Flashpoint Utilities of each advanced class?

ElleSheepy

While I play, I noticed that different classes bring different skills to the group.

For example,

• Shadow/Assassin can stealth scout and sleep an enemy, so that everyone can by pass him/her.
  • Scoundrel/Operative can do the same, plus project cloak field, often to bypass droids.
  • Vanguard/Powertech can pull out conquest commander and pvp enemies.
  • Gunsligner/Sniper has shield projector that protects a big area.
  • Sage/Sorcerer has bubble, friend pull, and can push enemies for AoE or off cliffs.

I'm aware that tank-able adv. classes can all off-tank (taunt and guard), and all heal-able adv. classes can off-heal (heal, cleanse, rez).

1. What about the dps-only adv. classes? How can they help the group other than kill things fast?

2. I'm sure I missed some "team abilities" that help the group survive or reach the objective. Can you fill me in?

(e.g. Commando/Mercenary has push too, but I see few tactical use of it. Is it because of short range? Does Sentinel/Marauder do respectable/sustainable group heal through Zen/Berserk?)

Edited by ElleSheepy

I have yet to confirm this, but Inspiration & Transcendence for a Sentinel, or Bloodthirst & Predation for a Marauder, although they say they are for Ops groups, appear to work in regular 4-player groups as well.

But, as I say, they appear to work - that is, they do show icons on the other players effect bars, but I can't say for sure if they actually do anything.

1. What about the dps-only adv. classes? How can they help the group other than kill things fast?

2. I'm sure I missed some "team abilities" that help the group survive or reach the objective. Can you fill me in?

(e.g. Commando/Mercenary has push too, but I see few tactical use of it. Is it because of short range? Does Sentinel/Marauder do respectable/sustainable group heal through Zen/Berserk?)

1. Um. "kill things fast" is very, very, very important, or more important than that, even, especially in higher difficulty levels.

(e.g.). The Commando/Mercenary PBAoE push has, like all such abilities, a big thing *against* it: it is indiscriminate, and (a) mustn't be used in range of foes that are being held by the tank(1), and (b) doesn't work against bosses anyway. But where it is usable, it has a feature that's different from the same ability on Shadow/Assassin - it is a 360-degree push, not a fan-in-front push. Whether that's a plus or a minus depends on the situation.

(1) Complaints about misuse of this feature heavily in the earlier parts of the big "Weird people you meet on Group Finder" thread.

While I play, I noticed that different classes bring different skills to the group.

For example,

• Shadow/Assassin can stealth scout and sleep an enemy, so that everyone can by pass him/her.
  • Scoundrel/Operative can do the same, plus project cloak field, often to bypass droids.
  • Vanguard/Powertech can pull out conquest commander and pvp enemies.
  • Gunsligner/Sniper has shield projector that protects a big area.
  • Sage/Sorcerer has bubble, friend pull, and can push enemies for AoE or off cliffs.

I'm aware that tank-able adv. classes can all off-tank (taunt and guard), and all heal-able adv. classes can off-heal (heal, cleanse, rez).

What do dps only classes bring to the raid/group?

You already covered the sniper shield, it's a damage reduction for every teammember that stands in it and it can help a lot in some damage-intense phases of a fight. Maras/Sents have two group buffs. One is bloodlust (aka "raidbuff") which increases the damage your group is doing for a short while, the other one is predation. It's a speed bonus for all group members combined with some incresed defences and, if specced into it, also a root-breaker for the whole group, which can come in very handy in some fights.

In addition both classes have very good damage combined with very nice dcd's that often let them ignore some mechanics, which leeds to more uptime on the boss and therefor even better damage and healers don't have do spam-heal them every other second (at least, if dcd's are beeing used correctly).

The heal from Anni/Watchman is not exactly great, because you can't really aim the heals to where/when it's needed the most, so a lot of times most of it goes to waste. That beeing said, "some heals" are better than "no heals" and it might actually help your healers in some cases.

Other "team abilities" you missed:

Sorcs, Mercs, Ops and Maras (and their republic counterparts ofc) have a "raidbuff", that is a buff which increses the stats of your group for a short time. It's called raidbuff by most players, because that's where these buffs are most important, but they work for any kind of group, even if you're alone.

Sorc/Mercs also have a 1min mezz which can be used while in combat and also against droids (unlike the mezz of the stealth-classes) and can be very usefull for adds/trashpulls.

Thanks for all the advice. Yes I agree that killing things fast is very important :D But for example I didn't know raidbuff is limited to a few classes; thought it's generic like class buff.

The reason I ask these is I'm working on a table to help me learn the classes and their dynamic in a group, to help myself and to hopefully help others. Seems that I was right to ask here! Many materials to digest :cool:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-fSf1mULqL0QktwUTVKbmdMU0U

Edited by ElleSheepy