Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Romancable Arcann in the Future?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
Romancable Arcann in the Future?

IoNonSoEVero
08.22.2017 , 02:08 AM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by Nefla View Post
I think it's just a case of wanting things in games, books, and tv shows that you would never want in real life. In real life we'd never want to kill anyone but in games we petition to be able to kill certain characters we hate, in real life we'd want to stay safe and content but in a game we may want something horrible to happen to our character for a more dramatic story, in real life a soldier would listen to orders from their superior, in the game our trooper does whatever they want with no consequences, etc...Arcann is an interesting character and IMO a romance with his redeemed version would be really interesting even though in real life there's no way we would let him roam free let alone have a romance with him. A lot of our previous love interests have been varying degrees of bad. Anders blows up the chantry and all the innocent people inside and causes the templars to attack the mages and start a war on purpose and you can choose to stay with him, Fenris slaughtered the people who took him in and treated him like a brother, Zevran murdered a ton of people for money and has no remorse about it, etc...and many others are unstable, violent, have severe issues, etc...In real life the romance options we'd go for would be the normal, well grounded, non-extreme characters that most people consider boring.

With a game there's always the knowledge that this isn't real and the less we see the bad things the character does, the less real those actions are in our minds. For example Arcann ordering Vaylin to bomb 5 worlds-we don't actually see anyone dying. It's an abstract in our minds and the people killed are just ideas that were never modeled in game, we are detached from them. On the other hand we SEE Vaylin kill one of our long time and beloved companions. That's one person vs thousands but it feels more real. I don't think I could ever bring myself to spare Vaylin if the game gave us that option let alone romance her.
That's a very well stated point and perspective. People do detach from atrocities when they are off-screen. I tend to play characters mostly based on what I would do in that situation, but it's a very salient point that the game in general is allowing situations that would never fly in real life.

and I'm with you on Vaylin. What was done to her to twist her into an insane psychopath was horrifying, but it's not an excuse for her actions. I could let her spirit go free out of compassion so she's finally at peace (and so nobody can bring her back) but I could never save her if that were an option.

feylyndiira
08.22.2017 , 02:12 AM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
I'll check out your fanfic! Headcanon would be the only way possible to move through that, methinks.
Yay! Another vict---err reader! I haven't gotten to that point yet because I'm trying very hard to stay in order of the vanilla storyline. I'm currently in the process of writing the "acquiring Jaesa on Hutta" chapter right now. So, the Quinncident will be quite a bit down the line. But, I've already done quite a bit of set-up, foreshadowing, hinting, etc as to which way the wind is blowing in regards to that in the story so far. So, feel free to read away!
Crimson and Ebony
A Tale of the Sith Warrior

Shayddow
08.31.2017 , 05:11 PM | #63
There's a case for keeping Arcann alive with a DSider, and then romancing him, and having his progeny...
1. It keeps the "bloodline" of the Valkorian/Vitiate alive, while still getting rid of your foe/guy who wants to inhabit your skull.
2. As royalty did in the past, this would be a marriage of politics, not really for love - you are giving "continuence" to the people of Zakuul - and, you are begetting the future heirs of your own "empire".
3. Once you have done enough "begetting" and have a few heirs, you can get rid of hubby or sentence him to be in an "iron mask" in a dungeon somewhere, :-) or something. (or, he can keep Quinn company on the ship and be sentenced to crafting in his underwear for the remainder of his days..)

Same reason might apply to a Theron Romance for a Dark Sider.
Something to REALLY get under the skin of the Jedi Grand Master Ms Satele Shan ---- HEY, Satele, your Grandchildren are SITH!
Shekkel,70 Nimrossa, 70 |Ebon Hawk
Shassella, 70 Barzella, 70 | Begeran
Adonnah, 70 Kydosh, 70 |Harbinger
Tashha, 70 Svgon, 70

fishpeople
09.01.2017 , 12:29 AM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by Shayddow View Post
Something to REALLY get under the skin of the Jedi Grand Master Ms Satele Shan ---- HEY, Satele, your Grandchildren are SITH!
Darth Marr

Nefla
09.01.2017 , 05:21 AM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by fishpeople View Post
Darth Marr
True, she's kind of a nut-bar these days who probably wouldn't care about that anymore. She doesn't seem to care about her son at all.

Eshvara
09.01.2017 , 12:36 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by Shayddow View Post
There's a case for keeping Arcann alive with a DSider, and then romancing him, and having his progeny...
1. It keeps the "bloodline" of the Valkorian/Vitiate alive, while still getting rid of your foe/guy who wants to inhabit your skull.
2. As royalty did in the past, this would be a marriage of politics, not really for love - you are giving "continuence" to the people of Zakuul - and, you are begetting the future heirs of your own "empire".
3. Once you have done enough "begetting" and have a few heirs, you can get rid of hubby or sentence him to be in an "iron mask" in a dungeon somewhere, :-) or something. (or, he can keep Quinn company on the ship and be sentenced to crafting in his underwear for the remainder of his days..)
I just want Arcann because I actually really like him and always have! I don't care for all these extra reasons.
#Arcannite
||Refer a friend🙋|| The wheel... spins... again.
💫Darth Malgus💫

Paulsutherland
09.01.2017 , 01:34 PM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by Eshvara View Post
I just want Arcann because I actually really like him and always have! I don't care for all these extra reasons.
I just want Vaylin ... so if I have to team up with Arcann to get her, listening to him wine about his past ... I'm fine with that.

Nefla
09.01.2017 , 02:52 PM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by Paulsutherland View Post
I just want Vaylin ... so if I have to team up with Arcann to get her, listening to him wine about his past ... I'm fine with that.
What if Vaylin is just Thexan in drag?

Ioue
09.10.2017 , 02:47 AM | #69
Arcann as LI does sound interesting despite all the villainy he pulled on the Outlander and Republic/Empire. If you go for the redemption route, Arcann as a character just becomes more interesting, imo. He does the 180, but it's not like he completely forgotten about what he did. In the game, more than once, he voices and acknowledges his dark side self and shows doubt and fears of that self.

Redemption is a huge theme in the overall Star Wars mythos and Arcann has that potential in spades. It would be a shame if that potential is left to wither over real time over the course of upcoming expansions.

But I'm hoping if his redemption is to be explored, it won't solely be through romance arc. Given his villainy and the way Iokath story is going right now, would there be enough room for Arcann's story and to have it done well?

I mean... I can see Arcann romance with one of my Force-user toons after what happened on Umbara ... (sobs)