Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Confused About the Emperor Storyline(s) (Plot Spoilers, Obviously)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Confused About the Emperor Storyline(s) (Plot Spoilers, Obviously)

Sinhammer
09.20.2017 , 11:49 PM | #1
So the JK "kills" him, we magically release him at the end of SoR, he goes on a rampage and eats Ziost, etc.--how in all that time-frame was he also Emperor Valkorian? He's been the Emperor of Zakuul for a few centuries, right? Or am I wrong on that one?

Is he able to multi-possess (like on Ziost) across galactic distances? In other words--that was only part of him that we fought with all this time and another "part" was living the high life on Zakuul? Did he take trips?
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.
----Darth Wolfhammer Hellstorm of Star Forge----

OldVengeance
09.21.2017 , 02:37 AM | #2
Yes. This appears to be an unexplained plot hole.

SolarSaenz
09.21.2017 , 07:28 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Sinhammer View Post
So the JK "kills" him, we magically release him at the end of SoR, he goes on a rampage and eats Ziost, etc.--how in all that time-frame was he also Emperor Valkorian? He's been the Emperor of Zakuul for a few centuries, right? Or am I wrong on that one?

Is he able to multi-possess (like on Ziost) across galactic distances? In other words--that was only part of him that we fought with all this time and another "part" was living the high life on Zakuul? Did he take trips?
In a post some months ago, Charles tries to explain this away, but in my opinion, his explanation is weak and reads more like a bad fan thought out afterthought instead of "this is what we always had envisioned". He also says that in stories, not all gaps are filled or something along those lines.
Perhaps someone else will be so kind as to provide a link or quotation of what Charles said on the subject.

Again, in my opinion, the explanation of Vitiate also being Valkorian is weak, about as weak as the "official" Zelda timeline. Oh, yes! I just opened that can of worms

SteveTheCynic
09.21.2017 , 08:40 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by SolarSaenz View Post
about as weak as the "official" Zelda timeline. Oh, yes! I just opened that can of worms
I'll just leave you with this. I said it in a different context, but it's applicable here...

It's a can of worms, with the added twist that in addition to containing worms, the can is made of worms.

And the worms are venomous.

And fire-breathing.

With claws.

And fangs.

And wings.

In short, they aren't worms. They are wyrms.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

SolarSaenz
09.21.2017 , 08:51 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
I'll just leave you with this. I said it in a different context, but it's applicable here...

It's a can of worms, with the added twist that in addition to containing worms, the can is made of worms.

And the worms are venomous.

And fire-breathing.

With claws.

And fangs.

And wings.

In short, they aren't worms. They are wyrms.
If these forums had a "like" button, I would hit that like button!
Well done!

SolarSaenz
09.21.2017 , 09:41 AM | #6
For the original poster (OP) and other curious souls, please see this post from Charles Boyde where he addresses the whole Vitiate is Valkorian subject.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...29#post9347029

Kataret
09.21.2017 , 10:59 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by SolarSaenz View Post
For the original poster (OP) and other curious souls, please see this post from Charles Boyde where he addresses the whole Vitiate is Valkorian subject.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...29#post9347029
In my opinion, Charles' explanation did manage to connect the dots and finally reveal the entirely of the life of Valkorion. Though while I do appreciate that post tremendously, I will admit that the overall chronology does feel a bit weak at points since a lot of the correlations were not confirmed in the actual game, and we needed this "behind the scenes" type of thing to fully understand everything. This was likely another result of the enormous shortening of the Valkorion/Zakuul expansion storyline, as there were naturally a lot of things they needed to include and some of the Valkorion details didn't make the cut.

Sinhammer
09.21.2017 , 01:42 PM | #8
I read the entire post, and thanks for linking to it. I'm not entirely satisfied his explanation works, but it is what it is. It still feels like the chronology of his life is a bit wonky. I suppose I should just learn to go with the flow.

SolarSaenz
09.21.2017 , 02:06 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Sinhammer View Post
I read the entire post, and thanks for linking to it. I'm not entirely satisfied his explanation works, but it is what it is. It still feels like the chronology of his life is a bit wonky. I suppose I should just learn to go with the flow.
I don't think you should "just learn to go with the flow". I personally believe in calling a spade a spade, as the saying goes.
However, let me provide some perspective.

There is a lot to like about this game even story wise. Keeping up with the Valkorians....err I mean KOTFE and KOTET, the way I see it, were well intentioned but misguided and failed attempts at a new story. I find a lot of the story weak, but it does shine in some places. I don't hate the game because of the misteps of KOTFE and KOTET. I just accept that those were mistakes and play due to other parts of the game that are good. And, we are seemingly going away from everything Zakuul. I think before long (in the context of the story, not real life time), even the alliance will be gone or something like that.

Sinhammer
09.21.2017 , 09:27 PM | #10
I love the original stuff, I was okay with RotHC, and enjoyed SoR. KotFE/KotET for me just don't work story-wise. I freely admit I'm on my first toon working through the stuff, but I don't see Valkorian treating classes like BH, Trooper and Agent the same way as he does the JK, Warrior etc. I know those other classes accomplish big things in the game, but the idea that he has the same conversations with them about having watched them, they alone being worth his interest or whatever, just doesn't smack of reality to me. Or the conversations with Marr and Satele. The story fits with the JK or the whole "Wrath" thing, but I just don't buy it with ALL classes. For me the "one size fits all" approach in that regard is extremely weak.