Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Discussion Topic: Game Update 5.4 and the Next Roadmap

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Discussion Topic: Game Update 5.4 and the Next Roadmap
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Icykill_
08.19.2017 , 06:40 PM | #1361
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
I doubt that, considering the amount of bugs pervading the game at this stage in it's life cycle.
I agree, it would take more than a month because each change they've made that has broken something unrelated that was fine before and they would need to be investigated and isolate the bugs so any change didn't break something else.
I believe the bugs are because the old code is still being modified and the current coders still don't fully understand the nuances of it. When you customise a code, the person who originally does it can leave an ever so slight "accent" like some regions have in many countries. The thicker that "accent", the more trouble it can cause later on. If Bioware had just used a released version of Hero Engine and not an Alpha version they Frankensteined, then we probably wouldn't have most of the issues in the game and they could get support from the Hero Engine guys if needed.

But, I do think that new content should be put on hold for a few months so they can focus on fixing bugs because every change moving forward will only make them worse.
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦
Please click this Refer a Friend link for free stuff

SamuraiCrazy
08.19.2017 , 07:27 PM | #1362
Quote: Originally Posted by Icykill_ View Post
I agree, it would take more than a month because each change they've made that has broken something unrelated that was fine before and they would need to be investigated and isolate the bugs so any change didn't break something else.
I believe the bugs are because the old code is still being modified and the current coders still don't fully understand the nuances of it. When you customise a code, the person who originally does it can leave an ever so slight "accent" like some regions have in many countries. The thicker that "accent", the more trouble it can cause later on. If Bioware had just used a released version of Hero Engine and not an Alpha version they Frankensteined, then we probably wouldn't have most of the issues in the game and they could get support from the Hero Engine guys if needed.

But, I do think that new content should be put on hold for a few months so they can focus on fixing bugs because every change moving forward will only make them worse.
Seems like most games are having this exact issue lately.
Sirius Toc - Your Companion
The Fatman Shadowlands
Rip ' poor beta pixel
click this > http://www.swtor.com/r/HvrTfq

SaveTheMonkeys
08.19.2017 , 07:30 PM | #1363
That would be viable if all developers were programmers, but they're not.

docbenwayddo
08.19.2017 , 07:32 PM | #1364
Quote: Originally Posted by SamuraiCrazy View Post
Seems like most games are having this exact issue lately.
99 bugs in the code today
99 bugs in the code
Git pull the file
Fix and compile
127 bugs in the co... crap.

IntegrationArch
08.19.2017 , 07:36 PM | #1365
There are not many mainline HeroEmgine support devs either, most all multiplatform games are Frostbite 3(if its EA) or some other Dx11/12 vulken based game engine with visual debuggers. PS4 & XBONE games are 64bit too

commanderwar
08.19.2017 , 07:37 PM | #1366

actually a friend of mine who use to play SWG said star wars galaxy MMO did this from what I heard there was a Hugh backlash because they barely any content while doing it. They never did it again
here's my refer a friend link
http://www.swtor.com/r/QWYrwx

IntegrationArch
08.19.2017 , 07:43 PM | #1367
Stwor has a genius record for the most video and spoken content

Transcendent
08.20.2017 , 11:24 AM | #1368
Quote: Originally Posted by docbenwayddo View Post
99 bugs in the code today
99 bugs in the code
Git pull the file
Fix and compile
127 bugs in the co... crap.
Well, that's probably closer to the truth than many realise. The problem really occurs when they're also up against a deadline, the QA report any issues (assuming a robust QA system is in place), the QA manager feeds that info back to the team, which is then completely over-ridden by whomever is in charge due to the deadline.

I mean we've seen these issues with potentially game breaking bugs for a long time, even when issues get reported on the PTS, no solid fix is in place when something goes live. Which leads me to believe that they simply do not have the development team in place to actually fix the issues in a timely manner.

I dread to think of what mess the code for this game is in currently, it's not like they can just create a jit branch and tinker away without having an effect on everything else. Unless I'm completely mistaken.

Thanks to everyone who has used my Refer a Friend link over the years, may the force be with you.

supertimtaf
08.20.2017 , 11:45 AM | #1369
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
I dread to think of what mess the code for this game is in currently
It reminds me of any little kid, that when you ask him if he cleaned his room, put things in order and everything else, this kid nod and smiles at you, saying "Yes, everything is good". But just by the look of it you know he's lying, and that there is still some problem within this room.

The devs of this game are this kid, trying to say that everything is fine, they got everything under control and all is well in a good world. And us, we are the adults that watch over them with this suspicious look, as they're trying to hide the mess behind them.

Problem is that whatever we say, these guys won't assume they messed up something and that they have not enough people to fix the big mass of issues that keeps piling up after every update...
For me the problem isn't that they don't resolve it. It is more that they don't wanna admit that there is something wrong in order to begin to fix it.
Eliadil - Darkness Assassin Darth Malgus

Feel free to use my referal link if you liked my help ! Free stuff for you and me !

KeithKanneg
08.22.2017 , 05:22 AM | #1370 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey all,

I've been heads down on whole variety of things the last few weeks, so I haven't been as active on the forums nor have I been able to keep up with PMs. I've also been drafting the next Roadmap update and making changes based on feedback I've been given and read here in the thread. It'll be few weeks before the Roadmap is ready to release, as we're making final refinements to the content and delivery schedules.

Sorry about having to delay Game Update 5.4, but as Musco pointed out, it was too impactful to release. For those who earn the ability to open the Umbara Stronghold, I'm sure you'll find the 5,000 credit price versus the normal 2M credits a nice change.

Lastly, we've had a few queuing hiccups on our East Coast servers over the past couple weeks, but we're making some adjustments in tomorrow's maintenance that should resolve those going forward.

-Keith--
Keith Kanneg | Game Producer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]