Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Forced Name Change Questions and Disscussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Forced Name Change Questions and Disscussion

Foambreaker
10.02.2017 , 04:58 PM | #1
The details from the blog on name changes:

Quote:
What Will My New Server Be?

As part of the United Forces update, your characters will be moved to one of five new servers.

•Harbinger
•Bergeren Colony
•Bastion

To ->
•The Hot Prospect: (North America)

•Jedi Covenant
•Shadowlands
•Ebon Hawk
•Prophecy of the Five
•Jung Ma

To ->
•Star Forge: (North America)

•Progenitor
•Tomb of Freedon Nadd
•Red Eclipse

To ->
•Darth Malgus (Europe – English)

•Mantle of the Force
•Battle Meditation
•Darth Nihilus

To ->
•The Leviathan (Europe – French)

•T3-M4
•Vanjervalis Chain
•Jar’Kai Sword

To ->
•Tulak Hord (Europe – German)

How Am I Affected?

It is our intent that this process will have very little impact on you or your account. Since Character names must be unique on a server, it is possible that when we create the new United Forces servers, you may need to rename your character. As part of the process of uniting the galaxy, we will communicate a specific set of rules to govern the prospective scenario where two names collide:

•Premium players (Subscribers) will have priority over Free-to-Play and Preferred Status players.
•Highly played characters will have priority over characters with less play time.

To limit the challenge of duplicated names we will proactively remove names from characters that have not been played within the past 90-days or more and which are below Level 10. We know your character’s name is very important to you and so we are taking steps to ensure that you can hang on to the names you love to the greatest extent possible!

The new United Forces galaxy will have no impact on your Guild, Guild Bank, Achievements, or Strongholds. While all Legacy Family Trees will reset during the update, for most players, there will be minimal impact on your Legacy. For more details on the process and rules please see the details below.

What will happen to my character(s)?

Currently, a Premium (Subscriber) account is allowed a maximum of 52 characters per server. Following the United Forces update, accounts with more than 52 characters on a server will be accommodated. You will still be able to access and play each of those characters. However, if you wish to make any new characters after that point, you will need to delete characters until you are back at or below the cap of 52.

For Free-to-Play accounts, this process will work a little differently. Following the United Forces update, if your account has characters beyond the Free-to-Play limit of 2, then all your characters will be set to ‘deactivated’. This allows you to log in and choose which characters you would like to activate and play.

Character Names

In most cases, nothing will happen to your character name. Names will only be impacted when there are two of the exact same name on the new United Forces server at which point a governing system determines which character has priority:

•Premium players (Subscribers) will have priority over Free-to-Play and Preferred Status players.
•Highly played characters will have priority over characters with less play time.

To proactively offset unnecessary challenges around character names, we are initiating a process of removing names from long inactive accounts. Any character that has not logged in for 90-days or more which has not progressed beyond level 10 will be flagged to rename their character.
I like the part that says "In most cases, nothing will happen to your character name.". If your name doesn't suck; others will have used your name on other servers. I hate to break it to you but you are not the only Smith out there.

If you have a good name your odds of keeping that name depend on the number of servers being merged; i.e. 3 servers you have a 1 in 3 chance of keeping your name, 5 servers, 1 in 5 chance.

We will all win some and lose some.

Also they should not be deleting the < L10s on PAID accounts.

Eshvara
10.02.2017 , 05:02 PM | #2
I don't care much for my Alts except for 1 which has an amazing name. My main doesn't seem to have been used by people higher level than me or more active so I'm good.
I guess there will be some sad people. But what can you do.
Hairy Co-pilot.
👀

kodrac
10.02.2017 , 05:03 PM | #3
If I lose a name I lose a name. I can think up more.
One FREE character transfer -> CLICKY plus 7 days FREE -> FAQ

Foambreaker
10.02.2017 , 05:11 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Eshvara View Post
I don't care much for my Alts except for 1 which has an amazing name. My main doesn't seem to have been used by people higher level than me or more active so I'm good.
I guess there will be some sad people. But what can you do.
Oh tell us your amazing name

j/k

Eshvara
10.02.2017 , 05:12 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Foambreaker View Post
Oh tell us your amazing name

j/k
Noway, you forum people will find it lame and be honest about it. Not going to get my name potentially ruined!
Sometimes ignorance is bliss.(But it's a rly nice name, honestly)
Hairy Co-pilot.
👀

Foambreaker
10.02.2017 , 05:17 PM | #6
It could be a good first name?

<amazingname> Smith

Aulus_Claudius
10.02.2017 , 06:04 PM | #7
I have 20 characters all of whom I care about. A single forced name change on any of them will herald my last day in this game I've played since beta. I hope BW knows what they're opening by doing this.
Thanks for the gearing changes in 5.1 and 5.2, BioWare - resubbed.

annabethchase
10.02.2017 , 06:07 PM | #8
I truly understand the need to merge servers, but do they not realize many of us paid cartel coins for name changes in the past? Many of us have been screwed over twice in past server merges and eventually had to pay for a name change when a space became available. That's real money and should be refunded in the shape of cartel coins.
Thinking about subbing? Use this link to help us both out http://www.swtor.com/r/3txb7F

MWM_NoVaCaNe
10.02.2017 , 06:14 PM | #9
I agree they should have a record of a paid name change and if a player who paid for a name change is required to change their name cartel coins should be refunded.

But I also agree the mergers are necessary so they just have to have a way to compensate people for their paid troubles (i.e. the way I said above). I haven't paid for any name changes and know of one name that I will have to change because I have it on two characters on two of the servers that will be merging. That's life.

Atma
10.02.2017 , 06:42 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Aulus_Claudius View Post
Hm, I sense a severe lack of respect here. Just because you don't share the concerns of others, don't mock them for it. Just a bit of friendly advice.
No, sorry. You can keep your friendly advice. That statement was ridiculous.