"Launcher is being updated. Please wait"

RoosterV

Hi guys,

Those running this on wine and are struggling with the launcher not popping up (but is running in task manager) need to actually create a new shortcut from the virtual drive with the new fix as the 'updated' one is now gone. This may seem obvious to some but I'll post it here anyways :p

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should be grateful because they are spending their time to try fix a problem for an unsupported operating system that you should have moved away from once the company who makes it stopped supporting it.

It's YOUR fault you didn't upgrade your system once microsoft started officially supporting it.

And, if SWTOR had taken the Blizzard route and said in advance "Hey, the certs expire in October and so does your access to SWTOR", maybe people would be more understanding. At the very least, you could say "Hey, you were told in advance so it's on you if you ignore the warnings."

As it is, between this and finding out about the Blizzard announcement, the final straw has landed. I'm getting a low-end gaming laptop (or desktop but I'm kinda leaning Laptop) so, among other things, I don't have to game on one computer (The XP, much like my 95, will continue to serve as a legacy gaming box) and browse on a laptop. All the same, people have a right to be irritated at a sudden loss of the launcher without any forewarning when it has worked fine up until now.

Also, the initial issue wasn't just an XP/Vista issue so there's that too.

7 and 10. But honestly, if your rig is still running XP you'll have to upgrade the hardware just to run the new OS. You'll be better off with a new machine in the long run.

I'm on windows 10 and its not working for me.. been siting on the launcher screen for 30 min

And, if SWTOR had taken the Blizzard route and said in advance "Hey, the certs expire in October and so does your access to SWTOR", maybe people would be more understanding. At the very least, you could say "Hey, you were told in advance so it's on you if you ignore the warnings."

As it is, between this and finding out about the Blizzard announcement, the final straw has landed. I'm getting a low-end gaming laptop (or desktop but I'm kinda leaning Laptop) so, among other things, I don't have to game on one computer (The XP, much like my 95, will continue to serve as a legacy gaming box) and browse on a laptop. All the same, people have a right to be irritated at a sudden loss of the launcher without any forewarning when it has worked fine up until now.

Also, the initial issue wasn't just an XP/Vista issue so there's that too.

They can be annoyed at their inability to be running a supported O/S. It's not on the developer to test their product and ensuring there are going to be no issues with their product on operating systems that are end of life.

Good on Blizzard for noticing though but with a game that is like 10+ times larger than this in regards to population and similar in development resources it seems they have an edge in noticing these sort of things.

Yes, of course they do.

http://www.swtor.com/info/faq

You would certainly expect some reduced functionality with base system requirements. You would not expect to be unable to log in at all.

My unsupported OS is fully upgraded. Windows XP, on the other hand, is a supported OS.

If Bioware wants to stop supporting some of their loyal customers, that's up to them. They should, of course, announce this in advance, not just hotbreak an entire OS. That's obviously an accident, not a design goal.

With such a selfish set of statements (screw people who can't or won't upgrade, I could potentially perceive a small benefit if they threw you under the bus, so do it!), trust us, you don't want us to be honest with you.

Told you . . .

Requirements can change without notice, look at how often the site info is updated. LoL

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14223/windows-xp-end-of-support

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/22882/windows-vista-end-of-support

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Selfish? When I'm stating facts and the progression of technology and security?

Example:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/113973

New tech but it wasn't a W10 update that broke it but a MS Visual C++ service pack update that missed the SR300 camera driver.

New launcher? Good chance it has a similar update inside that is incompatible with legacy operating systems, thus stay current and you'll have fewer conflicts. Explain how this is being selfish.

Oh please do. I'd rather have honest reponses and discussions than someone blowing smoke. But I don't let peanut gallery comments impact my life. I'm a bad in-game and troll on the forums.

And I'm hungry.

Alright folks, here is the current status from the team. Since Microsoft has dropped support for both Windows XP and Vista, it has been very challenging for us to work through a solution with them. Separately, the team is working to try to offer a solution for those of you who are still unable to play. Unfortunately, right now that is still not in place.

We apologize to those of you who are in that state, we are trying to arrive at a solution as soon as we can.

-eric

Well, hate to say it but I was right.

Yet again.

Edited by Liquor

What do people honestly expect running operating systems that are end of life with their developer.

Like ... let's say ... BSD ?

Besides, you really really don't want to know how many Business Applications are at their end of life, but still used, because there just is no way to migrate their data. I've seen that personally last year. An old version, which was not supported anymore, was still used, because their data format is still incompatible to modern versions of the same or any other program.

I mean, with remarks like this, it clearly shows that you don't seem to know about non-IT-Business Software, like in Hospitals, for example. Even professionals regularly write in business-oriented IT magazines here that they MUST use software as old as Windows 3.1 (yes !) because there simply is no compatibility to be found anywhere !

How lucky we are that we are just gamers and give a sh** on database compatibility of business software !

