Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Umbara Stronghold Exploit

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ThadiusMoor
08.31.2017 , 10:01 AM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by supertimtaf View Post
Well, there would be so much peoples on the PTS doing this, since there is so much bug, that people wouldn't have to buy CC ever again. Which would just ruin half of the income of this game.
Nah, there is a limit by the number of total people a server can hold, and besides, having more would potentially make the game's income actually go up, not down. Do you know why?

People would actually get a better game and that would mean more people would want to play it.

With the way things are currently, it literally is going down the road to a dead end eventually unless they do something drastic to change what has become an all too familiar scene of pactch release followed by re-patch after re-patch...

I mean this really is starting to look like a clown-show when they do a major game update each and everytime, and it is getting worse as time goes on.
Read this thread: New Conquest System: First Impressions
Click here to use my refer a friend link! Thanks in advance!

Click here to read about the refer a friend program!

Transcendent
08.31.2017 , 11:50 AM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by DarrthXanadu View Post
However I am curious to see how you plan on dealing with the possibly 80% of the community that did the "exploit" seeing as you can't exactly ban half the game for it. **** dealing with people for doing something this small over a stronghold.
Well the simple solution is to remove access from those players who did gain the stronghold in this way and reset any tokens back to zero so they have to do it properly. As well as also doing the same to those who used the guild summons in the same manner.

I lost all interest in gaining the stronghold due to the conquest bonus not being the same as well as having to deactivate something else to gain it, when they resolve that part I'll get the rest of the tokens I need to access the room properly.

Thanks to everyone who has used my Refer a Friend link over the years, may the force be with you.

RagnarAugustus
08.31.2017 , 12:05 PM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

There is an exploit which was introduced in Game Update 5.4 that we want to make you aware of, so that you avoid it. Currently, it is possible for someone to use the Guild Ship Summon feature to bring you into the room where you buy the Stronghold, therefore subverting the process of gaining access to the room. This is not intended and is considered an exploit. Do not participate in this exploit. This bug will be fixed in 5.4a tomorrow.

Following the bug being fixed we will begin to investigate the impact of the exploit and what action is required. I will post a follow-up once that has occured. We take exploits very seriously and want to ensure that SWTOR remains an even playing field. Thank you to the vast majority of you, who avoided this exploit.

-eric
So surely Eric in addition to patching this horrible game destroying exploit you've also added the ability to have this SH without deactivating any of the others that I own right?

aerockyul
08.31.2017 , 12:12 PM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
I used a summons to get there - the guildie that summoned me didn't buy the stronghold because he would have had to deactivate another of his, but he had the room unlocked and we figured a summons might work to get us there (used that trick with many datacrons). I took his summons, used the terminal to visit a completed and publicly listed train because it's NEW and I wanted to see what they looked like - the two of us walked around pointing out the things we liked/disliked because we're active players, not cheaters. I didn't purchase one, he didn't purchase one, and until they remove the current limit to strongholds, I won't. I don't need another house I don't use, especially one that starts with a "U" that will be listed on the last page.

So yeah, I'm complaining because everything we did was 100% innocent and 100% a normal part of the game. I used ship summons to unlock the new Ops even...it's not an odd way to access places you otherwise couldn't.
It doesn't really matter, Bioware knows who did and didn't abuse the exploit. I'm sure they'll listen to the justifications and reverse any action they decide to take on it
Keeya, Lill'ya, Odessis, Vaisis, Mura Saki, HitessaJaista, Altheeka, Ayasi, Dunheiress
Kahntara, Kaytee'roxx Eko'va, Namie Amuro, Misphire Portrait Gallery
Satele Shan ReferralsProud Ashara...ite? Asharan? Team Ashara!

aerockyul
08.31.2017 , 12:15 PM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by DieAlteHexe View Post
It would NEVER have occurred to me to do this so I'm not sure it's all that obvious. Then again, I'll admit to not looking for ways to get around things by nature.
You're not the only one.

Nothing ever goes wrong when you take the path of least resistance or hope no one will catch you when you discover obvious exploits.
Keeya, Lill'ya, Odessis, Vaisis, Mura Saki, HitessaJaista, Altheeka, Ayasi, Dunheiress
Kahntara, Kaytee'roxx Eko'va, Namie Amuro, Misphire Portrait Gallery
Satele Shan ReferralsProud Ashara...ite? Asharan? Team Ashara!

Jeweledleah
08.31.2017 , 12:27 PM | #56
here's a suggestion to how they could have handled purchasing of a stronghold while still requiring a grind, but not hiding it behind a door. achievement gating! there are already achievements in game for doing that flashpoint a certain number of times. add an achievement for buying the key. unlocking that achievement? allows you to purchase the stornghold. it also automatically makes acess legacy legacywide. this way you don't have to hide the terminal, and eliminate any possibility of exploit. TADA!

DieAlteHexe
08.31.2017 , 12:50 PM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
You're not the only one.

Nothing ever goes wrong when you take the path of least resistance or hope no one will catch you when you discover obvious exploits.
I got told that I'm not cynical enough nor am I competitive enough. Fair points, both. Whilst I am not crazy about the re-running of the FP (that train makes me a bit queasy) I don't think I'd feel right cheating to get the train thingie. Easy to say, I s'pose since I'm not exactly overwhelmed by the train thingie. I could see sticking things on there that I don't know what else to do with. I think some of the centrepiece items would look neat flying down the not-rails. Hmm, I wonder about clearance. Wouldn't want Saddow's head to get knocked off.
---------------------------------------------------------------

-- It's the journey, not the destination. --

EricMusco
08.31.2017 , 05:58 PM | #58 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

As a heads up, the fix for this exploit did not get implemented along with the patch issues we had today. That means that this is still possible until we address it next week. I just want to reiterate that you should avoid this exploit until it is fixed.

Thanks everyone.
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

ThEeLcOnDoR
08.31.2017 , 06:49 PM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

As a heads up, the fix for this exploit did not get implemented along with the patch issues we had today. That means that this is still possible until we address it next week. I just want to reiterate that you should avoid this exploit until it is fixed.

Thanks everyone.
Is the offence bannable? I mean, I grinded to get access to the stronghold, so i know I am in the clear.
But I just wanted to ask openly in general. Exploits on Grand Theft Auto Online are usually dealt with by the head bodies by bans, so I am just curious as to which course of action will be taken should anyone choose to ignore your plea. Thanks Eric.
Darth Scorpio | SW:TOR Enthusiast-12x XP Master.
300+ on Darth Malgus! 156 on Satele Shan!
Follow SWTOR on Twitter @SWTOR | Like SWTOR on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q]

Burgdawg
08.31.2017 , 11:12 PM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by DarrthXanadu View Post
I don't even call this an exploit at all. INFACT, it's a simple line of code that you guys could of put in to prevent people from doing it, because you knew damn well they'd try to, but you didn't. However I am curious to see how you plan on dealing with the possibly 80% of the community that did the "exploit" seeing as you can't exactly ban half the game for it. **** dealing with people for doing something this small over a stronghold. You should be focusing on getting your players back, which at the moment all I see is EA's continued not caring about it's players, and only caring about how much money we give.
I'm with this guy, I hate when 'we reserve the right to ban people for exploits' becomes 'we're going to ban you for our incompetence.' You didn't think people would port there? Really? Planning on banning half your player base now?
Mace Windu: "I'm a prophet. I can see the future..." Thug: "Sure you can. What do you see?" Mace Windu: "You. Bleeding." ―Mace Windu and a very unfortunate thug