Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Appearance Customization for Weapons

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Appearance Customization for Weapons

SteveTheCynic
08.14.2017 , 03:47 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
It's more difficult then just adding appearance slots for armor. For one thing.. you have to account for sounds, tunings, color crystal, and any how any current effects on a weapons (some come with lasers markers by default for example) in any such scheme. And then they have to establish how much and how far a player can go with the use of a weapon slot + a weapon appearance slot. Are they going to allow players to equip one class of weapon, but display a totally different one? Or will they lock it down to class specific weapons in both an active and an appearance slot? It matters.. and I'm sure it takes some effort to A) develop a scheme with clear use boundaries and B) do so in a manner that cannot be easily exploited by players.

I am not in any way saying it's not doable.. only that it is clearly more complicated then what is required for armor slots.
My suspicion is that introducing such a thing would be complicated by another thing: most-but-not-all classes can choose different weapons. (As far as I know, the exceptions are the pistol classes and the Operative and Vanguard.) Singlesabre classes can choose sabre or vibrosword. Dualsabre classes can choose singlesabre, vibrosword, dualsabre, sabrestaff, or electrostaff. Commandos can choose HBG or blaster rifle. Snipers can choose sniper rifle or blaster rifle.

So do they allow mixed weapon types? What does the Infiltration Shadow's Disk Of Death(1) look like if you are using a singlesabre for looks? What do those Gunnery Commando attacks look like that require an HBG, if the Commando is using a blaster rifle? Yes, of course, it's solvable, but it's more than just adding an appearance slot.

So maybe they don't let you mix weapon types, aside from vibroblade <=> singlesabre and electrostaff <=> dualsabre <=> sabrestaff. That could work, but what happens if you change weapon type? What if you start wielding a singlesabre with a dualsabre in the active visual slot?

No, we don't need to solve these problems, but we do need to be aware of them, and we do need to consider the possible consequences. (One way to avoid those issues is to bar players from using "off-spec" weapons: no blaster rifles for Commandos and Snipers, no singlesabres or vibroswords for Assassins and Shadows, and so on.)
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

Bobby_McDonald
08.14.2017 , 06:20 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
My suspicion is that introducing such a thing would be complicated by another thing: most-but-not-all classes can choose different weapons. (As far as I know, the exceptions are the pistol classes and the Operative and Vanguard.) Singlesabre classes can choose sabre or vibrosword. Dualsabre classes can choose singlesabre, vibrosword, dualsabre, sabrestaff, or electrostaff. Commandos can choose HBG or blaster rifle. Snipers can choose sniper rifle or blaster rifle.

So do they allow mixed weapon types? What does the Infiltration Shadow's Disk Of Death(1) look like if you are using a singlesabre for looks? What do those Gunnery Commando attacks look like that require an HBG, if the Commando is using a blaster rifle? Yes, of course, it's solvable, but it's more than just adding an appearance slot.

So maybe they don't let you mix weapon types, aside from vibroblade <=> singlesabre and electrostaff <=> dualsabre <=> sabrestaff. That could work, but what happens if you change weapon type? What if you start wielding a singlesabre with a dualsabre in the active visual slot?

No, we don't need to solve these problems, but we do need to be aware of them, and we do need to consider the possible consequences. (One way to avoid those issues is to bar players from using "off-spec" weapons: no blaster rifles for Commandos and Snipers, no singlesabres or vibroswords for Assassins and Shadows, and so on.)
You are right I did not think about that. The only solution I see is the one you described: remove the passive that allow classes to equip weapon they cannot really use for fighting with their normal rotation.

These passives are historical things anyway back from the time where you would choose your advanced class later in the game.

Nowadays you start as a commando from level 1. There is no way you can ever become a vanguard so you dont need the passive that allows you to equip rifles anymore. So I think its time to remove those passives.

kodrac
08.14.2017 , 07:53 AM | #13
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=921630

Quote: Originally Posted by CharlesBoyd View Post
We've been discussing this one a lot recently, and we're working on how we could fit it into the schedule for this year. Once that gets firmed up we'll let y'all know
One FREE character transfer -> CLICKY plus 7 days FREE -> FAQ