Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Call For Reason, Patience And Reflection For The Roleplayers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Call For Reason, Patience And Reflection For The Roleplayers

Ylliarus
10.02.2017 , 09:48 PM | #1
I am writing this to all roleplayers out there who are disheartened and considering unsubbing/leaving this game. Because I understand that the prospect of Server Merges is frightening you but please, listen to my call for reason and patience.

I get what you are afraid of, you are afraid that when the merges occur trolls will start to ruin and destroy any RP experiences they see in public. I want to ask you to stop for a moment, look upon that line of thought and reflect for a moment; how likely is it someone will be actively going out of their way to target you and troll your RP experience. Those people don't have troll alarms in their rooms telling them whenever there is RP. You will still be able to recruit in the General Chat, you will still be able to RP just like you had before. Because you need to ask yourself this: is my fear blinding me right now as to what the most likely scenario is? I am fairly certain it's more the fear causing you to think this way than reality.

People will have no argument by dismissing RP and will not do such as they have to understand that it's multiple servers with different playstyles that will be merged. It's even far more likely that the majority of players simply won't even care whether you roleplay or not because they'll be busy playing the game their own way anyway. You assume it will be hell, you assume it will be bad but how much of that is likely going to happen? You haven't even tried it our or given a chance, test it out first because you may be surprised it won't be that bad as you think it will be. Don't let RP die in SWTOR because you are afraid of some immature baboons, because if you leave it will be no other person than yourself killing off the RP community. It won't be the devs, it won't be the supposed trolls, but only you. Thus I urge you to stay and try out the changes before you unsub or leave the game.

Lastly, don't paint a target on your back because with this entire panicked/angered/rage-filled attitude at the server merges and the supposed trolls that will specifically target you and grief you, you are doing exactly that: painting a target on your back. You are currently giving the trolls that are out there the time of their life by letting them know how much power they have over you. Instead of ignoring them and playing the game the way you want to play it as is your right, you have given the trolls all the food and fuel they could never hope to muster.

So please, I urge for reason and reflection regarding this and not making any hasty decisions. Try it out first, see for yourself and then decide whether it's as bad as you thought it would be. Because chances are it's more the fear talking than reality. Don't let some immature baboons control you this way, because if you let the fear of them to decide to leave/ubsub, then they win, the trollers will win and have their way. They will have exerted the perfect control over you by not even trolling but using your own fear against you. Please take under consideration that the developers have also considered all your concerns and deemed server merges still as a good path to follow. Think about that, because it is very likely that as an objective party they looked at this issue and deemed it unlikely to happen. That should not grief you but instead it should bring solace, as they have thought it over as an objective party and deduced based on the arguments presented and facts they have nothing bad will happen. Find comfort in this and know that the merges won't cause for the trolls to come out and grief you.
The Twi'lek Crusader
It is time for the Twi'lek species to receive new appearance customization options, because they have been neglected since launch.
If you agree with this... do please click on my referral link!

MadDutchman
10.02.2017 , 10:07 PM | #2
While approaching changes with patience and reason is always a good idea, I think you underestimate just how many douchebags are on the Internet.

Hopefully the worst of it is contained in the hot prospect (nope, still can't say that without rolling my eyes...)

Wait and see i guess
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

Aulus_Claudius
10.02.2017 , 10:13 PM | #3
Well said, I remain optimistic that the trolls will not be a huge problem. If I see one: block, report, move on. Anyone who plays Overwatch or any MOBA knows what real trolling is, and what we see in Star Wars is nothing.

Admittedly it's the character name merge that's making me consider leaving, not the trolls. And sadly there's no pep talk that can bring back such an essential part of a character I've loved for years. There's nothing to be done except create alts on all the servers to be merged with mine, and if someone has one of my names on one of them, find and bribe them. It's worked before.
Thanks for the gearing changes in 5.1 and 5.2, BioWare - resubbed.

IoNonSoEVero
10.02.2017 , 10:19 PM | #4
You know, a lot of the RPers and other players who are concerned aren't just fearing some random bogeyman. Many have already had negative experiences. Some have transferred off certain servers because of the surliness. They just want to play the game and be left alone, and being told that their server's population is going to treble or quadruple doesn't inspire confidence there. There's enough documentation about griefing, trolling and harassment in video games out there to make it clear that there unfortunately are a lot of players out there who get their jollies by ruining others' experiences.

Add to this that BW COULD do more to prevent trolling and harassment, but they DON'T- for instance, making 'ignore' Legacy-wide, so that a troll can't just change to an alt and come back to continue their harassment. Or giving an auto-decline for duels so people can't be duel spammed. It's easy to tell someone to use ignore and keep going - and that is what *I* do as I play - but it can be upsetting especially when it keeps happening.

