Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

AC Ability Tree Tiers and Opportunity Cost

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
AC Ability Tree Tiers and Opportunity Cost

Rimswick
12.13.2011 , 01:49 PM | #1
For all class AC's it seems the skill tiers are pretty fixed after tier 4. What I mean by that is, to get to the next tier you need 5 points invested in the current tier. Tier 1, 2 and 3 all have a possible 7 points you can invest in various abilities.

Tier 4, 5 and 6 are all 5 point tiers, so you are basically taking them if you like it or not to get to the final tier. The opportunity cost of tiers 4-6 is zero unless you want to place two or three point in tiers 1-3 somewhere but its not really needed. Maybe its me but it seems like you should be giving up some sort of utility (either PVE or PVP ability) in order to advance to the next tier.

Maybe its all too new and I'm not really seeing what I'm giving up yet until i unlock all my skills and abilities and have a better opportunity to plan my choices, but in looking at the last few tiers of the AC tree's the choices look to be pretty thoughtless.

Heezdedjim
12.13.2011 , 02:02 PM | #2
I think what you will find is that in PvE the encounters are scripted such that, in order for you to not suck at your chosen role, you will need to have fully talented whatever tree you have chosen. That's a design "feature" that BW developers have admitted to when discussing class balance and roles. But in PvP, where the developers cannot control balance as much, and where things like adaptability and mobility matter more than performing to a script, all of the "tested" and "proven" and "best" builds posted by long term beta players are hybrids, with close to 21/20 or 20/10/10 balances being typical. In PvP, the 31 point abilities just don't seem to be turning anyone on, and the points needed to get there in the last couple tiers seem even more of a waste.

Rimswick
12.13.2011 , 06:09 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Heezdedjim View Post
I think what you will find is that in PvE the encounters are scripted such that, in order for you to not suck at your chosen role, you will need to have fully talented whatever tree you have chosen. That's a design "feature" that BW developers have admitted to when discussing class balance and roles. But in PvP, where the developers cannot control balance as much, and where things like adaptability and mobility matter more than performing to a script, all of the "tested" and "proven" and "best" builds posted by long term beta players are hybrids, with close to 21/20 or 20/10/10 balances being typical. In PvP, the 31 point abilities just don't seem to be turning anyone on, and the points needed to get there in the last couple tiers seem even more of a waste.
That makes sense to a point. I just remember with Warcraft there was so much theory crafting and number crunching that would go into some end game raid builds for DPS and tank mitigation that these AC tiers seem thoughtless after level 24.

Bgiffo
12.13.2011 , 06:33 PM | #4
I prefer a greater amount of choice in the lower tiers. It makes deciding what to take after you've put 31 points into your main tree a bit harder.