Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Invasion of the Gold Sellers to the GTN

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Invasion of the Gold Sellers to the GTN

AshurDarksoul
08.16.2017 , 04:43 AM | #11
Interesting comments. Are you suggesting that i give up crafting? An aspect of mmo's i have always enjoyed? You statements seem to try to discourage players from investing time in crafting due to the minimal profit margins. If crafting end game wares wasnt so profitable then why would potential gold farmers waste their time attempting to dominate the market?

Ive made a fair share of credits crafting these wares and selling them with legitinate competitors which i enjoy competing with. I work full time in real life, i cannot play 24/7 so i cannot attempt to "control" the market, nor would i want to. No fun without competition...It has afforded me the ability to avoid spending real dollars on gamble packs for difficult to get items which is another aspect of the game i enjoy (space barbie). Allowing gold farmers to control this aspect of the game force people like me to feel as though we are being corralled into either buying credits from these 3rd party site, risking rule violations or buying gamble packs for a dismal chance.of getting items we are interested in.

I wont do either.

I am a fan of star wars. I enjoy this game. However, i will not be pressured into spending more than my monthly subscriber cost by either Bioware or the gold farmers. In the end, like many for more reasons than my own, if the game is no longer enjoyable....well....

Ashur

This is NOT the Friends Referral Link your looking for ...
http://www.swtor.com/r/bzx7pl

AlrikFassbauer
08.16.2017 , 05:10 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Aeneas_Falco View Post
Any chance these are just whales playing the market?

Some players religiously watch GTN prices on on all the servers, and if one high end item is selling for a lot less on one they'll buy up, transfer to the server where it is listed high, and sell there.
Which is exactly why I only craft for myself and good friends anymore. I hardly ever sell pieces - and most definitively valuable pieces - anymore.

I'm so sick of this already - but that's just how capitalism works.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kernel_Cinders View Post
I play on Begeren Colony and I have seen players selling items that have had their name completely removed. When you see an item that has had the crafter's name removed, that means that the item was bought on another server and then transferred to another server.
The name can get removed in another situation, too : A very good friend of mine did craft a piece for me - and a while after that she transferred that character to another server (she has her multitude of characters & legacies spread over several servers, but a thing she almost never does is crafting).

Well, the name on the item got removed. I do still know it is from her because she hardly ever produces things, as far as I know, and only her friends, and this particular piece was something I had asked her for a few years ago, because i couldn't produce it.

I didn't do it to resell the items, but if I had wanted to, I could have easily tripled my investment. That's basically what is going on but it doesn't mean they are selling credits and nothing they are doing is against the rules. If a person can buy 100M worth of items and resell them for 300M for only 180CC (90CC per transfer) then they are going to do it and there's really nothing that can be done about it.
And this is exactly hoe capitalism works. Which is why I'm watching the economy a bit as an aquarium to see how all this works. It is very interesting, how the rules reapply themselves all again - and that apparingly no matter which MMO, which says to me that people are all the same.
Complex minds
will create
Complex problems.

notanjelika
08.16.2017 , 12:21 PM | #13
When you see an item that has had the crafter's name removed, that means that the item was bought on another server and then transferred to another server.
Not necessarily true. I crafted lightsabers for my sith warrior on a Republic character i deleted then, the lightsabers crafted by him had the mention about the crafters name being completely worn off. So i guess it is possible for an item to not display the name of the crafter if the character was deleted.
Please bring back Jaesa Willsaam

Kernel_Cinders
08.16.2017 , 01:18 PM | #14
It sounds like that the name of the crafter doesn't show if the creator of said item isn't on the same server as the item. It must be a coding thing of SWTOR. *shrug*

KC

orangenee
08.16.2017 , 06:19 PM | #15
200,000,000 credits for a set of Revan reborn greaves anyone?

Anyone at all?

If anyone wants it it's on the Progenitor GTN server right now.

Some ******* people......
SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/Kqsyhb #FreeMalgus #MarrReborn

SeCKSEgai
08.17.2017 , 12:52 AM | #16
I wasn't saying to quit crafting - simply to look at it from a different perspective.

If you look at crafting primarily as a means of income you're bound to be frustrated. However, as a "supplemental" income it's a lot less frustrating and that's basically just changing a state of mind.

I've crafted since my first day subbed (when I was subbed) and never completely stopped. In 4.0 I made quite the effort to be able to craft 220 implants and relics because they were far more rare and I preferred to pick the name it was crafted by. 224 was the absolute best available and was not craftable but wasn't a massive step up from the 220 standard.

Now, I'm not familiar with all the new gear tiers, but just as the BIS (Best in Slot) gear could not be crafted, I would assume that's essentially the case now. Now that the best gear available no longer requires operation drops, I think it would be safe to assume the end game market takes a hit.

There's nothing wrong in enjoying crafting. But, you also have to keep realistic expectations. If people are selling en-masse crafted items for less than the general value of the crafting mats - trying to compete with them only ruins your bottom line. Sometimes you have to make an extra effort to find a niche market with little competition and a decent bit of demand.
Réiyn - Maryss - Rölánd - Monéy - Retrocide - Reiyñ

Rélentless - Reíyn - Rölañd - Tàtiana

KhaoTicTycoon
08.17.2017 , 04:44 AM | #17
Like others have said, I don't believe it's "gold sellers" that have gotten into the crafting scene; just "whales". The most likely scenario is that people are transferring their crafting toons between servers to check prices etc while leaving their bank / GTN toon on the home server whichever that maybe. That is just the state of things given how cheap server transfers are; nothing that can be done about that.