Add to *this*: the fact that the roadmap is basically telling solo/story players that BW doesn't care about them, and all of this together makes for a lot of worry.

As of right now I'm letting my sub run out - not because of the trolling, but because BW's given me no reason, as a solo player, to stay.

Suzsi
10.02.2017 , 10:24 PM | #5
Beregen Colony was one of the RP servers and is being merged with Harbinger on Hot Prospect. Just ewww. Im on Beregen Colony even though I don't RP I know it has to suck for them badly. Im not looking forward to this merge either as it is or that godawful name.

SithEmpress
10.02.2017 , 10:50 PM | #6
BC is my main account and I'm so sad that were being merge with Harbinger. l wish BC was being merged with Ebon Hawk instead. I don't like playing on Harbinger that much and that without the technical problems that server has. I hope they did some serious upgrade because I always get huge lags on Harbinger but never on BC. Sad thing is I like BC community, I don't feel it was dead at all. I never had trouble finding people. I like RP since SWG but haven't done it much in the past years, as I'm too busy with college but I hope RP community stay strong.
If you are looking for refer a friend link, than I have one for you right
here Click Here. Hey well both get some shines!

Shipwright
10.03.2017 , 12:26 AM | #7
Sadly I do not share this optimistic view. I don't RP but almost every time...no exaggeration, nearly every time..I have seen people engaged in RP, trolls dived in. If they happen to be in "earshot", they go at it. It's a huge thrill for them. Griefers of all sorts live for such moments and rarely (if ever) pass up an opportunity.

It won't affect me as I do not RP, but think those who do have a legitimate concern.

RikuvonDrake
10.03.2017 , 03:18 AM | #8
I think the biggest concern in regards to roleplayers is how it will impact the large majority of the player base, as in people who are not roleplayers. Thankfully we earlier had RP:ers on separate servers but now they will be in our flashpoints, uprisings and other group content not skipping conversations in Master mode, RP-Walking during fights and not helping the group during combat.

I sincerely hope that with this change, the RP community sees that their actions and how they are looked at in the community has a direct impact on if they are able to conduct RP events without interrupts. If RP:ers are able to adjust and make sacrifices of their own in terms of playstyle for other people, I am sure the majority of the player base will leave the RP:ers alone, however if RP:ers do not do this, I am pretty sure you won't have a great time doing events.

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse - Darth Malgus

Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Is there any other reason for a pvp'er to sub?
There's the obvious reason to help financially support the game.

Ylliarus
10.03.2017 , 03:34 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by RikuvonDrake View Post
I think the biggest concern in regards to roleplayers is how it will impact the large majority of the player base, as in people who are not roleplayers. Thankfully we earlier had RP:ers on separate servers but now they will be in our flashpoints, uprisings and other group content not skipping conversations in Master mode, RP-Walking during fights and not helping the group during combat.

I sincerely hope that with this change, the RP community sees that their actions and how they are looked at in the community has a direct impact on if they are able to conduct RP events without interrupts. If RP:ers are able to adjust and make sacrifices of their own in terms of playstyle for other people, I am sure the majority of the player base will leave the RP:ers alone, however if RP:ers do not do this, I am pretty sure you won't have a great time doing events.
You confuse 2 forms of RP, the roleplay you are talking about is the one where someone creates a headcanon for their class in their mind and play the class story and such with a specific personality in mind. I am talking about the Roleplay where people create characters outside of the game's story, that actually write out their actions and deeds in the Say chat with other players who roleplay. I am talking about the entire guilds that are focused on this kind of roleplay, organising events in the form of tabletop RP like Dungeons and Dragons does only using the game environment for it instead.
The Twi'lek Crusader
It is time for the Twi'lek species to receive new appearance customization options, because they have been neglected since launch.
If you agree with this... do please click on my referral link!

Zerileth
10.03.2017 , 03:37 AM | #10
Some of your concerns are valid sure, but I don't think the sky is falling. Many on Harbinger are good people. Even on EH I've encountered idiots and trolls. Many times I've seen RPers that aren't harassed doing just fine. And, remember you're not going to Harbinger's server. You're being merged with their players sure. And, fyi, Harbinger server hasn't had the problems in the last few years that people make it out to have had. It's actually been very stable. I've seen other servers with their share of problems. This is good for the game and its longevity. The game has to cater to everybody as best it can. My opinions of course.
Happy Holidays!