Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bounty Contract: Ord Mantell and Hutta kingpin question

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Bounty Contract: Ord Mantell and Hutta kingpin question

SteveTheCynic
09.22.2017 , 01:49 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Signalights View Post
the new people who are permanetly locked out of it for no good reason.
I wouldn't call "I refuse to create a new character for this" a good reason. And that's the *ONLY* reason a *player* would be "permanently" locked out. (There *are* other servers in each region, and going to a "quiet" server to create a character there to do that mission actually makes it easier to do because there is less competition.)

In general, though, I sympathise with the wish to be able to do this at higher levels, and at least now you wouldn't get the problem of level 55 mobs nuking the lowest of the lowbies.

Well, you'd still get the problem of low lowbies getting nuked by the spawns, but at least they'd have the satisfaction that the mobs that nuked them were only level 12. Somehow I don't think that's very reassuring.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

Signalights
09.22.2017 , 02:38 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
I wouldn't call "I refuse to create a new character for this" a good reason. And that's the *ONLY* reason a *player* would be "permanently" locked out.
I don't understand how having to create a whole new character and basically level-lock it in it's early to mid 20's or so, after it gets to the fleet, and then leave it alone until the next bounty week rolls around just to be able to do this one quest is somehow considered reasonable in your mind.

As for being permanently locked out, yes my MAIN character is in fact permanently locked out of the quest. There is no work-around for that.

Quote:
In general, though, I sympathise with the wish to be able to do this at higher levels, and at least now you wouldn't get the problem of level 55 mobs nuking the lowest of the lowbies.

Well, you'd still get the problem of low lowbies getting nuked by the spawns, but at least they'd have the satisfaction that the mobs that nuked them were only level 12. Somehow I don't think that's very reassuring.
All they had to do to fix the problem was remove the stupid AOE from the mobs that was the actual cause of the problem, instead of locking out 90+% of the game's population from being able to do the quest at all, including everyone who has never actually done it before, and had no way of knowing that they only had until level 27 to get the chance to do it at least once.

And all they actually did was punish people for doing what they are supposed to in the game, which is leveling their characters, by taking away access to an event quest that many people enjoy, or at least want to be able to. I find no valid excuse for that.

Eiter
09.22.2017 , 05:33 AM | #13
First, I agree that there seems to be no real reason to keep this level lock around anymore.
That said, I also don't see the problem. The Bounty Contract Week is one of very few things I have a 100% achievements for, and I can tell you, there is no continuity. It doesn't matter which character you do this on. The only unique aspect is the Kingpin, and that doesn't lead up to anything.
So here's how you do it: Earn five completed contracts on your main., and keep them. When the next Bounty week pops up in a month or so, quickly level a character on Hutta or Ord Mantell, and send the five contracts to it. Buy Kingpin job. And once you do, it sticks. You can't do the henchmen on above level 27 characters, but the Kingpin is bought and owned.

SteveTheCynic
09.22.2017 , 06:22 AM | #14
I don't understand how having to create a whole new character and basically level-lock it in it's early to mid 20's or so, after it gets to the fleet, and then leave it alone until the next bounty week rolls around just to be able to do this one quest is somehow considered reasonable in your mind.
I didn't say it was reasonable, merely that saying "new people are permanently locked out" isn't reasonable either.
As for being permanently locked out, yes my MAIN character is in fact permanently locked out of the quest. There is no work-around for that.
Depends, I suppose, on whether we mean "new players" or "new characters" when we say "new people". New *players* can't lock *themselves* out of it, but they can lock their *characters* out.
All they had to do to fix the problem was remove the stupid AOE from the mobs that was the actual cause of the problem, instead of locking out 90+% of the game's population from being able to do the quest at all, including everyone who has never actually done it before, and had no way of knowing that they only had until level 27 to get the chance to do it at least once.

And all they actually did was punish people for doing what they are supposed to in the game, which is leveling their characters, by taking away access to an event quest that many people enjoy, or at least want to be able to. I find no valid excuse for that.
Again you talk as if it is impossible to do the quest on a different character, as if the *player* is locked out because that character made level 28. And the function of the AoEs is to remove all the non-mission mobs from the area, not to remove uninvolved *players* from the area.