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Hi guys,

Those running this on wine and are struggling with the launcher not popping up (but is running in task manager) need to actually create a new shortcut from the virtual drive with the new fix as the 'updated' one is now gone. This may seem obvious to some but I'll post it here anyways :p

None of this is obvious to me. Thanks for posting something constructive. I wish more folks on this thread were doing the same.

Bioware is trying to find a work around for those of us affected. I appreciate everyone who is actually trying to help them do that.

You should be grateful because they are spending their time to try fix a problem for an unsupported operating system that you should have moved away from once the company who makes it stopped supporting it.

It's YOUR fault you didn't upgrade your system once microsoft started officially supporting it.

No one *should* have changed their working OS. No one has to upgrade. Right now, your lowest drama OS is probably Windows 7, but eventually that will be flagged unsupported by Microsoft (who has financial incentive to screw over everyone not feeding them telemetry on 10). But just as people won't leave XP, many won't leave 7. And if Bioware, or any other company, is supporting a game on an older OS, they'll have to deal with some workarounds for legacy, just as you are seeing now.

Alright folks, here is the current status from the team. Since Microsoft has dropped support for both Windows XP and Vista, it has been very challenging for us to work through a solution with them. Separately, the team is working to try to offer a solution for those of you who are still unable to play. Unfortunately, right now that is still not in place.

We apologize to those of you who are in that state, we are trying to arrive at a solution as soon as we can.

-eric

In the meantime, it should be noted that the solution first offered on Reddit and reposted here actually works. It is temporary, but it moves the cutoff date well into October, giving you 2 months to fix it until then.

This is absolute BS, my laptop is windows 10 same as my desktop and it was doing the same thing. Now the stupid launcher won't even SHOW even though it says it is running in task manager. *** is taking so long?

This is absolute BS, my laptop is windows 10 same as my desktop and it was doing the same thing. Now the stupid launcher won't even SHOW even though it says it is running in task manager. *** is taking so long?

Same here, with Windows XP. It doesn't even show up, despite running somewhere in the background.

No one *should* have changed their working OS.

I agree. No-one should be forced to do so, not even by some forum posters who seem to know otherwise.

But just as people won't leave XP, many won't leave 7.

ALL, I repeat ALL my working environments run EXCLUSIVELY Windows 7. They do so in an virtualized form, but it still is Windows 7. Via my father I heard from IT professionals saying that they just WON'T upgrade to Windows 8-10. Simply because the thousands of workers in bureau environments both in business and in government just don't understand the new Windows UI. These are partially secretaries working for 40 years or even more for government, with ages of 50-60 years. Of course, some are more mentally agile than others, but still, some aren't. Are you going to fire workers with DECADES of knowledge and experience simply because they don't understand a given UI ? In U.S. business, this might work, but not here.

But gamers know it better. They are ready to throw everything away that doesn't fit their tastes.

Me, I'm not that much technology-drunk like the evangelists of Windows 10 or of 64bit are.

(who has financial incentive to screw over everyone not feeding them telemetry on 10).

And those evangelists are ready to feed them. Like they feed google. Like they feed everything else. They don't even know what the word "privacy" means nowadays.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

The launcher has finally updated on my laptop which runs Windows 10, it took a long time and it reorganised some files for quite a while, from as far as I can tell.

This said, it still does not work on anything that is not Windows 10, I have tried to see if I could run it on Windows 7 via Playonmac, for my Mac, but the issue remains. I have tried to do the same via crossover, by using windows 7, I get a certificate expired error message. So for now I can at least use my laptop.

Now I find this should not have happened in the first place, they knew it was going to happen, as soon as XP was out of support. It should not impact people that use Windows 7 at all, that's what I don't understand, however it seems it does.

one thats rude i have 4 windows vista and xp computers and thought i would never need to buy one again , im betting thats most peopple with this problem, 2 when is this going to be fixed ? if they are working on it i kinda think it would have been resolved by now....so the question is when! WHEN!

one thats rude i have 4 windows vista and xp computers and thought i would never need to buy one again , im betting thats most peopple with this problem, 2 when is this going to be fixed ? if they are working on it i kinda think it would have been resolved by now....so the question is when! WHEN!

Making legacy systems work with modern systems isn't exactly easy and sometimes impossible especially when it comes to operating systems. Let this be a lesson. When.things become outdated - upgrade ASAP.

This said, it still does not work on anything that is not Windows 10, I have tried to see if I could run it on Windows 7 via Playonmac, for my Mac, but the issue remains. I have tried to do the same via crossover, by using windows 7, I get a certificate expired error message. So for now I can at least use my laptop.

Dude, that is not "anything that is not Windows 10". That is Wine, and also Wine. Neither are Windows 7. Wine has a patch that has been submitted, and eventually stuff like PlayOnMac will inherit it. But setting your version to Windows 7 in a compatibility layer is not Windows 7.

It should not impact people that use Windows 7 at all, that's what I don't understand, however it seems it does.

