Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Looking for tips or leads on getting involved in RP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Server Forums > The Ebon Hawk
Looking for tips or leads on getting involved in RP

Assia_Penryn
09.17.2017 , 11:21 AM | #1
Hello everyone!

I'm rather new to swtor and primarily been playing with a close friend until now. I have experience in role-playing, but not in any of the modern mechanics of MMOs like swtor. My past rp experience has primarily been confined to Ultima Online which is very different in mechanics and has left me clueless.

I catch snippets of rp conversation while playing normally and I see sometime talking is done via /s and sometimes within emote. Is one of those considered the standard that I should aim to get used to using?

Are there links anyone can suggest for names and learning the ropes for lore, lingo, etc? To be honest, before my friend brought me to swtor, I've had little experience in Star Wars universe outside of seeing the movies. Its a whole new world for me and its been challenging to try and think up even appropriate references like ordering food/drink for example.

Are there specific rp taboos I should be aware of? I know a few standard ones from past experience such as forced emoting, if you absolutely must break character, use (( )), etc.

A bit about me for any interested:

I'm pretty socially shy oocly, a bit of an introvert really. I have a hard time sticking my toe in and get nervous when dealing when unknowns.... hence this post. I can play both sides of the coin, but I'll admit I have propensity to enjoy the darker side more. In the past, my characters were usually not "born" evil, but they drifted that way through rp experience and I definitely didn't fight it oocly.

I'm west coast and I have obligations in RL. I am fully upfront that I can't be online all the time. I have a few hours late morning and then usually later in the evening after I've attended to wifely responsibilities of taking care of my family.

What do I enjoy about rping? I love the creativity and immersion. I love writing stories when inspired. I enjoy watching a new character slowly evolve in personality from past experiences. I prefer to start with a more or less blank slate with maybe a catalyst backstory for a core sense of self and then let the rp mold them them as time passes. I am a strong believer in characters having just as many flaws as strengths and enjoy characters with challenging flaws whether physical, mental or social.

I am limited to classes so far. I'm one of those wonderful ladies who can get motion-sickness from games like this. Going up and down spirals, lots of camera spins or even shaky cam can set it off. Its honestly what has kept me pretty resistant to modern MMOs. I haven't tested all the classes, but the inquisitor/consular seems to be the easiest on me mechanics wise with a tank companion to keep things focused in one spot. I'm trying an agent as well to see if I can accomplish the same sort of thing.

As for getting involved, I'd prefer to start a new character. I'm open to rolling alliance or imperial, but I've always enjoyed the darker side of rp more. I don't mind not power grinding them in levels and letting that grow bit by bit. I prefer strengths to develop over time as well and in the past, some of my most enjoyable characters have been unimpressive on the skill front.

I'm open to joining a rp guild, but not sure what exists in swtor. I don't mind long term plots. I don't mind cantina sitting or adventuring. I'd like a mixture of all of it to be honest. I don't mind adhering to rp restrictions such as master/apprentice provided that I'm not sequestering my character to no interaction because we can't align schedules.

I think that's about it.
If anyone has questions, feel free to ask!
If anyone has any tips, suggestions, etc... please share!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read all of that stuff!

Aeneas_Falco
09.17.2017 , 03:38 PM | #2
I'm fairly new to the RP scene but can share a few tips I've learned until someone with more experience weighs in.

Probably the biggest way to get involved in RP is just by joining a good and active RP guild with regular events. It's much easier to find RP with a group of people you interact with regularly, some of whom you may end up becoming friendly with before your characters ever meet in character. Since guilds have their own stories and over overarching plot, it's also easier to find an RP hook for interaction with other players than with random players in the cantina.

Being in a guild is even more important on a Republic character than Imperial, since Carrick Station is less populated than Vaiken and the RP much more guild-centered than it is on the Empire. Cantina RP does happen of course, but it's much more dependent on time of day and less players participating also means less opportunities for interesting RP, though cantinas that aren't crowded do have benefits. (less distracting noise)

Cantina RP is really hit or miss. Know going into it that it may not lead to anything interesting or that you might not connect with another player and keep expectations low. No matter how creative a player is or how interesting their character, every one who wades into the cantina probably has the occasional off night where they end up bored.