*edit: As a side note, crafting is definitely still a highly profitable venture but does require a significant upfront cost, a fact that most people overlook, which will naturally deter new people from entering the market. It's simple economics.

SeCKSEgai
08.17.2017 , 09:45 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by KhaoTicTycoon View Post
Like others have said, I don't believe it's "gold sellers" that have gotten into the crafting scene; just "whales". The most likely scenario is that people are transferring their crafting toons between servers to check prices etc while leaving their bank / GTN toon on the home server whichever that maybe. That is just the state of things given how cheap server transfers are; nothing that can be done about that.

*edit: As a side note, crafting is definitely still a highly profitable venture but does require a significant upfront cost, a fact that most people overlook, which will naturally deter new people from entering the market. It's simple economics.
I would say that the most overlooked cost (or undervalued) is that of time. When people sell a crafted item for less than the crafting mat value where they think their mats are "free" I see them undervaluing their time spent to get them. I think people are usually aware of the upfront costs - it's a lot more practical to simply buy from crafters versus building up the craft skills and getting the necessary schematics if you only need a handful of items. If you've got alts galore, crafting can save time and offer convenience.
Réiyn - Maryss - Rölánd - Monéy - Retrocide - Reiyñ

Rélentless - Reíyn - Rölañd - Tàtiana

Kernel_Cinders
08.17.2017 , 02:07 PM | #19
I've been crafting for a long time. I started with having 6 characters, one of each craft type. Over time I added 16 more characters, each having 3 crew skills. As of now, I have 22 Level 70 characters all with Rank 50 companions and their respective crafting and crew skills at 600. Yes, it took a long time to get all of my characters' companions to Rank 50 but it is worth the time and credits invested. I also keep stacks of components and materials in my Legacy Bank with each Quality type having its own page. Using three of the six pages for just crafting materials takes up a lot of space but I keep it organized.

Below is a list to show how I broke down the gathering crew skills between all 22 characters.

Archaeology: 6
Bioanalysis: 8
Diplomacy: 4
Investigation: 4
Scavenging: 8
Slicing: 16
Treasure Hunting: 8
Underworld: 6

The Slicing crew skill is dominant due to the fact that a lot of items use Slicing materials now, both Blue and Purple.

It's a lot of work, time, and credits to get a crafting setup like I have but I think it's worth it. I finally finished collecting all of the Galactic Command Tier I schematics, so now it's time to work on Tier II. Yay for GC grinding right? *lol*

KC

psandak
08.17.2017 , 05:44 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by SeCKSEgai View Post
I wasn't saying to quit crafting - simply to look at it from a different perspective.

If you look at crafting primarily as a means of income you're bound to be frustrated. However, as a "supplemental" income it's a lot less frustrating and that's basically just changing a state of mind.

I am of two minds on this: on the one hand, crafting IS my primary source of income; for me all other income streams are a bonus and never come close to my crafting income. That said, I have been working crafting for 5 years in this game. On the other hand, like I just said, I have been working crafting for five years, so I know all the tricks. Someone just starting out and wanting crafting to be their primary revenue stream is going to feel underwhelmed.

...snip....

Now, I'm not familiar with all the new gear tiers, but just as the BIS (Best in Slot) gear could not be crafted, I would assume that's essentially the case now. Now that the best gear available no longer requires operation drops, I think it would be safe to assume the end game market takes a hit.

Yes, as always the best gear available is not craftable. But they have added a wrinkle in that each tier has craftable and non-craftable and the non-craftable is slightly better stats:

Tier 1: 230 all craftable
Tier 2: 234 craftable 236 not craftable
Tier 3: 240 craftable 242 not craftable
Tier 4: 246 craftable 248 not craftable.

Add to that, that the left side pieces (ear, implant, relic) are not optimized (higher endurance, lower power)

And while it is true that one can get rating 248 (BiS) gear without ever setting foot in large group content (operations or PvP), the rate at which 248 stuff drops from command crates is quite low; on average it takes hundreds of tier 4 command crates to get a full set of 248 for one character.

There's nothing wrong in enjoying crafting. But, you also have to keep realistic expectations. If people are selling en-masse crafted items for less than the general value of the crafting mats - trying to compete with them only ruins your bottom line. Sometimes you have to make an extra effort to find a niche market with little competition and a decent bit of demand.

Could not agree more. Which is why for the most part, I stay away from crafting end game stuff for profit. Most of what I craft for profit is 228 (bottom rung/entry level end game) or lower. I have a lot of end game schematics but I usually only craft them for myself or friends/guildies.
Quote: Originally Posted by SeCKSEgai View Post
I would say that the most overlooked cost (or undervalued) is that of time. When people sell a crafted item for less than the crafting mat value where they think their mats are "free" I see them undervaluing their time spent to get them. I think people are usually aware of the upfront costs - it's a lot more practical to simply buy from crafters versus building up the craft skills and getting the necessary schematics if you only need a handful of items. If you've got alts galore, crafting can save time and offer convenience.
ABSOLUTELY!!! Whenever I read the phrase "but mats are free" I cringe.

In MMOs currency and time are interchangeable resources: spend credits save time, spend time save credits; your time has value. Don't sell yourself short.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date