Not that they could or will leave it like it is, but do NOT pretend you are using Windows 7. This works fine in Windows 7 or this forum would be on absolute fire. You clicking a box for a Wine version string is not the same as you installing Windows 7.

----

And then....

Making legacy systems work with modern systems isn't exactly easy and sometimes impossible especially when it comes to operating systems. Let this be a lesson. When.things become outdated - upgrade ASAP.

Windows 10 is not an upgrade. Windows 7 is not an upgrade to many people. There's no lesson here except to Bioware- test your stuff better. This is not a user problem. This is not a reason to "upgrade". This is just a problem Bioware needs to fix.

I updated from windows Vista to 7 and game is downloading now and haven"t have any issues yet.Don't mind having to update but should of had notice.I lost a week of play time and missed an Event i wanted to take part in.An extra 500 cc would be nice but i won't hold my breath...lol

I updated from windows Vista to 7 and game is downloading now and haven"t have any issues yet.Don't mind having to update but should of had notice.I lost a week of play time and missed an Event i wanted to take part in.An extra 500 cc would be nice but i won't hold my breath...lol

500 CC because you were running an obsolete operating system? Pfft, keep dreaming. If anything you should pay them 500 CC for having to take the time to fix this for people who can't keep their bloody systems up to date.

Windows 10 is not an upgrade. Windows 7 is not an upgrade to many people. There's no lesson here except to Bioware- test your stuff better. This is not a user problem. This is not a reason to "upgrade". This is just a problem Bioware needs to fix.

So based on this, then Bioware needs to make sure the game always runs on older OS? That they need to always support XP / Vista even in 10 - 15 years later assuming things are still around then?

so say in 10 - 15 years it stops working on XP that person shouldn't change OS then, BW needs to make it work still on XP?

Even WoW doesn't support XP or Vista BTW its even in their System specs:

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/World-of-Warcraft-System-Requirements

So if I'm on XP then I should expect Blizzard to also support it too? By the same standard they should support XP just as much as Bioware should too right?

I mean by your response it sounds like BW is never allowed to drop support for their game for older OS such as XP or Vista that Microsoft; the creator of the OS, doesn't even support anymore and says you should get a newer OS.

Edited by Nightblazer

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Before we get into the fix we strongly recommend that any users who are on XP or Vista upgrade their OS to Win 7 or newer if at all possible. This will allow you to play SWTOR going forward without any need for this fix. If you upgrade at a later date after using it, additional steps will likely be required to get SWTOR to run. This could even include a full re-install.

Note: Only use the below solution if you are receiving the "Certificate Authentication Failed" error on a Windows XP or Vista PC! Issues on any other OS or any other errors will not be addressed.

Here are the steps to take:

• Restart your computer! This is very important as it ensures that no versions of the launcher are currently running.
  • Download this utility: http://cdn-patch.swtor.com/patch/LauncherRepairUtilityP1.8.2_EOL_xpvista.exe
  • Run the launcher repair utility (note this utility will force your launcher to be on BitRaider, this is mandatory for the fix to work)
  • Once complete, start your launcher and you should now be able to login normally. (If you were on SSN and had to switch to BitRaider you should expect a lengthy verification period. This is normal!)

If this does not work, here are a few things to check:

• If the launcher will not run or you are still receiving the error. Restart your computer and then ensure the launcher is not running in task manager. Then follow the steps above to run the utility..
  • The launcher repair utility will attempt to remove a folder called "patch" from the SWTOR directory. The launcher may not run properly if this delete did not occur. You can try deleting this folder manually and then follow the steps above to run the utility.

This fix will allow your game to continue to run until October. It may run beyond that, but there are no guarantees.

This launcher issue has highlighted for us that going forward, we will be unable to support Windows XP and Vista for The Old Republic. Since Microsoft has discontinued support for both of those OS, we will need to follow suit since we cannot reliably fix any issues that could arise.

The fix above will allow you to continue to access SWTOR until October. Beyond that, should any other issues crop up for XP or Vista users we will be unable to provide any assistance.

Thank you for your patience as we worked through this!

-eric

hahaha ok I guess everyone saying you guys were just gonna drop XP support were correct. Thanks for trying though.

For Wine users (this includes PlayOnMac, PlayOnLinux, and whatever other Wine-derivative is in flavor), the Wine patch made by a user earlier in this thread looks like it was accepted into the baseline, and I believe that wine-staging 2.14 will have it. This means that you should *probably* be ok once it is everywhere, which one assumes will be before the certificate expiry (which will kill the old launcher, probably?) in October.

Obviously, there will be more on this as it develops, but if you pull over Wine+patch and do the dance right now, it should work with the newest launcher anyway, so I'm pretty confident non-Windows users have a solid path forward.

hahaha ok I guess everyone saying you guys were just gonna drop XP support were correct. Thanks for trying though.

Its completely fair though why would someone continue to support a operating system that even it's own makers don't. Given how vulnerable xp is now nobody should be using it anyway.