If participating in cantina RP be social. I think a lot of times RPers defeat themselves by wading into the cantina and expecting other characters to initiate a conversation with them rather than making an effort to initiate a conversation themselves. That sometimes results in there being more than one character at the bar, none of whom are talking to one another.

If you want to entice characters to initiate a conversation with you at the cantina you are going to need a fun or interesting hook that's going to attract peoples' attention and make them want to comment on whatever you just emoted, or come down off that ledge and join your character at the bar. If your character just orders a drink and broods, it's going to be hard to get noticed over the three other characters doing the exact same thing. Of course that's not always so easily done, which is why it's also important to initiate conversation with player characters who say or do something interesting or amusing. There's nothing wrong with being a supporting player rather than the center of attention in whatever is going on, and can lead to RP that's just as fun.

When standing at the top of the stairs before wading into cantina RP, don't be afraid to whisper players who have characters you think you look interesting. Sometimes an OOC comment or compliment can lead to IC interaction later. People are often more comfortable interacting with players they already know even if "knowing" that player doesn't extend beyond that brief introduction.

Use outside player created resources like the EBHawk RP forum. There might be others as well, but since I'm fairly new to RP that's the only one I'm aware of. It's another place where you could make OOC connections that lead to IC connections in the game. Events are also often organized and posted there.

If your character is an arrogant and abrasive Sith or a snobby Imperial Moff that hates aliens, it's probably going to be a bit more difficult to find RP with random players in the cantina. That isn't to say that you can't, just that playing a character with unpleasant personality traits requires a much more deft hand than playing a charming and charismatic Smuggler or Bounty Hunter. When obnoxious characters are not RPed well the player rather than the character comes across as obnoxious, and people are going to avoid interacting. Even if deftly handled some characters are going to avoid interaction, since it might be in character for their Twi'lek spice baron to ignore the Imperial moff grumbling about non-humans being permitted to rub elbows with their betters. On that note some characters also work much better in a guild setting than they do in a cantina.

Try to look the part. I think some players struggle to find RP because their characters just don't look like they fit well into the game universe. No matter how creative the player is with their emotes it is probably going to difficult to find RP with random strangers if their character is named Darth Stacey and is in pigtails and dressed like Princess Leia on Jabba's sail barge or is a body type 4 male Commando with a pink mohawk.

Be patient. I know a few times when in the cantina I've seen players emote their characters's intro, then depart two minutes later. They didn't really give other players enough time to respond particularly if it's busy and there are multiple conversations going on. There have been a couple times where I had something aimed at their character just about typed out right as the player turned and left. Even if no one responds to your initial intro don't depart right way. Try initiating interaction yourself or having a second or third go at trying to entice players to initiative interaction with you.

Try to use in-universe slang over real world lingo, when appropriate. The pirate dropping multiple f-bombs is probably going to be less likely to have other characters interact with him or her than a similar player character using kriffing or karking instead.

Avoiding going Alternate Universe with your character. A player RPing Cir from the Witcherversei, travelling to the Star Wars universe via interdimensional travel, is probably not going to find many people willing to RP with them. Most are going to take that holocall and depart the moment that reveal comes out. There are a couple people on Vaiken I've already crossed paths who went a similar route, and it is never anything but annoying. Most RPers in SWTOR are looking to RP Star Wars, not some other film / game / book universe. AU roleplay should be limited entirely to guilds or events built around players with similar interests, not dumped into the lap of random players at the cantina.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Maybe some of the more experienced RPers have more to add.

Assia_Penryn
09.17.2017 , 04:05 PM | #3
Thank you so much, Aeneas_Falco. I definitely appreciate the tips and the link to that rp forum! I enjoy writing about characters so I appreciate a place I can do that.