Having thought about this in more detail myself, though, I'd say that making the "arrival" AoEs only hit NPCs would be a good place to start, and to do the same for the Kingpins as well. Samovan Bann on Coruscant, for example is problematic because he spawns in a questing area (there's at least one mission on Coruscant that takes the character onto that platform - you get it from the security services guy across from the entrance to the Gonthor Industries Heroic), and Lord Trok on DK is inside the effing Dark Temple where everyone has to go.

So yeah, fix the AoE to be anti-NPC, and put the mission back for everyone. You have my vote.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

Diviciacus
09.22.2017 , 09:24 AM | #15
I didn't know this level lock was even a thing? I never used a character below level 60 with this event and I did everything. So clearly at some point someone is lying.
Nonne mei fratres congruitis nobis nostram cruore ferroque humum recipienda esse aut Imperium Aeternum quae omnia speremus peregerimusque vere perdat?
Conquering the Darkest Places, the ongoing misadventures of a Sith doing what's right by her.

Eiter
09.22.2017 , 09:49 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Diviciacus View Post
I didn't know this level lock was even a thing? I never used a character below level 60 with this event and I did everything. So clearly at some point someone is lying.
No, the option to do henchman contracts on Ord and Hutta disappears at some point. I believe the same goes for buying the kingpin contract but I need to check that. The henchmen, of course, are the same everywhere, so the achievements for them are not affected.

ETA: Something similar seems to be the case for heroics. My lvl 70 hunter can't pick up heroics for Hutta on the fleet, for example, but must use the terminal on the planet.

Diviciacus
09.22.2017 , 10:52 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Eiter View Post
No, the option to do henchman contracts on Ord and Hutta disappears at some point. I believe the same goes for buying the kingpin contract but I need to check that. The henchmen, of course, are the same everywhere, so the achievements for them are not affected.

ETA: Something similar seems to be the case for heroics. My lvl 70 hunter can't pick up heroics for Hutta on the fleet, for example, but must use the terminal on the planet.
That sounds like a bug, because my level 70 toons can pick up Tython/Ord Mantell/Korriban Heroics (I don't have a 70 Agent or BH to confirm/refute your specific case).

EDIT: I think what's going on with the Bounty contract week is that only characters who start on the world the bounty is on may do the bounty. You can't do the Ord Mantell daily with a Jedi, and you can't do the Hutta daily with a Sith. My level 70 Guardian can't pick up the Ord Mantell daily, but my 70 Scoundrel can.

And since people wielding plasma torches consist of roughly 60-70% of the playerbase (from memory of the stats Bioware released earlier this year), that means a lot of people who mysteriously can't see that bounty.
Nonne mei fratres congruitis nobis nostram cruore ferroque humum recipienda esse aut Imperium Aeternum quae omnia speremus peregerimusque vere perdat?
Conquering the Darkest Places, the ongoing misadventures of a Sith doing what's right by her.

orangenee
09.22.2017 , 01:51 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by MrNihulus View Post
we may still be able to do the kingpin missions, just maybe not the henchman, well, we will find out soon
Hutta Kingpin is still good. My BH was around level 45 when she picked it up and she can still do it now too.

My Sorcerer is level 26 and she can still access the henchmen, for now at least.
SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/Kqsyhb #FreeMalgus #MarrReborn

Eiter
09.22.2017 , 02:12 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by orangenee View Post
Hutta Kingpin is still good. My BH was around level 45 when she picked it up and she can still do it now too.

My Sorcerer is level 26 and she can still access the henchmen, for now at least.
Yeah, I was just in and checked: Lvl 70's can buy the Hutta / Ord Mantell kingpin contracts, but cannot take the henchmen contracts.

