Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Would we like a gory star wars?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Would we like a gory star wars?

Mindelmatrix
09.04.2017 , 11:18 AM | #11
Nah, I don't think gory is the way to go. I think the content, as is, works for the series as far as violence is concerned.
Friend referral for extra few days sub: http://www.swtor.com/r/72MTpQ

"I am not cute. I am deadly"

kepeskvaeri
09.07.2017 , 08:33 AM | #12
Alright maybee gory was the wrong way to put it. Maybe flashy or more visual would be more fitting. We always hear about force speed or combat precognition and other powers with strong effects on combat and the way the FS in the universe acts in general. So why is it that the only time we see force speed is in the opening ****** scene in episode 1?
Can we please get some examples in the media of why roughly 10000 Jedi could keep the peace for a millenia? But again that would be pretty hard to do without turning the movie into a wuxia-film.

Aeneas_Falco
09.07.2017 , 12:45 PM | #13
Gratuitous violence and gore does nothing to enhance a story, and can often detract from it, so no.

orangenee
09.07.2017 , 05:12 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Aeneas_Falco View Post
Gratuitous violence and gore does nothing to enhance a story, and can often detract from it, so no.
Yeah, it's Star Wars and not a horror movie.

Though I enjoy a bit of excessive violence every now and again in my movies a context is important. Take Saving Private Ryan as an example, it used gore and viscera to highlight the horror of war. In fact I saw much worse during my time in the military and I imagine many law enforcement entities too.

Star Wars has never needed it though I enjoyed the more visceral experience of Republic Commando as I said before. The visor wipe was a nice touch too.
SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/Kqsyhb #FreeMalgus #MarrReborn

TyonYlle
09.07.2017 , 07:43 PM | #15
Well, imo I think there's a fine line between "gory" and "dark/gritty" and I would much prefer the latter.

Rogue One, I thought was a step into the right direction, at least where I want Star Wars to go in. I have always had faith in Disney despite the nay-sayers, after all, they do have Marvel. Dark and gritty is fine, and I believe it's what Star Wars should be, but definitely not gory, but definitely more adult that's something akin to Firefly except with Jedi and Sith.

I really hope that Disney start bringing out more adult games, like, the upcoming Uncharted-styled Star Wars game coming next year.
'You killed someone, Mya, you stole a life away from another'.
'I did it for you, Jett, I did it for us. They were just an Imp'.
'Who are you to decide that?'
'I love you, Jett!' // 'I just don't like who you're becoming'. // Continue reading

Sith-Viscera
09.07.2017 , 09:38 PM | #16
I would love to see more realism in this game. I recall towards the end of the Star Wars Academy MMO's Life. They implemented in, limbs being severed off of bodies, wasnt much blood if any. Do to the fact that a Light Saber cauterize the severed area. I would like to see that realism doesnt have to be bloody mess, when it comes to the light saber.

Now range weapons or Blunt or sharp melee weapons would cause a fair amount of blood shed.
Do we need actual Disembowelment? No... So as much as i love to leave my enemies Viscera behind on the ground or seeing a well Evisceration of a meatbag, as much as i love that stuff in single player games, we do not need that in this game. But a little blood splatter or pool and a occasional severed limb, would be I IGHT!. lol
Referral link, Use it, don't use it. It's what ever. But if you do, Thank You.
http://www.swtor.com/r/22Ct9G

doohickeyexpress
09.08.2017 , 08:00 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by orangenee View Post
Republic Commando is as close as we'll ever get to that I'm afraid.

I notice they pilfered that game's theme for KotFE chapter XIV too.
I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree. The company is owned by Disney now, and I don't think we'll ever see anything gory. I'm not even sure that they would release something like SWTOR, with the mature content that it has. But would I like to see a gory star wars? Hell yes.
FREE week of subscription!
Rewards for you and me. Activate my referral link today for UNLIMITED POWER!
http://www.swtor.com/r/mf38Jz

SteveTheCynic
09.08.2017 , 09:44 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by doohickeyexpress View Post
I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree. The company is owned by Disney now, and I don't think we'll ever see anything gory. I'm not even sure that they would release something like SWTOR, with the mature content that it has. But would I like to see a gory star wars? Hell yes.
On the question of Disney and mature themes / gore / near-gore, well, there is historical precedent. I draw your attention to a few films:
* The Black Hole. One main character is killed by evisceration (without gore, but it's blatantly obvious what happens) about two inches off-screen.
* Tron. The original Tron film had a substantial level of mature (not sexual, just serious) thematics.
* Tron: Legacy. In this film, there's more of the mature thematics, and one "red-shirt" type character is shot through the head by a large-calibre virtual air-to-air round.
* Dragonslayer. OK, it was funded by rather than made by Disney, but their name appears on the packaging. Some complex political intrigue themes and a substantial number of deaths. One character is shown being burned alive by the dragon.

And let's not forget a 1943 Disney classic whose title speaks for itself. High-Altitude Precision Bombing.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

OldVengeance
09.09.2017 , 04:45 PM | #19
I would absolutely not want a gory Star Wars movie, or game.

Disney has several franchises that are more mature or geared for audiences older than kids, but that's still different from a being gory.

Sith-Viscera
09.09.2017 , 06:24 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
On the question of Disney and mature themes / gore / near-gore, well, there is historical precedent. I draw your attention to a few films:
* The Black Hole. One main character is killed by evisceration (without gore, but it's blatantly obvious what happens) about two inches off-screen.
* Tron. The original Tron film had a substantial level of mature (not sexual, just serious) thematics.
* Tron: Legacy. In this film, there's more of the mature thematics, and one "red-shirt" type character is shot through the head by a large-calibre virtual air-to-air round.
* Dragonslayer. OK, it was funded by rather than made by Disney, but their name appears on the packaging. Some complex political intrigue themes and a substantial number of deaths. One character is shown being burned alive by the dragon.

And let's not forget a 1943 Disney classic whose title speaks for itself. High-Altitude Precision Bombing.
Thank you for doing the work for me and pointing out those films. I knew there was some Questionable Disney films out there. And the Black Hole is one of my favorite films.....
Referral link, Use it, don't use it. It's what ever. But if you do, Thank You.
http://www.swtor.com/r/22Ct9G