My main character I have been using for playing runs around practically naked. While I haven't rp'd with her openly, its appropriate for her... even though it looks absolutely awful of me and I've gotten quite a few interesting whispers. *laughs* I've tried to rp back when it happens, but I think they were mainly attempts at a quick outlet for ERP or something. Not their fault, I mean she looks like she should be dancing on a pole. *smirks*

Quick question if you're still around or check back

I've only completed the sith inquisitor storyline. Obviously we can't have a gazillion Darth Noxs running around, so rply are the class quest arcs generally ignored? I've gotten the impression from observing that many guilds run their own apprentice program within guilds although I'm a bit clueless on how that works guild to guild. Do they each have a member of the council or do they keep to themselves generally except individual interactions?

Is there such thing as rp-pvp between guilds? I figured maybe like personal conflicts could use the dual system, but I don't know if there are ever battles. I would be awful at it, but it doesn't bother me. I've always felt conflict adds to rp rather than diminishes... when carefully applied that is.

Aeneas_Falco
09.18.2017 , 02:28 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Assia_Penryn View Post
Thank you so much, Aeneas_Falco. I definitely appreciate the tips and the link to that rp forum! I enjoy writing about characters so I appreciate a place I can do that.

My main character I have been using for playing runs around practically naked. While I haven't rp'd with her openly, its appropriate for her... even though it looks absolutely awful of me and I've gotten quite a few interesting whispers. *laughs* I've tried to rp back when it happens, but I think they were mainly attempts at a quick outlet for ERP or something. Not their fault, I mean she looks like she should be dancing on a pole. *smirks*

Quick question if you're still around or check back

I've only completed the sith inquisitor storyline. Obviously we can't have a gazillion Darth Noxs running around, so rply are the class quest arcs generally ignored? I've gotten the impression from observing that many guilds run their own apprentice program within guilds although I'm a bit clueless on how that works guild to guild. Do they each have a member of the council or do they keep to themselves generally except individual interactions?

Is there such thing as rp-pvp between guilds? I figured maybe like personal conflicts could use the dual system, but I don't know if there are ever battles. I would be awful at it, but it doesn't bother me. I've always felt conflict adds to rp rather than diminishes... when carefully applied that is.
As far as RP goes generally the characters exist in the same universe and timeline but are completely different people from the characters in the class stories. A Sentinel in RP isn't the Hero of Tython and a Bounty Hunter isn't the Grand Champion of the Great Hunt who took down the Republic's Chancellor. A character's RP background also doesn't necessarily need to match their gameplay class. For example a Jedi Guardian or Sith Juggernaut could also roleplay as one of the Knights of Zakuul.

Some RPers also have duplicate characters on both factions, if it makes sense for their character to interact with both factions. A Bounty Hunter for instance might also have a Republic alt that exactly matches the Imp side original, if that character has no hard faction ties and is willing to work for whomever pays.

I have seen someone attempt to RP one of the main characters (the Outlander!) and it did not go over well. Lots of OOC criticism and others staying IC but having their characters treat the claim as if it was a lie or the ramblings of someone who was deranged. I would guess that RPing Darth Nox would likely get a similar interaction, since most players have their own canon of the Inquisitor and it may not necessary match that of another player, to include the title. A player whose Inquisitor ended up with the title Darth Imperious or Occulus instead would probably act is if they'd never heard of Nox, and not believe that this "Nox" was on the Dark Council. That's of course assuming the player even stays IC, and instead doesn't just walk away or throw some OOC criticism in Say.

There is some RP-PVP, though I think most of it might be guild based. The one event I participated in was organized between two RP guilds on opposite factions.

I've only had limited experience with RP conflicts between players so far (the above event aside), but my impression is that most prefer to dice roll it rather than duel. Since the game supports PVP mechanics and I enjoy PVP I would much rather IC conflicts were settled that way and the results just emoted after, but in that I think I may in the minority. Like a lot things RP how fights are resolved has to be worked out with the other player(s) OOCly. There are quite a few PVPers who RP as well, so you can find someone who agrees to PVP if that is your preference, but don't expect it. Most players whose playstyle is exclusively RP or RP/PVE will probably want it resolved with dice rolls.

Assia_Penryn
09.18.2017 , 03:35 PM | #5
Thank you again, Aeneas_Falco. That's what I figured regarding class arc fiction. I'd never try to be something along the lines of RPing Darth Nox because of the cross-over with others. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my thread and give me some answers.