a few of my characters names were available on those servers, they characters that I mainly play are not. So I'm expecting to have to name change to be honest.

Now this in itself doesn't bother me, but when I created a couple of new characters recently I spent over an hour finding names that the system would accept. While I know we can create names with spaces in them, that isn't my preferred naming style. I prefer one name no spaces.

If they did put inactive players into a void and completely free up their names, it would make our lives easier if we do in fact have to rename.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to
what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson -