Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is there a manual gathering guide available anywhere?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Is there a manual gathering guide available anywhere?

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
09.14.2017 , 01:05 PM | #1
Like the type of gathering you can do yourself without missions? I have never really done it and I'm wondering if there's any guide to the best locations per skill etc.

Vercundus
09.15.2017 , 02:19 AM | #2
No such best location per skill, since all nodes are evenly distributed over planets. So, whatever gathering skill you have there is a similar chance of getting to the node (excluding over population and fighting with others for resources).

Not sure what would guide tell you except pick up your gathering skills (Archaeology, Bioanalysis and Scavenging) and go from planet to planet to pick up resources.

Note that gathering will yield green mats only. White ones have to be purchased from vendor or gained from missions. Blue and purple can only be gained from missions. Additionally, all mats can be bought on GTN.
Choices matter... I choose not to sub until conquest is fixed...

My referral link http://www.swtor.com/r/jRpChs

SteveTheCynic
09.15.2017 , 06:22 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu View Post
Like the type of gathering you can do yourself without missions? I have never really done it and I'm wondering if there's any guide to the best locations per skill etc.
As the other answer said, there isn't a best location per skill.

But:
* Each planet except the starter worlds has its own set of gatherable resources. A particular planet will have one grade of resources (1-10), and the further you are in the total story, the higher the grade. See below.
* Each planet that has resources has all four gatherable types (Scav, Bio, Arch, and Slicing) at the same grade. They might have different distributions within the planet, but they're all there. See below.
* If you want lower or higher graded resources than a planet offers, you must go to a different planet.

So, which planets have which grades? Coruscant, Dromund Kaas, Imperial Balmorra, and Republic Taris all have Grade 1. Zakuul and Darvannis have grade 9. Iokath has grade 10. Yavin has grade 8. And so on. I don't have a complete list immediately to hand, sorry.

And why are the distributions different? Well, the best example is Zakuul. All the Bio resources are in the Endless Swamp, along with a bunch of Arch resources. Breaktown has Scav and Slicing. But there are similar unevennesses on, say, Yavin: around the first temple building in the middle of the map, there are many Arch nodes, but around the two initial camps (on the right on the map), you'll find mostly Bio and Scav and not much Arch, if any.

And don't forget to slaughter heavy (sliver, gold, and champion) droids (Scav) and beasts (Bio) for extra nodes. On Yavin, heavy Massassi count as beasts.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
09.15.2017 , 11:01 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
As the other answer said, there isn't a best location per skill.

But:
* Each planet except the starter worlds has its own set of gatherable resources. A particular planet will have one grade of resources (1-10), and the further you are in the total story, the higher the grade. See below.
* Each planet that has resources has all four gatherable types (Scav, Bio, Arch, and Slicing) at the same grade. They might have different distributions within the planet, but they're all there. See below.
* If you want lower or higher graded resources than a planet offers, you must go to a different planet.

So, which planets have which grades? Coruscant, Dromund Kaas, Imperial Balmorra, and Republic Taris all have Grade 1. Zakuul and Darvannis have grade 9. Iokath has grade 10. Yavin has grade 8. And so on. I don't have a complete list immediately to hand, sorry.

And why are the distributions different? Well, the best example is Zakuul. All the Bio resources are in the Endless Swamp, along with a bunch of Arch resources. Breaktown has Scav and Slicing. But there are similar unevennesses on, say, Yavin: around the first temple building in the middle of the map, there are many Arch nodes, but around the two initial camps (on the right on the map), you'll find mostly Bio and Scav and not much Arch, if any.

And don't forget to slaughter heavy (sliver, gold, and champion) droids (Scav) and beasts (Bio) for extra nodes. On Yavin, heavy Massassi count as beasts.
Yeah a list of planet grades is basically what I was looking for but I'm guessing it will basically go up as planet levels rise?

And what do you mean kill beasts for extra nodes? Do they just appear more frequently if you kill stuff?

