Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is This A Joke? A Bug? Intentional?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is This A Joke? A Bug? Intentional?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lxndra
08.29.2017 , 01:25 PM | #21
Yah... this was just bare bones, flat-out, *wrong* and anyone with a spoonful of emotional intelligence would have anticipated the kind of anger it's eliciting.

"We have a surprise new stronghold!"
Great!

"We're doing something new with the unlock and access!"
Ooooookay, well, that sounds interesting. Way to think out of the box, like that you're trying something new, and we'll see how it goes.

"It released today! But you can't have it because we've hidden it behind a weekly cap you can't mathematically achieve the first week!"
Wait, um what? That bites. But I guess I can grind that fp so I can get it next Tuesday morning.

"Great job on that grind! BTW, you can't have the stronghold unless you deactivate one of the other strongholds you spent credits on and lots of time decorating."
You've *got* to be joking here.

I came on the forums looking for an announcement that it's a bug because I can't fathom they wouldn't have foreseen this potential blowback and taken steps to mitigate it before the 5.4 drop, either in communication or by increasing the limit. Of course people are upset. Our willingness to sink time into repeating a flashpoint over and over would likely have been quite different if we had known we wouldn't end up with an additional stronghold at the end.

DarthZaul
08.29.2017 , 01:45 PM | #22
It's a technical issue. Get over it.

Lxndra
08.29.2017 , 01:56 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthZaul View Post
No, it's really not. It's a communication issue. It's a decision-making issue. It's a poor-planning issue.

It's not technically unfeasible to increase the stronghold limit. Perhaps it's technically difficult requiring additional coding and QA hours, and perhaps the decision was made that the effort was too involved, too expensive or would take away from later deliverables that were deemed more important.

But the decision to not increase the limit should have been communicated as to inform their users that grinding the fp over and over would be a waste of their time. That is why people are not getting over it.

Tsillah
08.29.2017 , 02:01 PM | #24
First of all, everybody who thinks it's a grind to get this SH needs to get their heads checked. Running a flash point a few times does not qualify for grind. It just means your terribly lazy. You have the right to be lazy, just call it what it is.

Now, for the main topic.

BW have had the reactivation mechanic from the beginning. However, with each SH that was released there was also an increase in the total number of SHs you could have active. That was a patttern, but it was not a promise. I do get that it caught people off guard.

What BW should have done BEFORE releasing 5.4 is write this as part of the announcements or patch notes:

New Stronghold in Umbara. Please note:
You will not be able to get it till week two because of the weekly cap on the currency. We understand not everybody is happy with that but this is as intended.
Secondly, we will not be expanding the maximum amount of SHs you can have active with this release. So choose wisely.
Lastly, we said it is a smaller SH, but it is a fairly long train and will require over 400 decorations to fill up.

This is the sort of stuff I would like them to communicate. I do have a problem with them not communicating this properly so it actually causes unpleasant surprises. I do not understand that they leave this sort of thing out, when it can only lead to disappointment.

Also the hook placement on this SH is again terrible, albeit somewhat better than Manaan.

Personally I was ok with the weekly cap and I am ok with not being able to have all SH active. But I do understand other people's disappointment. What I do have a problem with is that it actually is a lot bigger than I thought it would be and have just gained another Stronghold I won't be able to fill up in a nice way because it will require too many decorations that I do not have enough of.

You still need to address the decoration issues. There are not enough copies available and not enough variety in basic types of things that you need to put together a nice Stronghold.

So sadly, it fails again. BW, you really need to open up the discussion with decorators because you barely respond to decorater complaints and you don't seem to get that there are some real issues that keep it from being a fully hobby within the game, which it could and should be really.
Galactic Command shall fall. May the Empire rise!

Gratuitous display of referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/jMVTyB Use it for some goodies or don't use it.

DarthSpuds
08.29.2017 , 02:02 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthZaul View Post
Yup.

Bioware technically have no clue what they are doing; they technically don't care about players' very valid concerns, and finally they technically CBA to even attempt to genuinely communicate with us.

Is that "technical" enough for you?

All The Best
#removeRNG
Sub Expires: 25 Sept 2017
If you think my comment has been helpful in anyway please >>Click Here<< for the Refer A Friend Bonus.

DarthSpuds
08.29.2017 , 02:04 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
First of all, everybody who thinks it's a grind to get this SH needs to get their heads checked. Running a flash point a few times does not qualify for grind. It just means your terribly lazy. You have the right to be lazy, just call it what it is.
Grind isn't just about time investment.

CoU is so poorly optimised, performs so appallingly, and the story writing is so bad that playing it even once felt like a grind.

All The Best
#removeRNG
If you think my comment has been helpful in anyway please >>Click Here<< for the Refer A Friend Bonus.

Tsillah
08.29.2017 , 02:14 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
Grind isn't just about time investment.

CoU is so poorly optimised, performs so appallingly, and the story writing is so bad that playing it even once felt like a grind.

All The Best
Still not grind.
Galactic Command shall fall. May the Empire rise!

Gratuitous display of referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/jMVTyB Use it for some goodies or don't use it.

DieAlteHexe
08.29.2017 , 02:20 PM | #28
Still not grind.
Nothing, NOTHING will ever compare to the grind in EQ (original) especially when you factor in dying right after you'd leveled and losing the level.

Grind in this game? Pfffft.
---------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I'm not Spartacus.

DarthSpuds
08.29.2017 , 02:30 PM | #29
Still not grind.
Still not a grind to you, you mean.

You don't get to tell me what feels like a grind to me.

All The Best
#removeRNG

EricMusco
08.29.2017 , 02:32 PM | #30 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks!

It is intended that we did not raise the Stronghold cap, due to its impact on Conquests. The idea of "place chairs in every hook" for your bonus is not a great experience. We would like to allow you to have the Strongholds you want and decorate them the way you want, without negative impact on Conquests. Right now those things are integrally tied together.

We may increase the Stronghold cap in the future, but first we want to address some of the issues related to Conquests.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]