Signalights
09.22.2017 , 07:48 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Eiter View Post
The Bounty Contract Week is one of very few things I have a 100% achievements for, and I can tell you, there is no continuity. It doesn't matter which character you do this on. The only unique aspect is the Kingpin, and that doesn't lead up to anything.
Actually it does matter to me. Personally, I use the Bounty Week event as a way to roleplay my Republic character as a Republic bounty hunter, which otherwise doesn't exist as a playable class. Yes, people, believe it or not some players actually still like to role-play in RPG's these days.

The stories are short, but I actually do care about them. And the Ord Mantell one in particular has some pretty good dialog in my opinion, which FYI is not just some generic henchman as a previous poster stated. It's actually an ex-Colonel of the Republic who has gone rogue and started committing heineous crimes under the delusion it is somehow helping the Republic. So I am upset that the first half of this story is inaccessible to me, on the one character that I am specifically using as my Republic bounty hunter toon.

When I participate in the bounty week also I like to do the 1 regular bounty and the 1 kingpin bounty that actually correspond to each other. And now the kingpin bounty I have for Ord Mantell is just the odd one out that has no counterpart for me, due to a very silly thing the devs did a long time ago that makes zero logical sense. And I think they deserve to be ridiculed for it.

Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
Again you talk as if it is impossible to do the quest on a different character, as if the *player* is locked out because that character made level 28.
It is practically impossible for me, due to the fact that the only way around it is I would have to make a duplicate of my Republic bounty hunter toon with all the same armor and everything so the appearance would be identical, and then play through all of the story content that is required to get that character to the fleet, then park it on the fleet and just leave it alone, so I don't accidentually over-level it until the next bounty week. All this, all to get to do one simple quest, while pretending I am really on my main while I'm doing it. Which is a gaint PITA no one should have to go through.

And since bounty week is a short event that only gets put in the game every few months, this would require some very tedious timing to be able to catch it on the right toon at the right time when the quest is actually accessible to that toon, when the event is running and the toon is within the right level range. Note that on top of this, epecially with how fast XP goes in the game now, this has become an exceptionally small window that someone would literally have to dedicate one toon for. There is no good reason why this much difficulty must be hurdled just to do one simple solo quest.

Quote:
And the function of the AoEs is to remove all the non-mission mobs from the area, not to remove uninvolved *players* from the area.
That makes no sense. The mission mobs for the *regular* bounties are always located in and around cantinas, where no regular mobs ever spawn. I'm assuming this includes the one on Ord Mantell, since I can't actually play it to see for myself. But I don't see why it would be any different from all the others. In any case, there was still nothing ever stopping them from reprogramming the AOEs to only do what they were intended to, and be unable to hit any outside players who didn't have aggro of the mbos.

Quote:
Having thought about this in more detail myself, though, I'd say that making the "arrival" AoEs only hit NPCs would be a good place to start, and to do the same for the Kingpins as well.
I have done all of the other bounty contracts including all the Kingpin ones, and I cannot recall any of them having the mission mobs located in an area where other regular mobs would be within aggro range after the mission mob was spawned. Some of the kingpin ones make you go through some aggro mob areas, but the actual pawn point of the boss is in a blank spot of the area.

Quote:
Samovan Bann on Coruscant, for example is problematic because he spawns in a questing area (there's at least one mission on Coruscant that takes the character onto that platform - you get it from the security services guy across from the entrance to the Gonthor Industries Heroic), and Lord Trok on DK is inside the effing Dark Temple where everyone has to go.
But that is only for the Kingpin bounty, none of which they bothered to lock anyone out of, so that does not apply. They only locked out the regular non-kingpin bounties on the 2 starter planets, but left the kingpin versions alone. How does that make sense if it was such a huge problem they had to do something so drastic, but only did it half-assed anyway?

Quote:
So yeah, fix the AoE to be anti-NPC, and put the mission back for everyone. You have my vote.
Well at least we can agree on one thing, which is the most important thing. They need to fix this one way or another. But will they actually do it? Probably not, because this is only one of the many, many things that are broken in the older content of this game that they have been way too lazy to fix even after repeated requests and complaints on the forums for years on end. Another reason why this recent discovery frustrates me so much. It's just another thorn in my side I guess I have to learn to live with if I want to continue trying to enjoy this game.