Great tips otherwise thanks for the reply

Edit: Also, not sure what you mean by the distributions are different? Do you only find each type of mat in certain areas of each map? The way you said all Bio resources are in the Endless Swamp on Zakuul etc? Cos if that was the case I will have to try find a map that will tell me the general area of the resources on each map.

Eiter
09.15.2017 , 12:37 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu View Post
And what do you mean kill beasts for extra nodes? Do they just appear more frequently if you kill stuff?
It means that dead animals count as bio samples, and droids count as scavenged metal., if they're silver or up.

I'd also add that on certain planets you can find two grades. Lots of one grade, and some rare instances of the next grade. It's usually not worth the time looking around, though.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
09.15.2017 , 03:04 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Eiter View Post
It means that dead animals count as bio samples, and droids count as scavenged metal., if they're silver or up.

I'd also add that on certain planets you can find two grades. Lots of one grade, and some rare instances of the next grade. It's usually not worth the time looking around, though.
Not sure I understand? I've killed lots of animals and droids and never got any mats from them :/ I feel like im misunderstanding something bigly here xD

Eiter
09.15.2017 , 03:51 PM | #7
It works the same way regular gathering nodes work. If you're on a character with the scavenging skill, and kill and loot a silver droid, you can see a resource node appear next to you on the minimap. Collect as usual.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
09.15.2017 , 03:57 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Eiter View Post
It works the same way regular gathering nodes work. If you're on a character with the scavenging skill, and kill and loot a silver droid, you can see a resource node appear next to you on the minimap. Collect as usual.
Ah ok I think I get it now thanks.

BenduKundalini
09.16.2017 , 09:37 AM | #9
Oh, Almar's guides are now offline.

1) You still have this, covers vanilla game with 1-6 mats (some are obsolete, the nodes still exist but yield a simplified resource)

The advantage now is you can harvest the highest mat as a beginner. So as soon as you get your ship or a heroic transport you could teleport to Zakuul and farm grade 10 mats...

There are some great areas in the game, such as the Sundari Flatland plains on Balmorra for grade 2 or 4 mats (depending if imperial or Pub version of planet) or Rishi for grade 8 mats.

2) Also be aware that some stronghold decorations yield mats.
You don't need crew skills to harvest these. Check the link above. They're called utility decos, crafting subtype. Example : bronzium wreckage, perfect upari crystal, noxious fern. They range from grade 1 to grade 8 for scavenging and archaeology, and 1-7 for bioanalysis. You can harvest 3-8 mats of both type (ie fragments + power crystals) at once, takes 15 seconds (I'd LOVE for this to be reduced to 3 seconds) and sometimes you get to harvest several times in a row. Example you harvest a Desh Junk Pile and you obtain 4 desh and 5 silica. Luckily you get to harvest it again and this time you get 6 desh and 3 silica, but get the debuff, no more harvesting for that toon for 4 hours. If meanwhile you want another toon to harvest the same deco again you need to either load another instance or remove the deco and put it back to reset it, or wait 4-5 minutes (this is the node's own cooldown, separate from your toon's node harvesting cooldown).

This also replicates slicing nodes, which yield small but handy amounts of money (have been nerfed to death) and sometimes some skill missions. example Electronic brain, encrypted terminal.

With a permission (silver key or gold) you can harvest these either from your guild stronghold or from a friend's if you don't have them yourself. Once you get the "finished harvesting" debuff you need to wait 4 hours of real time until you harvest decorations again.

At level 15 you can take the stronghold quest on fleet or in the market of your capital planet, as soon as you set foot in your personal stronghold (and actually walk 2 paces) you'll get a lot of basic decos including 4 of starter level for each type : Desh junk pile, Rubat crystal, Dielectric Tendril, Electronic Safe. Plus a load of XP !

SteveTheCynic
09.16.2017 , 09:57 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by BenduKundalini View Post
The advantage now is you can harvest the highest mat as a beginner. So as soon as you get your ship or a heroic transport you could teleport to Zakuul and farm grade 10 mats...
You can't, actually, because the grade 10 nodes aren't on Zakuul.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.